It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightning laser weapon developed by US Army

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Lightning laser weapon developed by US Army

www.bbc.co.uk

The Laser-Induced Plasma Channel (LIPC) is designed to hit targets that conduct electricity better than the air or ground that surrounds them.

The weapon went through extensive testing in January.

George Fischer, lead scientist on the project, said: "We never got tired of the lightning bolts zapping our simulated [targets]." "...During the duration of the laser pulse, it can be putting out more power than a large city needs, but the pulse only lasts for two-trillionths of a second."Fifty billion watts of optical power are used. By comparison, a typical filament lightbulb uses 100 watts.

Related News Links:
www.mobiledia.com
www.gmanetwork.com[e ditby]edit on 1-7-2012 by jcolsto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Wow. In another story the scientists are quoted as saying, "You're welcome soldiers and science fiction fans." Th real question for me is how long they've actually had this technology. Could this technology be used by satellites, enabling high powered lightning strikes anywhere in the world? Another article indicates they used similar technology as anti-ICBM weaponry.

Interesting times we live in.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

For some reason, the additional links are invisible. There are 2 additional links that are a bit more detailed, you'll just have to scroll over them to see.
edit on 1-7-2012 by jcolsto because: Talk about invisible links

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Quite appropriate.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Cool a bit like PPC's in Mechwarrior games

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Good find

Although the article does not mention that the design and implementation has been finalised and is ready for strategic use by the military.

It does make you wonder how long they've had it but more importantly, what they're NOT telling us about.

This weapon, if developed and deployed to it's full potential from what I can ascertain from the article has the potential to wipe out electronic infrastructure.

I think what we are looking at here is the first step in advanced warfare; why would you bother pointing this at strictly military targets when you can wipe out a countries electrical/communications infrastructure.

Scary stuff, imagine all the peaceful purposes the time and funding in this research could offer.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
wiki article - one of the links is to a 2001 article discussing University of New Mexico doing the same thing.

the principle is fairly simple - a laser beam ionises the air, then an electric charge finds that path the easiest to follow a fraction of a second later.

It would effectively be a dead straight lightening bolt - it will be quite distinguishable from natural ones!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Thats cool. A new way to kill people from foreign countries but still no new way to feed the ones who cant feed themselves in their own country?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcolsto
The Laser-Induced Plasma Channel (LIPC) is designed to hit targets that conduct electricity better than the air or ground that surrounds them.

Breaking News.

Discussed in 2006
Laser Induced Plasma Channel (LIPC) Weapons,
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and 2007
and 2005
and again in 2005
and again in 2005
and 2009
and
and

edit on 1-7-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Thats scary stuff, if they have that kind of weapon. What will they use it for? Or who will they use it on? Aliens?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by jcolsto

Breaking News.

Discussed in 2006
Laser Induced Plasma Channel (LIPC) Weapons,
and 2007
and 2005
and again in 2005
and again in 2005
and 2009
and
and

edit on 1-7-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

Man, you need a job or a hobby or a friend or something....

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

This would be the only link that I think is relevant because it implies the US military is developing the project instead of a private firm:

I'm pretty sure both I and the OP of this other thread saw the same initial article. I was actually looking for it instead of the first ones I got on Google News. I'f you don't want to discuss in this thread, I'd look to the one above. Thanks for the history of this technology with private firms, though. Despite your tone.

edit on 1-7-2012 by jcolsto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
Man, you need a job or a hobby or a friend or something....

I got a hobby.
Right now I'm doing the arduous task of wiring up my analog synthesiser.
Fifty billion interconnected wires, taking uncountably large numbers of hours to do. At some point I'll get there, but I need a break from the soldering iron every once in a while.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

I'm doing this right now:

www.youtube.com...

I've taken my freaking PS3 controller apart about 10x. and I'm scrolling ATS to decrease my frustration. On the off chance any of you are experiencing this same problem, the fix works, providing you don't break anything taking it apart/putting it together. But that's neither here nor there. No judgements. I appreciate your work bringing other sources to light, and if others would like to discuss this in one of those other places, that's cool with me. I just wanted to see a discussion of something I thought was really cool.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Anyone know how long it might take until us the common people can own one of these bad boys.

Would be great for , umm, recreation

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Lighting beam tanks would be awesome!. Looks like the ghost busters weapons.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Where did they get the fifty billion watts from, when suddenly half of the US is out of power at the same time. I wonder what effects on the atmosphere and the environment could be created by turning air into plasma.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I know that they are only saying 50 bill optical watts but thats still a staggering amount of power being used there. Also this reminds me of a few passages from Nostradamus about lightning and rods, so I think I'll do some reading later, or googling on those topics.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I think someone bumped this old thread in order to shutdown a similar thread in which I made a major discovery - see here:

This is major information.. please spread this info!

Plasma is the key to storing massive energy and tapping into antigravity field effects. It was used in the Bell and inventions in which the inventors disappeared or died mysteriously.

This info is actively being suppressed and likely on this site as well. I have been mocked for presenting this info as well..

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

... the pulse only lasts for two-trillionths of a second."

50 billion watts...

^ do the math

this means within ONE SECOND their weapon consumes the same amount of electricity that the ENTIRE WORLD uses in ONE YEAR!!!!

energy crisis my ass!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

hope they hit their target.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join