It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God particle is 'found': Scientists at Cern expected to announce on Wednesday Higgs boson particle

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I hope it is true and we can finally unite the various theories & it starts a positive process to finally put religion to bed except for those who need it as a mental or emotional crutch.

But somehow I think we'll shortly find it's not quite as "ultimate" as we thought!

well I think you should never talk in such a "matter of fact" way about religion.I'm not religious at all, but all I can say is...

ya never know

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamtraveler420
by the way, did anyone else read the comments on the 2nd article the OP posted? maybe this will be the big 2012 event, if they find the so called god particle, then in a way, it proves god doesnt exist or any religion at all, so therefore that means no more religion? idk just a random thought, thanks for your opinions everyone!

which article?!

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Azdraik

Originally posted by Azdraik
You know I never quite understood the whole point to this.

Ok, so you found your particle. Its a nice ego stroke to know you were right and it exists.

That does what for us?
What innovations can come out of this discovery?
Will this lead to further advancement of quantum theory?

ad infinitum

Most innovations are the unexpected by products of other discoveries and inventions. What drives research, development and inovation is mans curiosity. It is the curious that better society, as it is the curious that lead to discoveries and inventions that better man kind, not the well-wishers or good-doers which essentially sit around talking about how moral and ethical they are.

Knowledge is power. This will certainly (if true) be a welcomed addition to the universes infinite knowledge.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

how can they be 99.9 percent sure,,,,, when only about one in every ten billion collisions will give them a hint of the higgs boson ,,,,, and this hint lasts for billionth of a billionth of a second?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

That is because we have BARELY made it out of the phase of evolution where we lived in tents a monkey could make and used tools we figured out by watching nature. Evolution will get rid of that sooner or later. Intelligence will be what moves the population forward, not strength and violence, which was required in early stages of evolution.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

In a nutshell? They collected enormous amounts of data, and have slowly built a picture of the anomaly in the data which -- over time -- becomes more and more distinguished from background "noise" in the math. As they crunch the data, they create a clearer picture of what it is they are observing within a certain "range" of parameters. This anomaly is what they are calling the Higgs Bosson "signal."

When they reach 5-sigma they will be 100% certain that the anomaly is a new elementary particle whose composition closely matches the theorized Higgs Bosson, and not just a fuzzy perturbation in the math due to dirt or equipment misalignment (i.e. -- "noise").
edit on 2-7-2012 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainIraq

You know I never quite understood the whole point to this.

Ok, so you found your particle. Its a nice ego stroke to know you were right and it exists.

That does what for us?
Will this lead to further advancement of quantum theory?

ad infinitum

It may solve one of the most persistent problems in science/physics: what makes gravity work?

We've learned to truly utilize all of the other natural forces of the universe only by first understanding how they work. From the understanding of electromagnetism, we got everything from electric power generation to international communications. From the understanding of the nuclear forces, we got everything from nuclear power generation to nuclear weapons.

Unfortunately, as far as we know, understanding Higgs doesn't help at all to answer the question "what makes gravity work?".

The Standard Model has been around (assembled and groomed up from various parts in the 70's & 80's) for a while and virtually every physicist assumed it to be the best-known-so-far description of particle physics. And in the SM, gravity is a complete mystery. Observing Higgs is a sign that that wonky part of SM callled electroweak theory really really is right.

Really it was too bad, some particle theories had more than one Higgs. Just one in its expected place is boring.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
A question for the more scientifically inclined here... according to the theory, are these "god particles" still creating mass in our world? Does this mean that a living cell can harness the power of the Higgs to self replicate?

I'm still having a hard time grasping the concept

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

ok cool thanks,,,,,,

I thought the higgs boson is a supposed field? I just dont get how an invisible mega microscopic hardly detectable particle makes up all the mass of the universe? so everything that exists physically is just a play off of the higgs boson? ( because everything that physical exists, takes up space and has mass) ,..,.,.,

and the reason our bodies are 3 dimensional and have mass is because they are packed out with higgs bosons?

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

The simplest description I have ever read can be found here, and is a clever analogy which describes the theorized Higgs "field" in action.

www.exploratorium.edu...

An oft-cited analogy describes it well: Imagine you're at a Hollywood party. The crowd is rather thick, and evenly distributed around the room, chatting. When the big star arrives, the people nearest the door gather around her. As she moves through the party, she attracts the people closest to her, and those she moves away from return to their other conversations. By gathering a fawning cluster of people around her, she's gained momentum, an indication of mass. She's harder to slow down than she would be without the crowd. Once she's stopped, it's harder to get her going again.

This clustering effect is the Higgs mechanism, postulated by British physicist Peter Higgs in the 1960s. The theory hypothesizes that a sort of lattice, referred to as the Higgs field, fills the universe. This is something like an electromagnetic field, in that it affects the particles that move through it, but it is also related to the physics of solid materials. Scientists know that when an electron passes through a positively charged crystal lattice of atoms (a solid), the electron's mass can increase as much as 40 times. The same might be true in the Higgs field: a particle moving through it creates a little bit of distortion -- like the crowd around the star at the party -- and that lends mass to the particle.

I hope that helps!

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I ran into a ex TRW physicist by the beach. We got to talking and he told me he almost worked on the CERN project, applied many times and was not chosen.

I asked him what physical application will come out of this. He said "There's a saying in the scientific community that first Wall Street will get it, then it goes to application".

So I said "Then what?".

He couldn't actually name an application of it in the real world, but buzzed off a lot of stuff about "Super Symmetry" and mathematical equations, field theories being rewritten.

*Shrugs*
edit on 3-7-2012 by PaxVeritas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

thanks,,,,, still very hard to understand,,,,,,,,,,, ive read a few things on it now and non of them hit me directly as making sense,,,,,,, but thanks for your effort,

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas
I ran into a ex TRW physicist by the beach. We got to talking and he told me he almost worked on the CERN project, applied many times and was not chosen.

I asked him what physical application will come out of this. He said "There's a saying in the scientific community that first Wall Street will get it, then it goes to application".

So I said "Then what?".

He couldn't actually name an application of it in the real world, but buzzed off a lot of stuff about "Super Symmetry" and mathematical equations, field theories being rewritten.

*Shrugs*

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by krossfyter

I dont think the higgs boson will help with hover boards,, because higgs boson is what gives objects mass,,,,,however if we created a hover board out of anti higgs bosons then there should be no problem......
edit on 3-7-2012 by ImaFungi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swamper

That does what for us?

Well as I understand it, this thing comes into existence in everything to give particles mass then disappears. So without it, the particles would have no mass and would travel at the speed of light I suppose maybe in every direction(?) And me personally, still with alot of physics to learn, think that maybe we could use it to take apart mass of something and then use it again at another location forming the exact particles as it was before.

I don't know though, I don't know much else but that one fact about the particle.

Beam me up, Scotty!
2nd

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

I dont think the higgs boson will help with hover boards,, because higgs boson is what gives objects mass,,,,,however if we created a hover board out of anti higgs bosons then there should be no problem......

yeh im just having fun here. i have no clue what so ever what the real world applications are to be honest. its fun to dream.

here is a thread discussing higgs boson, anti matter and hoverboards...

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
Even if we did understand the universe better because of this proven partical , all man will do is exploit it for personal gain, invoking more pain and suffering.

Man is destructive enough without the key to the secret.

I have a theory. It takes only two posts into a topic for someone to say something completely useless. lol

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apollumi
"We found it! We are sure of it. Because of this, this, and this... What? No, we didn't actually find it really, we just know it's there."

Yawn, we'll see. Even if they did find something it will probably be more of a symptom vs the cause kind of thing.

Another person who doesn't understand the different between a scientific theory and a layman's theory.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaxVeritas

So I said "Then what?".

*Shrugs*

What is your point? Your aquaintence doesn't know of any real world applications? So what?

Nothing to see here, people. This will never lead to anything because my friend doesn't understand the practical applications of super symmetry. (Which, BTW, Quantum Computers. Just saying, super symmetry has already been applied to practical applications, to an extent.)

Field Theories being rewritten would likely change a LOT in the way of space travel in the future.

I mean, I can sit here and speculate. But that's irrelevant.

Just as speculating that a scientific breakthrough will have no impact in our day-to-day is irrelevant. (And ignorant)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi

though now that i think about it .... isnt the Higgs Boson, like the photon is its own anti-particle. so how can there be anti higgs boson?

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join