It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yep for all we know there is an uncrossable barrier around our universe separating us from God. We have a blood brain barrier to keep the bad stuff out.. maybe God does too

Seriously though. Our universe might be a cell in God's fingernail.
Or maybe there isn't one.
Agnosticism for the win.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think reading up on what Lou Baldin has to say on this God particle is interesting. Just search his name online, because it sure is illusive. They're just going to hint and lie, with a slight of hand in the wording, as to finding, what they can't find.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Perhaps we should refrain from calling it the "God particle," since it seems that this has nothing to do with any god. Whoever coined that term was out of their depth...either that, or nosing for some sensationalism to inject into an otherwise intensely boring research report.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Well what it's all about is the Higs Boson, and they are going to try to say they've all but proven it, except for actually pulling it out of the hat because it doesn't exist. Slight of hand.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

It isn't that they've proven it, it's that they've got reasonable cause. Compare it to the police: They don't know there's crack in the warehouse, but members of a known drug cartel have been driving unmarked vans in and out for months. Never have the drugs actually been spotted, but there's plenty of evidence to suggest that SOMETHING is there.

That's what these guys are doing now. Again, though, "God particle" seems to be the worst case of clumsily promoting doublespeak I have ever seen.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

That is why they perform 1.6 trillion test and they can use that data and get census going from the results. This isn't a one time experiment..

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Even if we did understand the universe better because of this proven partical , all man will do is exploit it for personal gain, invoking more pain and suffering.

Man is destructive enough without the key to the secret.

And your point is? Are you not part of "Man"? Should someone else have discovered it? Perhaps flying monkeys or maybe birds?

This is a useless post just trying to push more self-depreciating blather that makes no sense.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I know NOTHING on this but always hear topics on this.

Also S&F.

As for others worried on new weapons.
I think we do a pretty good job already.

I remember the articles on collider/atom smasher.

Especially when they say 99.9% certain on this.

Be amazing what man can do in a few hundred years from now.
If we can make it.

The universe and us(all life) are beyond magic ,and the tinyist speck holds us together.
Kinda like the missing link.
Not for evolution to say,have to grab the shovel or have a beleif on that I guess for now.

When I think about it, I had no opinion, but they got together and built it.
Loss for words.
I think it could be done,but dam,they did it!

Molly

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I can't believe you would even think that something like that would put to rest the whole religion thing! You are such an idiot! Why don't you just grow up and spread your hethonistic ideology somewhere else!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azdraik
You know I never quite understood the whole point to this.

Ok, so you found your particle. Its a nice ego stroke to know you were right and it exists.

That does what for us?
What innovations can come out of this discovery?
Will this lead to further advancement of quantum theory?

ad infinitum

I know right? Whats the point in putting this much time in something that gives us a better understanding of how the universe (the biggest mystery ever) works?
I had to stop watching Americas Next Top Model to read this.
What a complete waste of time.
By the way you will be amazed at what kind of innovations come from seemingly irrelevant scientific discoveries, and not only that, but these kind of discoveries tend to lead to further discoveries and thus further technological innovations.
No scientific discovery is pointless.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
does anyone know simply what the higgs boson actually is? Its supposedly the particle that gives all things mass..... does that mean that the reason an elephant has more mass then a bowling ball is because an elephant has quantiontillion more higgs bosons then the bowling bowl?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I post on the behalf of the .001 percent. As much as I would like to believe that we can discover the elusive particle that paints mass to energy, and it is there, do you really think pure science can unveil this phenomenon. And if it science does reveal such, There is no discovery of the higgs boson atom, There willl never be.. You will never see it. Amazing proof,,, granted but there is no such particle observable to human eyes. Please dont be. fooled. Cern is big time, but what they focus on is false. What the focus is on should be , imo , strong and weak magnetic forces. I should state here that the US military might is way ahead of the curve. If China ... does what we all think, then so should it be. They are trying to bend the envelope and pierce the electro-magnetic, to achieve a defense, that will dominate all. So, let them try to impose their will upon us. Why trust them? They are waiting for the perfect moment to strike us and really its not too hard to fortell. The only answer is to stop the american ponzi scheme imbedded within capitalism. Do you really think all the money at the top end has a purpose? Wether or not its a planet or alien or just Mother Earth getting mad, please stop using resources excessively stop being an idiot recycle everything and respect our home. Rant over

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
wouldn't the proof of extra dimensions mean a plausible dimension that is called heaven?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Are we to assume that if they found the god particle that they also found an anti-god particle? Or will that cost us billion$ more and take another few decades to confirm?
edit on 2-7-2012 by GaryN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

The Higgs field gives mass to all the fundamental particles (except neutrinos). Without it they would all be massless, and zip around at the speed of light, so there would be no universe as we know it (atoms, molecules, planets etc)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaryN
Are we to assume that if they found the god particle that they also found an anti-god particle? Or will that cost us billion$ more and take another few decades to confirm?
edit on 2-7-2012 by GaryN because: (no reason given)

But the God particle would encompass all filling in negative energy as well, possibly

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
2 Nuetrinos walk into a bar. The bartender says we dont serve your kind. The Nuetrinos say thats ok, we're just passing through.

edit on 2-7-2012 by Speckle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Agnosticism for the win.

Thats like saying bisexual win, when compared to all other sexualities

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
How can a particle, that exists for a very short time and is responsible for causing sub atomic particles to join together to simply exist be weaponized? This discovery merely proves the existence of certain scientific theories, that until this discovery were basically supported by an educated guess. This isn't going to make leaps and bounds for innovations, or weaponry but rather an understanding as to why everything exists as it does.

disintegration rays perhaps?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

congratulations PROFESSIONAL on the exclusive

Lol looks like on this occasion the kill was sweeter than the hunt

F&S

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join