It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'd like to add a couple of things to this thread which might help some understand what the Higgs Boson and Field are. Why they were hypothesized.

The video is pretty informative. It also describes fields as densities of virtual particles. This is important.
www.youtube.com...
So scientists hypothesize there is a uniform density field of "virtual" Higgs Bosons permeating the universe. If we inject enough energy into the system we might produce a "real" Higgs Boson.

Also, here is a very informative Cern link.
The gist is that scientists discovered that "electromagnetic force" and the "weak force" were actually manifestations of a single "electroweak force". The problem was this "electroweak" force predicted all particles have zero mass!
The Higgs field was hypothesized to understand why we see in experiment particles having non-zero mass.
public.web.cern.ch...

These two links have really helped me get a quick understanding of what's going on.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity you are such a genious... I wish everyone saw and thought the way you do. The humans dont see past the illusion, and beings like you do see whats behind the curtain

There is nothing special about this find.. I have a feeling this "god particle" (what a stupid label) has been known all along anyways, just not to MS. You science lovers who depend on science for knowledge of the universe are so lost in mental space its not even funny anymore. Science is nice, but true cosmic knowledge is always better. Humans will never understand the universe before they destroy themselves, and they will never understand what the creator is.. so move on and stop trusting and LIVING by mainstream science, the answers to your wonders are inside of you, your ignorant consciousness will elude you from the true knowledge which you oculd have full acess too..

Love is an art..

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

Your post confused me. Apparently, the Higgs Boson is related to the presence of mass in subatomic particles, and yet studies suggest that there IS no mass. Are you saying that in the experiments, the Higgs Boson was present in the experiments, but not in the open world?

Edit: I looked into a very simplistic definition of the Higgs Boson, and my understanding is that the Higgs Boson is the only unproven piece in the weak force. Is that what they're doing? Trying to piece together the entirety of the weak force? Or does the existence of the Higgs Boson lead to other theories that answer these penultimate questions in physics?
edit on 2-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz

So scientists hypothesize there is a uniform density field of "virtual" Higgs Bosons permeating the universe. If we inject enough energy into the system we might produce a "real" Higgs Boson.

In other words, they are trying to pull their materialistic God-image from out of the collective unconscious and into conscious reality? A 'summoning ritual' in a manner of speaking...perhaps. The real energy behind it will be psychic, whether they realize it or not.

edit on 2-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

The electroweak theory predicted zero mass for particles so scientists hypothesized(or created) the Higgs field to explain why particles appear to have mass in reality.
If they can prove the Higgs Field and Boson exist it is monumental for the predictive powers of science and mathematics.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

The irony is that you just typed that paragraph on a device which is itself a product of over 500 years of continuous innovation in communications and engineering technology. You do not recognize that your feelings regarding this matter are tainted by your own fluffiness. 30 years ago, you would be fortunate to reach 10 people with your message of higher spiritual awareness. Today, you can reach tens of thousands or even millions, using the very science you decry and fail to understand at even a rudimentary level.

There is nothing wrong with a thirst for spiritual food, but don't deny the spoon to spite the bowl.
edit on 2-7-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

This has nothing to do with God. Scientists never called it the God Particle. A writer coined the term "God Damned Particle" because nobody could find it. His publisher changed it to God Particle.
The media loves to stir things up and latched onto the "God Particle"

This discovery would help us understand why particles have mass. Has nothing to do with God.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

The atheists back in the stone age learned how to initiate a fire. Therefore, they concluded, materialism is true.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

This has nothing to do with God. Scientists never called it the God Particle. A writer coined the term "God Damned Particle" because nobody could find it. His publisher changed it to God Particle.

This discovery would help us understand why particles have mass. Has nothing to do with God.

It has nothing to do with God as they understand it, perhaps, but it has everything to do with consciousness. Consciousness is primary - matter and energy emerge from it. Not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Did you post that by channeling a Deva of Holographic Logos, or did you type it on a computer or smartphone?

I'm just curious because the leading edge of physics and philosophy is VERY concerned with questions you might find interesting in a contra-materialist sense, but that doesn't mean we discuss them using our innate ESP.
edit on 2-7-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I think you got it as far as I understand.
So if the Higgs did exist it would prove that the Electroweak Theory is a valid tool (even more valid than before.)
The end goal is to try to prove it totally correct.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

It has nothing to do with God as they understand it, perhaps, but it has everything to do with consciousness. Consciousness is primary - matter and energy emerge from it. Not the other way around.

The Higgs boson has become known as the 'god particle' because it is theorised having the ability of determining the origins of mass, just like 'god' created the mass of the world and it's inhabitants according to religion.
edit on 2-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s

Did you post that by channeling a the Deva of Holographic Logos, or did you type it on a computer or smartphone?

I'm just curious because the leading edge of physics and philosophy is VERY concerned with questions you might find interesting in a contra-materialist sense, but that doesn't mean we discuss them using our innate ESP.

The athiests in the information age learned to make computers. Therefore, they concluded, materialism is true.

I'm not going to waste any more time dancing around the appeal to technology fallacy with you.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

I understand that, thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

I had a little bit of difficulty with this topic from the beginning, and I've finally figured out how to ask the big question. It's already been sort of answered, but the answer was so flimsy and whimsical, I'm hoping for a more meaty reply.

Exactly why are they calling the Higgs Boson the "God particle"? That implies there's an incredible importance buried somewhere in here, and proving the electroweak field is only part of it.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The media call it the God Particle.
Scientists do not.

Like the above poster said it would help explain the origins of the mass of particles.
Some people like to take this "origin" of being the "origin" of everything.
It's the origin of Mass. But it is not the origin of energy.
If you want God you want the origin of mass and energy and the laws of physics.

There is much more to the universe than the higgs.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Of course not. I mean -- this is just a thread about the potential discovery of the Higgs-Bosson; a hypothetical Bosson which may or may not be responsible for giving "mass" to all of the other elementary particles. Why would we waste any time at all talking about the technology or science behind the question, when we can simply EST our way into a transcendental state where a bit of dragons blood and an eye of newt will help us conjure a perfectly rational explanation for the electroweak force?

You are absolutely absolute, en toto. Star for you.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
The tinfoiler in me wonders whether this is the discovery that will disprove religion?

Now that's out of my system, that;s great news and will hopefully assist us in taking leaps and bounds forward.

Why don't they have real physicists working on this instead of "theoretical physicists"? I'll ask the question at risk of sounding stupid, are they theoretical in terms of investigating as yet, theoretical aspects of physics or are they not actual physicists but theoretical physicists as in, lack professional credentials?

Great find OP

It won't disprove God/religion/creationism it's just going to produce more questions.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I am very aware of the 'spiritual' / metaphysical / dimensional aspects of reality and life, I also believe science, being the study of forces and that which exists, unseen or seen, does more for explaining the aspects of metaphysics and reality than those that just spout things about being a ''spiritual starseed'' etc. without ever really understanding of the dimensional aspects of reality. It really is being as blinded as a person that won't believe anything other than the religion they were told, or the scientist that only sticks to one particular theory and denies further progress. All in all it is being blinkered.

Enlightenment involves being open to ideas and dimensions, including the studies of the physical and metaphysical world.

Anyone that claims spiritual superiority whilst denying anything science is really just being closed minded and possibly deluded.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Title is misleading. They are expected to demonstrate evidence that points to an almost certain existence of the 'God Particle'

Nothing has been discovered so we should all revisit this thread once the OP actually fits the current situation.

researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Source

ETA

Scientists working at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have gathered enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly does exist.

There's definitely a difference in truly knowing something exists and believing something exists.

A good lot of us know that life elsewhere in the universe "certainly does exist".. still hasn't changed anything.
edit on 2-7-2012 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join