It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

so i bring up a ...Lol. joke and you bring my religion into part? grow up

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

I have been agnostic, so I can say for certain that it's not playing both sides of the fence. You are sitting ON the fence, and walking the whole way down it. If you've never seen a dog in your life, and find people who either believe in dogs or don't believe in dogs, and you have never before been affected by a dog (that you know of) why in the world should you care about dogs? It's not like your boss pays you to believe, or your wife loves you because you believe, or your kids will be happy as long as you believe in dogs.

It just doesn't matter. There's no playing around, there's a realistic acceptance of the fact that whether or not you believe... LIFE GOES ON.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

great way of avoiding our obvious issue we have together. Now stop forcing your (ID) down my throat, that was sarcasm.

at any rate i was agnosticism at one time, i can say anything i damn well please

I also never said believe anything. you are just caught up and pissy cause of my signature and all.
edit on 3-7-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Its a brilliant one if you think about it, its playing both sides and being safe. so you cannot lose, thats agnosticism

This was a joke? It was in poor taste. Unless you usually make jokes that are completely incorrect?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I guess this particle proves once and for all that God exists.

Awesome!!!!

Not at all. They nick named it the god particle because of it's importance in physics. Not because it has anything to do with God.

It's like calling something really really awesome "godly." It's a metaphor, nothing more, nothing less. It's real name is the "Higgs Boson Particle."

(Sorry if for in someway that was a sarcastic post, if it was, than it was very bad sarcasm.)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

And that's the most idiotic part of this. Why inject religion into something that is pure science? This world is not yet ready for such a fusion. I myself believe they are two sides of the same coin, but that doesn't mean the world is ready to hear it, nor accept it.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by ImaFungi

How exactly do you propose to create technology out of a particle that hasn't even been seen, let alone mastered?

not me,,, and not today,,,, but maybe tomorrow.,.,.,

yesterday we were making homes out of stone,,,,,, now we mine atomic elements out of the stone to make cell phones,,, computers,, nuclear power plants,, space ships,,, tvs,,, submarines,,,,, football stadiums,,,,

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Because this will give insight into and further developments of determining mass and it's properties. In Nuclear fusion, mass is converted to energy. Developments in determining the properties of mass and the energies involved in interactions could provide further technological developments in this and other areas.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

Because this will give insight into and further developments of determining mass and it's properties. In Nuclear fusion, mass is converted to energy. Developments in determining the properties of mass and the energies involved in interactions could provide further technological developments in this and other areas.

Could the higgs particle also revail more about dark matter? and who the universe expands? Coming to this made me think about the subjects of warp technology and who we could shrink and expand timespace..

edit on 3-7-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foppezao

Could the higgs particle also revail more about dark matter? and who the universe expands? Coming to this made me think about the subjects of warp technology and who we could shrink and expand timespace..

Yes, absolutely, that is a major part of the research.

edit on 3-7-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Why does everyone think that we will use this new knowledge to create new technology? Isn't simply having a fact enough? Knowledge is one thing that doesn't have to die. Cars grow old and are replaced, guns wear down and have to be discarded. Bullets are expended, bombs are destroyed, and every tool ever crafted by man has a very finite lifespan. But information can last forever.

Isn't having the KNOWLEDGE of how something works enough? Can't we leave it at that? Or do we HAVE to use these discoveries to engineer faster, cheaper ways of mutilating our planet, to make ourselves feel like gods? What's wrong with us?

When will it be enough? Will it ever be enough?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Well, here we have it -- you started using word soup. It may sound scientific to some but has zero content, just important sounding words.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

And here we have it: you jump in, sit around contributing a whole lot of nothing, then immediately rip into the first person who tries to answer. If it's wrong, tell us why and then give us YOUR view on it. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then leave the thread.

You irritate me with your lack of constructive critical skills.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   

it will be enough,, when the universe stops mankind from progressing,,, so far the natural progression of things have only been encouraging it,,, inviting man to discover the potential adventure and wonders that await them,,, if they are cautious and dare,,,, understanding the actions of every consequence,
edit on 3-7-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

And here we have it: you jump in, sit around contributing a whole lot of nothing, then immediately rip into the first person who tries to answer. If it's wrong, tell us why and then give us YOUR view on it.

About "contributing a lot of nothing" -- it's better to point out lack of substance in a statement, than to go on producing pompous pseudo-science sentences, on and on and on.

To be able to tell why it's WRONG, I first need a statement why one has an opinion that it's RIGHT. But there is not reason to believe it's right whatsoever. There may be a dinosaur in the woods behind our local 7/11. Unless I see evidence why this may be the case, I can't be bothered to prove it's wrong.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, then leave the thread.

Like I'm going to take orders.

You irritate me with your lack of constructive critical skills.

If you are an irritable person, that's hardly my problem. As to "critical skills", I have plenty of that, as should be obvious to anyone who heard about critical thinking. For the rest, it's OK to speculate about that dinosaur hiding in the dumpster.

edit on 3-7-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Well, here we have it -- you started using word soup. It may sound scientific to some but has zero content, just important sounding words.

It isn't word soup it makes perfect sense.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Foppezao

Why does everyone think that we will use this new knowledge to create new technology? Isn't simply having a fact enough? Knowledge is one thing that doesn't have to die. Cars grow old and are replaced, guns wear down and have to be discarded. Bullets are expended, bombs are destroyed, and every tool ever crafted by man has a very finite lifespan. But information can last forever.

Isn't having the KNOWLEDGE of how something works enough? Can't we leave it at that? Or do we HAVE to use these discoveries to engineer faster, cheaper ways of mutilating our planet, to make ourselves feel like gods? What's wrong with us?

When will it be enough? Will it ever be enough?

We develop new electric cars, cause the petrol ones makes use deplete the earths resources, some new technologies have helped us survive or we would have reached the malthusian check/catastrophe..We might need to leave this rock in order to survive as well.
edit on 3-7-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Actually it was you that denied any future possibilites of technology from this find being used in Nuclear fusion research.

There is every possibility that a great many advancements in many areas including Nuclear Fusion will adapt things or use this information in their own research.

It was very arrogant of you to suggest ''no'' they wouldn't.

You are not god or science god so don't try saying the possibilities of the future.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

It isn't word soup it makes perfect sense.

It does? What are "further developments of determining mass"? Huh? What specific properties of mass are you talking about? How does energy have "property"?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Actually it was you that denied any future possibilites of technology from this find being used in Nuclear fusion research.

This statement is false. I did say specifically that "anything is possible". So I didn't deny that. However, there is simply no basis for making an assertion at this point.

It was very arrogant of you to suggest ''no'' they wouldn't.

It is no more arrogant than saying there aren't dinosaurs in the woods in our county. May be there are some, but I haven't seen evidence.

You are not god or science god so don't try saying the possibilities of the future.

Oh no, I'm not "god of science" but I've done problems in quantum field theory and I have a distinct feeling that you haven't.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join