It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by DARREN1976

It's a multi-government thing. Although the USA is not that big of a provider they are giving money. When I say taxpayers I am not discriminating. Every country has taxpayers. Maybe some have a different system but a little of everyone's money goes towards funding their government's projects.

You are right in that this is a multi-national effort. I don't have the numbers right away, but in terms of expertise I can tell you that the US contributed a lot, and really a lot, to the magnet system of the LHC. Some of the magnets were made a few hundred feet from my office space, so I do know.

What's more, in terms of the computing effort to support the LHC, the US has the leadership role in the global collaboration of institutions who participate in the experiments. Computing workload management system and a large part of the computing infrastructure have been made possible in a big part due to the US effort.

Take it from a first-hand source

PS. I did have my hand in designing the inner tracker for ATLAS.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Great videos. I just wish everyone would actually watch them

Very informative.

Hmm this double posted not sure why.
edit on 3-7-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

I appreciate your recognition of the valuable content contained within those vids.

I've been following this Higgs field idea and its boson for a few years now. At the start there were some who took the time to explain the concept of a Higgs field to me and posted similar vids to what I posted above which really opened my mind up to the whole idea. It was on a thread discussing' "what is gravity?" in a History Channel forum. The discussion mainly revolved around the question, when matter creates an indention in the fabric of space/time what is that fabric? There was a poster who explained it like a scaffolding, a box frame design like a skyscraper is constructed and the steel is the Higgs boson. I mean it seem to make sense to me, and the math has been proven since the mid 60's, I think '64 is when Higgs made his findings public. Anyway, that discussion really tuned me on to this Higgs field idea. Being that it is now irrefutable fact means that gravity is a function of geometry and is a function of kinetic energy, movement across gravity wells t3.gstatic.com...:ANd9GcSnfhMa6lw_5kye1gQzHfXexjslTsVZP-HyHOus8De8zKNRsSmT6g I guess some refer to them as 4 dimensional manifolds as the well is comprised of all 4 dimensions, hence, 4 dimensional. That is the vortex spans out in all directions within the space/time continuum. This also means that this will put to rest any idea of there being a graviton which I personally consider as real as pixy dust.

Here is another vid I was thinking of posting along with the others. cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

Oh, and your double post was probably due to a delay in your computer. When you hit post next time just wait. It will post eventually.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
Being that it is now irrefutable fact means that gravity is a function of geometry and is a function of kinetic energy

Stop, please, stop. Gravity is a phenomenon present in nature, and geometry is a field in mathematics. The former can't be a "function" of the latter. Gee, what nonsense.

I guess some refer to them as 4 dimensional manifolds as the well is comprised of all 4 dimensions, hence, 4 dimensional. That is the vortex spans out in all directions within the space/time continuum.

Vortex is a flow. It can't be going in all directions in all dimensions.

If you don't know physics, just don't pretend that you do. This is disgusting.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Your assumption is completely wrong.

Firstly you said ''no'' check your posts, to Higgs influencing Nuclear Fusion research. It can and it probably will lead to FURTHER discoveries that WILL be used in many areas of RESEARCH including Nuclear FUSION.

I posted many snippets demonstrating the fact that the particle physics community is researching the interactions of mass and how this influences the standard model and could lead to further advancements in this model and others. Perhaps a whole new way of seeing things could evolve from this.

Your posts give the impression of denying this is major and that you seem ticked about it and those talking about it, also that your knowledge of physics is limited and stuck in some ''this is how it is and there isn't any other way'' mire. There are INFINITE possibilities that can arise from these findings.

Thankfully most of the rest of the physics community have PIONEERING spirit and see the POSSIBILITES and think outside the box for potential advancements. This pioneering attitude led to the building of the LHC and is the stuff of progress.

My posts have tried to simplify things giving relevant pices of information. I could go over your wording and tear it apart but I have better things to do.

Here's something from reports of the announcement.

www.bbc.co.uk...

[color=LimeGreen ]The Higgs is the cornerstone of the Standard Model - the most successful theory to explain the workings of The Universe.

But most researchers now regard the Standard Model as a stepping stone to some other, more complete theory, which can explain phenomena such as dark matter and dark energy.

Once the new particle is confirmed, scientists will have to figure out whether the particle they see is the version of the Higgs predicted by the Standard Model or something more exotic.

"It could match what the Standard Model predicts, but if there are deviations, that means there is new physics at work. That would be the first glimpse through the window at what lies beyond our current understanding."

edit on 4-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Even though they think they have found the universe creater, it still doesn't explain how something can be made out of nothing.
They even had to smash particles to get a result..

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well they sound pretty confident they have found it. I've been doing a bit of research and it does fall in line with predictions.

What I want to know is if it is a boost for supersymetry? I quite like the idea of the elegant universe.

I must admit I didn't think they'd find it, still it's exciting to see what happens from here.

Listening to Peter Higgs, very interesting bit in how he come about the theory. He also said that his first paper was rejected!
edit on 4-7-2012 by squiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
That's some great discoveries. I'm hoping this will help scientists invent new engines that'll use the higgsboson field as propulsion like a spaceship scooping up the field and expelling it to gain momentum. Or maybe it can be used as an energy source much like the sun and solarpanels. Or it could be captured, compressed to form some alien material. Who knows, maybe this is the stuff that really creates all the other stuff and mankind could have machines which can create anything out of a few resources which appear to be in abundance.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by squiz

What I want to know is if it is a boost for supersymetry? I quite like the idea of the elegant universe.

It may be, here is a blog arguing in favor of supersymmetric standard model extensions based on this discovery:

Why a \(125\GeV\) Higgs boson isn't quite compatible with the Standard Model

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Lol, you really got bud system going there sir comedy central.
Besides on another note higgs will never be found imo.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Here's a few tidbits I've caught.

It's a Higgs Boson, but they are not sure if it a Standard Model HIggs or not

Supersymmetry, inconclusive, nothing yet but not out of the picture.

A field interacting with all matter.

Could be scalar... first ever.

DarkMatter, nothing, a different question, however...

Opens a new realm of particle physics which will lead to more discoveries. .
edit on 4-7-2012 by squiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This is cool and all, but when will they discover what particle makes up the Higgs Boson.

There's always something smaller... unless this is indeed the Beginning; what created it?!

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle has been discovered

www.dailymail.co.uk

Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week, it is believed.

There is nothing about a press conference today on the CERN Press Office webpage. Just an announcement on June 22, 2012 that a seminar would be held today as a "curtain raiser" to this year's major particle physics conference, ICHEP, in Melbourne, and a press release about the seminar.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Mary Rose

Hmmm... I just clicked your link & at the top of the page:

Latest Press Releases

CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson 04.07.2012
At a seminar held at CERN today as a curtain raiser to the year’s major particle physics conference, ICHEP2012 in Melbourne, the ATLAS and CMS experiments presented their latest preliminary results in the search for the long sought Higgs particle. Both experiments observe a new particle in the mass region around 125-126 GeV.
Press

Which goes to this link: CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought Higgs boson
Dated today 4/7/2012 (date/month/year)

Seems they are stopping just short of calling this the Higgs.

OiO

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

In my opinion "God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle has been discovered" is an inaccurate and misleading headline.

But I guess everyone is supposed to know that because found has single quotes around it.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Science News says they will have more news about this "later today" and there will be a presentation on results in Melbourne this week at a high energy physics conference.
www.sciencenews.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saucerwench
Science News says they will have more news about this "later today" and there will be a presentation on results in Melbourne this week at a high energy physics conference.
www.sciencenews.org...

In one respect, finding the Higgs simply confirms the standard model, physicists’ framework for understanding the particles that make up the universe and the forces that govern them. But the discovery also opens new areas to explore, including alternate versions of the standard model that could explain some of the biggest unanswered questions about the cosmos.

I wont ask any questions.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Scientists at Europe's CERN research center have found a new subatomic particle, a basic building block of the universe, which appears to be the boson imagined and named half a century ago by theoretical physicist Peter Higgs.

" appears to be" the boson imagined

"consistent" with the Higgs boso

"likely to" shed light

He predicted further investigation by the CERN teams would probably confirm the particle is at least related to his idea: "It would be very odd if it were not any kind of Higgs boson."

""We know it is a new boson. But we still "have to prove definitively" that it is the one that Higgs predicted."

What scientists do not yet know from the latest findings is whether the particle they have discovered is the Higgs boson as described by the Standard Model. It could also be a variant of the Higgs idea or an entirely new subatomic particle that could force a rethink on the fundamental structure of matter.

"We have closed one chapter and opened another,"

"If I were a betting man, I would bet that it is the Higgs. But we can't yet say that definitely yet. It is very much a smoking duck that walks and quacks like the Higgs. But we now have to open it up and look inside before we can say that it is indeed the Higgs."

www.reuters.com...

Next

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

But we now have to open it up and look inside before we can say that it is indeed the Higgs.

What are you guys doing ? Sleeping?

Where did everybody go?

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
All of this talk about Bosun's is giving me a proper Large Hadron......

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Some quotes from physicists today on the Higgs find....

Physicists Ecstatic over Possible Higgs Find

"To me it's really an incredible thing that it's happened in my lifetime," Peter Higgs, the leader of the group that first theorized the particle in 1964 and after whom the particle is named, said during a press conference Wednesday (July 4).

"As a layman I would say 'We have it,' but as a scientist I would have to say 'What do we have?' We have discovered a boson and now we have to discover what kind of boson it is," CERN Director General Rolf Heuer said during the press briefing. [Top 5 Implications of Finding the Higgs Boson]

"It is a momentous event and I am proud to be living in these historic times. Our 40-year quest for solving a puzzle is almost ending," Brown University professor of physics Meenakshi Narain told LiveScience. "Now we have to find out if this new particle really is the Higgs of the Standard Model or has properties which deviate from standard expectations and if there are other new particles to be discovered."
Narain added in an email, "Our work is just beginning! It is a great leap for human kind and basic science."

"We have been propelled to the future of particle physics towards the understanding of the fundamental properties of our universe in its entirety," Caltech physicist Maria Spiropulu, who was in the audience at the LHC announcement, told LiveScience in an email.

"This is a crucial first step in understanding mass and gravity. We have a long, long way to go. But wow, what a step. #Higgs," tweeted @BadAstronomer Phil Plait, astronomer and author.

edit on 4-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join