It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warn Kids about latest Dangerous Internet Craze - The "salt and ice" challenge

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
Well, its official, Ive lost complete faith in that generation

This is how old-fashioned ice cream makers lowered the temperature of the ice cream below water's ordinary freezing point. A mixture of rock salt, ice, and water packed in the bucket around the ice cream mix can bring the temperature down as low as -21°C.

So, why do they put salt on icy roads during the winter?
edit on 1-7-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

Because it speeds up the defrosting, hence why a canned drink chills faster in ice with salt than just ice, the salt makes the ice melt faster, thus releasing the cold faster, thus cooling the drink faster.

The "downside" is that your ice melts faster, hence why it is also used on snowy roads; to make the ice melt faster.

@ lmfao at all the "no hope in this generation", nothing new under the sun, when I was a kid people in my school used to shoot pennies at each other's knuckles till they bruised, good way to get a poisoned or infected wound.

And I'm sure before that kids did other things and they probably have been doing silly things for decades, it's just that now, "new" things get spread faster because of pictures and the internet. How do you think the whole meme thing is possible...

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThisIsNotReality

Well, its official, Ive lost complete faith in that generation

This is how old-fashioned ice cream makers lowered the temperature of the ice cream below water's ordinary freezing point. A mixture of rock salt, ice, and water packed in the bucket around the ice cream mix can bring the temperature down as low as -21°C.

So, why do they put salt on icy roads during the winter?
edit on 1-7-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

Because it speeds up the defrosting, hence why a canned drink chills faster in ice with salt than just ice, the salt makes the ice melt faster, thus releasing the cold faster, thus cooling the drink faster.

The "downside" is that your ice melts faster, hence why it is also used on snowy roads; to make the ice melt faster.

@ lmfao at all the "no hope in this generation", nothing new under the sun, when I was a kid people in my school used to shoot pennies at each other's knuckles till they bruised, good way to get a poisoned or infected wound.

And I'm sure before that kids did other things and they probably have been doing silly things for decades, it's just that now, "new" things get spread faster because of pictures and the internet. How do you think the whole meme thing is possible...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ice does not release cold it absorbs the heat from it's surrounding as it warms up. Hence why your skin gets cold burns from applying salt and ice. The salt makes the melting process faster, to melt the ice needs to absorb energy (heat) in this case from the skin of the silly butt who thought it would be an awesome thing to do for the next few minutes of his life.

So the ice melts and the surroundings cool down. At least from what I remember. Any granular substance will speed up melting from what I understand, Urea being the best at melting Ice which has something to do with the size of it's granules and it's solubility in water. I think?

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

This is dumb, but I think if you tell kids not to do something it'll pique their curiosity enough to make them want to do it.

Yes - I can surely understand that, but I think/hope showing them the picture will at least make them think twice.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmD1

The salt makes the melting process faster,

See,.thats what I thought too. I knew that salt water freezes at a lower temp and boils at a higher temp but.. Oh well it doesnt matter lol, I failed chemistry anyway.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

reply to post by IAmD1

The salt makes the melting process faster,

See,.thats what I thought too. I knew that salt water freezes at a lower temp and boils at a higher temp but.. Oh well it doesnt matter lol, I failed chemistry anyway.

I didn't but I fail in the memory department ... my memory is awesome for a gold fish lol

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
They just need someone to bring out some new fad that causes sterilization to help darwin's theory along a little faster, or maybe thats obesity's intention. OK new fad put on as much weight as possibly so it prevents reproduction and kills them off at a younger age todays youth problem solved
youth of today # me, though its the parents fault in part also, but its the parents fault because everyone wants bigger houses or they have to many kids so both have to work so kids arent looked after or brought up properly and thus stupid kids. Blah i'll end up ranting yes there are the exceptions but if you cant take care of your kids bringing them up with morals and manners and teaching them right from wrong (aka stupid bloody things) you shouldnt be allowed to have them.

They need to introduce some hunger games style things, get kids to answer questions about stupid things if they're like yeah lets do this dare man, put them in the pit fight to the death hahahah.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'd rather play chicken with a lit cigarette.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join