It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Which means that you should get off your high horse. We don't have the same level of experience, so forgive us for making some mistakes, your freakin' majesty. Of course, you have just as much information as we do and still can't do anything with it, so you're really no better than us after all, right?

Now stop being so condescending. You're just a username on a website, so get over yourself.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

The relation between properties of mass and their associated physical constants.

Energy also has mass according to the principle of mass–energy equivalence. This equivalence is exemplified in a large number of physical processes including pair production, nuclear fusion, and the gravitational bending of light. Pair production and nuclear fusion are processes through which measurable amounts of mass and energy are converted into each other. In the gravitational bending of light, photons of pure energy are shown to exhibit a behavior similar to passive gravitational mass.

www.hep.yorku.ca...

once they are detected we can observe how Higgs bosons interact with other particles. The very same terms in the Lagrangian that determine the masses of the particles also fix the properties of such interactions. So we can conduct experiments to test quantitatively the presence of interaction terms of that type. The strength of the interaction and the amount of particle mass are uniquely connected.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Who's the guy you're running against? I wanna see what my choices are...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Which means that you should get off your high horse. We don't have the same level of experience, so forgive us for making some mistakes, your freakin' majesty.

Mistakes are fine, but idle talk is not. And if you have no idea how something works, that's exactly what happens. Let me show you.

Your parallel between "mass" as in Higgs context, and "mass" as in mass to energy conversion in fusion is not very different from what Dan Quayle said:

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit....Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If oxygen, that means we can breathe."

Same sort of "logic", really.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Emotional arguments from an anthropomorphized Gaia make me uncomfortable. Worse -- they are just silly. Do you really think there was a time when the earth was better off than now? During much of its history it was a sulfurous hell-hole, or completely covered in ice. Or maybe you think that people were better off before science and innovation? As if a world where African's (and others) were slaves, and women were chattel was somehow "better."

Narnia, please.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

According to the standard model, if the Higgs field didn't exist, the universe would be a very different place, said SLAC's Peskin, who isn't involved in the LHC experiments.

"It would be very difficult to form atoms," Peskin said. "So our orderly world, where matter is made of atoms, and electrons form chemical bonds—we wouldn't have that if we did not have the Higgs field."

In other words: no galaxies, no stars, no planets, no life on Earth.

SO, where did the Higgs field come from?
Looking forward to tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

According to the standard model, if the Higgs field didn't exist, the universe would be a very different place, said SLAC's Peskin, who isn't involved in the LHC experiments.

"It would be very difficult to form atoms," Peskin said. "So our orderly world, where matter is made of atoms, and electrons form chemical bonds—we wouldn't have that if we did not have the Higgs field."

In other words: no galaxies, no stars, no planets, no life on Earth.

SO, where did the Higgs field come from?
Looking forward to tomorrow.

I wonder how the higgs field non chalantly forms every atom?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well there are only hours left to the official anouncement.

A video has been leaked, consider it a teaser.

A spokesperson at Cern said after the video was leaked that: "We have recorded several videos in advance and it was a mistake that this one went live. We pre-recorded interviews with spokesmen from both experiments [CMS and Atlas] but this went live on the internet due to a technical fault."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

There's something there but it's still going to be some time before they can know what's going on.
They have observed a new particle, what it means is inconclusive at this point. It may indeed raise more questions than it answers.

It's a boson with 130 times the mass of a proton.
edit on 3-7-2012 by squiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by squiz

If that is real so amazing. Thanks.
New physics on the horizon!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by squiz

It's a boson with 130 times the mass of a proton.

130 times the mass of a proton.,so that would be an Nuetron,/Nucleus

u know
Proton /Netron /Electron.= Atom.

130 times the mass of a proton.--->a nuetron,,ya we already know that.??
edit on 3-7-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Just paraphrasing what was stated in the video -

"We know it's mass is roughly 130 times the mass of a proton, This is very significant. This is the most massive such particle that exists."

I'm not sure how finding a new particle with more mass than any other explains mass though. Maybe they have found something else entirely.

edit on 3-7-2012 by squiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Apparently this is a leaked video of the supposed announcement.

Leaked Video

It came from here

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz
reply to post by squiz

If that is real so amazing. Thanks.
New physics on the horizon!

New physics would have been on the horizon if the Higgs particle was NOT found.

This hypothesis has been around for a while, and apparently became a household name. It's still a very important discovery, of course.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I agree new physics either way so exciting!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
So many things could be wrong with the CERN Machine it is not even funny. I dont understand how they trust technology that requires so much .... technology. I mean they are measuring things so small a piece of dust on an electrical wire could throw off measurements

I just don't know if i trust CERN , too much technology with the most miniscule thing able to throw off measurements by the smallest fraction.
edit on 2-7-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Aren't you just the satirist.

This is real and really big. You should be excited.

Basic Explanation:

Lay Explanation:

edit on 3-7-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: I added a video.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Great videos. I just wish everyone would actually watch them

Very informative.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LilDudeissocool

Great videos. I just wish everyone would actually watch them

Very informative.

Hmm this double posted not sure why.
edit on 3-7-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DARREN1976

It's a multi-government thing. Although the USA is not that big of a provider they are giving money. When I say taxpayers I am not discriminating. Every country has taxpayers. Maybe some have a different system but a little of everyone's money goes towards funding their government's projects.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join