It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightning laser weapon developed by US Army

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I still do not think this tops of my current favorite technology. The real threat to a Nation are submarines. However , we now have technology that our submarines carry that can produce an extreme sonic blast affecting a vessel within 20 miles within 180 degree radius BEHIND our submarine.

The sonic pulse will shake the crews internal organs so violently it would most likely disable the submarine if not entirely neutralize the crew members on board.

Destroying a Nuclear submarine ... carrying nuclear warheads out in the ocean ... is a very bad idea. This weapon lets us kill the crews without damaging the actual submarine itself .. well ..without destroying the submarine , lets put it that way.

However , if i am not mistaken , this weapon was actually causing a pandemic of issues with sea creatures. So i believe the weapon , instead of being carried on tow buoys , can now be launched as a torpedo and the torpedo directs the sonic pulse directly ahead of its nose , lessening the sonar disruption of sea life. Although not eliminating it.
edit on 2-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
They've been working on this for years. It's got a lot of problems. It started off as a DARPA project, a private company was formed to pursue it, they had sort of sporadic luck getting it past crappy and into workable, and still aren't there.

It's huge, finicky, unstable, and a POS.

See also: Ionatron.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
The possible applications of this weapon cannot be underestimated in my opinion. If fine control over the output of the lightning can be achieved, this weapon could be used to render mobile armor, and anything with an engine utterly useless. Furthermore, if the range would allow for it, this technology would be a fearsome addition to an AA battery. Although most airframes are designed to funnel lightning around the craft, and pilot and passengers (such as there might be), a precisely modulated burst of lightning could give off enough of an electromagnetic field to wreck the electronic systems aboard an aircraft. In the case of those aircraft like helicopters and Eurofighters which rely heavily on their on board systems to achieve and maintain loft, this weapon could be utterly terrifying.

And of course, on a rainy day one would not want to face down a fortification which boasted one or two of these as part of its area defense package. A squad caught out in a puddle by one of these things would go from fresh meat to extra crispy in less than an eye blink. Used on a mobile platform for attack purposes, one could easily see these things used to eliminate or disrupt communication towers, generator stations and other key infrastructure from a distance, rather than requiring sappers to close with a target and engage in their craft to dismantle or render inoperative, any such infrastructure item.

This weapon is straight out of science fiction. Tesla Cannon anyone?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

2. Ionatron is a developer and manufacturer of Directed Energy Weapon
technology products and other products based on its Laser Induced Plasma Channel
(LIPC) for the agencies of the U.S. Government focused on national security.

3. On June 27, 2005, the Company heralded its development of a field
deployable vehicle incorporating its counter-Improved Explosive Device (IED)
technology, also known as the Joint IED Neutralizer or "JIN", which it planned to sell to
the U.S. Government. However, in spite of its claimed development of field-deployable
technology, the Company concealed the fact its much-heralded vehicle was at best an
improvisation , incapable of meeting U.S. Government specifications for successful
field testing

4. On March 24, 2006, while the Company continued to actively conceal
setbacks in its purportedly promising efforts to successfully complete field demonstration
of its deployment-ready vehicle, Robert Howard resigned his post as Chairman of
lonatron. Moreover, during the Class Period, Company insiders, including Howard and
Dearmin, sold over 1.5 million shares of lonatron stock for proceeds of $18.4 million.

5. The truth was revealed on May 10, 2006, when the Company finally
revealed to investors the shocking fact that the deployment-ready .TIN vehicle actually
lacked ruggedness in the field, rendering it unacceptable to the Government. lonatron is
now faced with the need to revisit the initial stages of its development efforts, including
the development of new vehicle platforms.

Source

Like I said, it's not that straightforward and it's been a big, crappy POS so far.

“It is notoriously difficult to control. Making it go straight and far requires breaking down the air, like drilling a path through wood for a nail. Creating this path for any more than a few feet presents a formidable challenge.”

Source

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I saw a video a while back with from a guy in Iraq that was claiming he witnessed a weapon like this being used to destroy tanks and fry people. Anybody got that vid?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The 2nd Amendment is a sham. Look at the weapons that our government has access to. You don't even have to send a jet strike anymore. You just have a bolt of lightning strike out of nowhere.

I remember the "rebels" in Libya having to fight jet fighters with rocks. We wouldn't even have THAT good of a chance here

The whole purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to give The People recourse against their government. Our problem is, we have allowed our government to not only create weapons that are the playthings of our nightmares. Well, that and that the government has a monopoly on any weapon beyond a regular, single shot gun.

Oh well Lets keep on cheering on the technological advancement our American war machine gives us. No need to consider that the day will come that those war machines will be used against us.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jcolsto

Actually, this lazer technology and all lazer technology was invented by the Israelis, not the Americans! It was the Americans that jumped on board AFTERwards!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
They've recreated ancient technology. Thor's hammer. Figures that they would develop a weapon out of it instead of something useful to peaceful people. They'll find a way to kill a bunch of porpoises or whales with it I suppose, that seems to be their desire. We are definitely the stupidest species on this planet.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If they use this weapon on us we will have no proof. It will appear that we got hit by lightning.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

So now you can add lightning to the freak accident list, right between "brakes failed" and "heart attack".

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
We can tell they already have the technology up and running now and maybe they have had it functioning for longer than they are saying. In the BBC article it sounds like the scientists are having a whale of a time playing with their toys, continually hitting their targets. So yeah maybe they can already hit selected individuals, like god dishing out death from above to those who disobey him.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
Man, you need a job or a hobby or a friend or something....

I got a hobby.
Right now I'm doing the arduous task of wiring up my analog synthesiser.
Fifty billion interconnected wires, taking uncountably large numbers of hours to do. At some point I'll get there, but I need a break from the soldering iron every once in a while.

Im wiring up a 1960 Wurlitzer 200ep I bought for 10 bux at yard sale. Dropped it, broke solid state.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy.
- Aldous Huxley -

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This is a repost of this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Any mods about

Cran
edit on 2-7-2012 by cranspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cranspace

Oh wow. Here comes someone who posted a thread on this first.

Jesus, for real?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

Good try.

Our whole welfare system is being abused on mama's having 10 kids and those kids do the same!
Obvious you must not be aware of free medicle insuranse for the needy children(thanks to the smokers).

The USA is a haven for welfare and freebies.
(why are they all over weight?)

Children suffer from Crack head parents I agree on..,,

Quite dam simple,you go apply for a food aid debut card,allowed to also hit the food shelf.,and if you know the ropes,umpteen other benefits you get.

I dont see anyone laying dead in the streets from hunger!

Do you have any starvation cases that are common scense worthy?

In my state,if your unemplyed or even empolyed yet hurting,,you get 150-300 food debut card for just being single.
And can go to the food shelf also and they set you up quite good also.help with medical issues and counselors to.

Some states differ and communities.

The only people who are dieing are the ones who try to get here!

Your opinion rings on deaf ears as well in China and Russia.

I wish the whole world was a utopia,but it is not nor ever be.

I think the USA does a great job,like to see a tad help from the people and not the goverment..

Sure we have some cases,drugs and such..

Funny why all other countries cant get there butts on the boat fast enuf to get here?

Do something?

sighhhhhhh
edit on 2-7-2012 by MollyMN because: sp

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I have no problem with this.

I'm sure other contries are working on some crazy stuff as well?
Be a fool not to think.

Kind of scary if you think to much on this?
Worse than a nuke.

They have stuff on the drawing board now thats 50 years ahead of our tech.

Some of this tech is probly useless against the mideast,,pump up the volume to level 10/max.?
Microwave'em?

Be good for elections there,blast the them on level 7.
Use it for the clerics to give them chronic headaches.

Im not goverment, but I would F with people if I had this power.

Who would not?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm glad we're spending billions of dollars on inventing new ways to kill people.

I, for one, hope we continue to invest money in these projects, as I cannot think of a better way it could be spent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join