It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordynlynn

We know now that there is a Higgs field that endows particles with mass. What we need to determine now is how this field works before we can start thinking about manipulating it.

Questions we would need to answer are things like:

Can we take a particle out of the Higgs field, hence taking away it's mass?

What's happening outside of the Higgs field?

Can we bring particles into the Higgs field, essentially creating something from nothing?

What kind of energies would it take to accomplish such feats? Our current understanding of the universe concludes that it would take more energy than is available in the universe to travel faster than light, it may be a similar thing when messing with the Higgs field.

Finding why some particles, such as photons, do not interact with the field and have no mass would probably help towards the goal of answering the other questions.

As for the possibilities that you mentioned, they're pretty far out, but never say never.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Iam'___'

Thank you for the information. (: As I said in my other post, I don't know anything but what I've read hear. So I wrote what sounded plausible to me. (: It's good to know some people are still willing to lend a hand to the young and ignorant.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Update:

It is found now. Good work

Lol. This is hilarious. So you really believe that they
found / created a particle of Time itself?
Though Peter Higgs emotion is understandable

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordynlynn
reply to post by Iam'___'

Thank you for the information. (: As I said in my other post, I don't know anything but what I've read hear. So I wrote what sounded plausible to me. (: It's good to know some people are still willing to lend a hand to the young and ignorant.

Hey cheer up. Being young does not mean that you are ignorant.
Remember curiosity is the mother of invention.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

All I was saying is that it was nice for them to explain it to me in a way I could understand, without degrading me and then taking what I said and giving it actual thought. (: No pre-mature dismissal because of my lack of knowledge. (:

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iam'___'
reply to post by Jordynlynn

We know now that there is a Higgs field that endows particles with mass.

HuMan as usual misunderstands, there is no H-B anything all of that realm lies in what you Humans call "Quantum" - wrongly.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
What's important to realize in all this is that even the so-called "Human Standard Model" of explaining everything is currently an unsatisfactory patchwork of silly equations and deadend mathematical transformations that don't play well together when it comes to different human physical contexts such as really small things (what you call Quantum) or really large, massive things (Einsteinium Jewish Physics of General Relativity). Try to meld large-scale equations of gravity, for example, with really small phenomena such as quantum fluctuations of atomic nuclei, and Humans get nonsensical and worthless mathematical answers such as "the answer is X divided by zero!" [infinity].

Your Human Standard Model is seriously lacking, in other words, and one of the reasons there is so much excitement about Higgs boson is because it would help fill in the gaps of the your Human Standard Model explanation.

There's little doubt that the Human Standard Model is only your temporary quick fix in the bigger picture, of course. It's not "wrong" in the sense of being terribly incorrect; it's just horribly incomplete.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveandLightandRainbows

All we're doing is looking for some sort of meaning to life. And to scientists, that meaning is created by bashing apart atoms and mathematically expressing the universal blueprint. We don't want mysteries, we want answers.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yet, as I hinted above, there's still something missing from all this: Consciousness. Without consciousness, the universe cannot be fully explained, as consciousness is increasingly emerging as a fundamental force impacting the very fabric of Human reality. This is really, really frustrating for many Human scientists because, for starters, the majority of them don't even believe in the existence of consciousness. Your Stephen Hawking is famous for his rather short-sighted remarks that people are mindless, soulless beings -- "biological robots" -- and that religion / spirituality is a realm for "people who are afraid of the dark."

I suspect this is the answer you seek and the answer you deserve.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool

99.9% according to the experts you are totally wrong.

According to experts, we will wait and see.
how this really unfolds in the coming days.

Not to get into an argument, but this up coming announcement by all indications observed with all the pomp and circumstance surrounding it leads everyone to believe they have proven the Higgs boson to exist. This is not like the "Mars Rock" premature announcement, a product of misconstruing data, that is, announcing misleading observations based on a lot of assumptions without thoroughly vetting all the possibilities, or flying magnetized frogs, or slowing the speed of light using an elaborate trick and funky math. Of course they will have to duplicate the experiment for it to be 100% proven. Higgs used solid comprehensible math that has been peer reviewed for decades, and now that his equations have been physically worked he has been vindicated as his theoretical boson enters into the realm of fact. Unlike for instance randomness of the Universe which is cloaked in shadowy math so elaborate and drawn out that it looks like the Winchester mansion on paper.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is frustrating for physicists because, to date, there are no equations that describe the behavior or properties of consciousness. Although consciousness is and can be experienced first-hand by conscious beings, it so far has defied measurement and experimental validation. How can anyone prove consciousness exists? Other than the fact that it is self-evident to those who possess it, is there an independent way to measure it and thereby confirm its existence?

This may ultimately prove impossible because of an error in the question. An "independent" measurement, in classical physics, describes a measurement being conducted by a mechanism that has no ties to any conscious observer. Yet in order to become aware of the measurements, a conscious being must, one way or another, interact with the results of the experiment. This interaction, as quantum theorists are increasingly realizing, is itself part of the experiment and may alter its outcomes even after the fact.

The Observer cannot be isolated from the events observed [the double slit experiment].

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This also means that all of today's Human science is, in fact, biased toward consciousness. All the evidence that makes up the entire history of known science suffers from a glaring "Human selection bias" because it was all observed and selected by conscious Human beings.

Even this recent Higgs boson discovery may have been brought into existence solely because so many conscious Human beings were focused on bringing into reality what they imagined to be real.

Gaining a deep understanding of this may be exceedingly difficult for you Human beings to achieve. It may, in fact, be beyond the capabilities of biological beings with limited neurological capacity.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

Magma,

What else is there to do with information other than get some kind of personal gain from it?

I would like to know one person alive who learned something and didn't personally gain something from it. I constantly use information I get for personal gain. What else are you supposed to do with it? Sit on it and not do anything?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveandLightandRainbows

Virtually all present-day reality modeling equations break down at singularity events such as black holes, too. The Human Standard Model is seriously lacking, in other words, and one of the reasons there is so much excitement about Higgs boson is because it would help fill in the gaps of the Human Standard Model explanation.

Consciousness, you see, isn't made of particles. Thus, you can't smash consciousness in a particle accelerator and hope to see the tiny bits of what it's made of. (You can crush free will, of course, but that takes a government.) Yet there is increasingly compelling evidence that consciousness interacts with the physical world and may even create parallel physical worlds when it is exercised. Hints of this are emerging from the study of quantum physics, which immediately leads to the possibility of "multiple worlds" and parallel realities.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There is a bloomberg.com article that says "cern-removes-video-saying-physicists-found-higgs-like-particle" in the URL for the article, but something else on the page in question: "Particle Discovery Brings Scientists Close to Understanding Mass."

But apparently, sfgate.com (San Francisco Chronicle) has published the orgininal Bloomberg article: "CERN Removes Video Saying Physicists Found Higgs-Like Particle":

July 4 (Bloomberg) -- CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, removed a video from its website that said its researchers observed a particle that may be the Higgs boson, a theoretical particle that could explain where mass comes from.

“We have observed a new particle,” Joe Incandela, spokesman for one of the Geneva-based research institute’s experiments said in the video, which CERN took down from its website. He said CERN may be able to determine whether it’s a Higgs boson in line with the standard model of physics or not by the end of the year. . . .

The video is “one of several scenarios we recorded ahead of time,” James Gillies, spokesman for CERN, said by phone. It was accidentally released due to a technical issue, he said, declining to confirm if the video is the correct scenario. . . .

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoveandLightandRainbows
What's important to realize in all this is that even the so-called "Human Standard Model" of explaining everything is currently an unsatisfactory patchwork of silly equations and deadend mathematical transformations that don't play well together when it comes to different human physical contexts such as really small things (what you call Quantum) or really large, massive things (Einsteinium Jewish Physics of General Relativity).

a) why did you have to label GR as "Jewish Physics"? I'm not really fond of any PC, but on any level, this is an extraordinarily stupid thing to say.

b) when you use words like "silly equations and deadend mathematical transformations", I have a nagging suspicion that you don't really know math and physics. Your post is oozing ignorance.

edit on 5-7-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mary Rose
There is a bloomberg.com article that says "cern-removes-video-saying-physicists-found-higgs-like-particle" in the URL for the article, but something else on the page in question: "Particle Discovery Brings Scientists Close to Understanding Mass."

But apparently, sfgate.com (San Francisco Chronicle) has published the orgininal Bloomberg article: "CERN Removes Video Saying Physicists Found Higgs-Like Particle":

July 4 (Bloomberg) -- CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, removed a video from its website that said its researchers observed a particle that may be the Higgs boson, a theoretical particle that could explain where mass comes from.

“We have observed a new particle,” Joe Incandela, spokesman for one of the Geneva-based research institute’s experiments said in the video, which CERN took down from its website. He said CERN may be able to determine whether it’s a Higgs boson in line with the standard model of physics or not by the end of the year. . . .

The video is “one of several scenarios we recorded ahead of time,” James Gillies, spokesman for CERN, said by phone. It was accidentally released due to a technical issue, he said, declining to confirm if the video is the correct scenario. . . .

I just watched the actual video, it's available in its original shape (as recorded live at the seminar on Wed) on the CERN network. You won't have access, unfortunately. Pretty interesting stuff to watch, and seems well presented.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

a) why did you have to label GR as "Jewish Physics"? I'm not really fond of any PC, but on any level, this is an extraordinarily stupid thing to say.

We gave GR to the Jew Einstein, I understand this is well beyond your comprehension levels as a Human.

Originally posted by buddhasystem
b) when you use words like "silly equations and deadend mathematical transformations", I have a nagging suspicion that you don't really know math and physics. Your post is oozing ignorance.

I can't drag your Humanness into Enlightenment nor shall I try.

edit on 5-7-2012 by LoveandLightandRainbows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

The one that was removed was not recorded at the seminar, according to the article, because the article's date and the seminar were yesterday, and the article says the removed video is “one of several scenarios we recorded ahead of time.”

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
And yes, for the record, in case you were wondering, I am trained in the sciences and have long been a student of many fields of knowledge, including [astro]physics, Human philosophy, cosmology, Human anthropology, neurology and cosmic spirituality. I'm not a master in any of these fields but rather a student of them all.

I have had great Teachers.

My strength is in understanding complex concepts and explaining them in simple, everyday Human terms, usually in a way that's interesting to read. I intend to bring that skill to the forefront as I spend more time focusing on conscious cosmology which necessarily encompasses [Human] philosophy, spirituality, quantum theory, physics and more.

After all, if we are conscious beings, shouldn't we exercise our consciousness and do something with it?

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join