It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warn Kids about latest Dangerous Internet Craze - The "salt and ice" challenge

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I wanted to post about this for all you parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, caregivers who may know a young one susceptible to "dares". This new craze all over Facebook and YouTube involves applying salt on the skin, covering it with ice and applying pressure. The combination causes a chemical reaction that burns the skin. The challenge is to see how long you can endure the pain and kids are getting seriously hurt.

"The longer, the more serious the injury. This patient went for a few minutes, but there have been cases that went for six or seven minutes that resulted in third-degree injuries.

This is a pic of a 12 year old boy after the challenge, with serious second degree cold injuries on his back -

Picture's tough to look at

"I want parents to go to Facebook and YouTube to be aware of it and all the other Internet challenges," she said. "Kids are so impressionable and you can tell them no until you are blue in the face."

She said she's heard from others about the salt-and-ice challenge being used as a team initiation or being tried by other children. Children are participating in the challenge more than parents would ever suspect.

I have a nephew who doesn't "think critically" about these kind of things, and this scared me because I know he'd be like "sure, I'll try it". So, I told him about it and showed him the picture. Most kids don''t realize the potential danger, they just want to be cool and impress their friends. These internet crazes spread like wildfire.

So, if you know someone this might affect - pass the info along.

www.post-gazette.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ice on Salt does that?

bigger version of the eraser-burn, I guess

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
this is just now a craze? this is one of the oldest tricks in the book!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I can't wait to try this while cat breading!

Might throw in planking, but that's so a few months ago.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I can't wait to try this while cat breading!

Might throw in planking, but that's so a few months ago.

What is cat breading?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
i first learned about this in middle school.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Breading Catsreply to post by smyleegrl

When I first heard I thought I was some kind of cruelty to cats,but they are so darn cute.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I guess they could go back to trying to burn a hole in a 20, 50, or 100 dollar bill with a lit cig.

I never understood why people did stupid things like that. Even as a kid I could not figure out what people were thinking.

Maybe most people really are stupid.

Raist

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

What is cat breading?

I think it's what you do to get the cats really, really crispy.....

edit on 7/1/12 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/1/12 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
lol "new" trick? Kids are just so innovative these days.

I heard about this thing they are doing where they take string and wrap it around their fingers so they turn purple! who'da thunk?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

Dad used to say "Did that hurt?"

"Yes"

"Then don't do it...idiot!"

Good 'ol dad. Always a kind word...

Sometimes, kids are just stupid plain and simple. We all did things that were stupid and internet or not, the 'cool' idiotic things somehow spread through the Kid Vine.

Either he learned a lesson and won't do it again or...that nasty evolution rule.

Peace
edit on 1-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Haha, that's awesome. I don't think i'll have the balls to do that now though.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Ice on Salt does that?

bigger version of the eraser-burn, I guess

Yes, it's all about initiating a reaction that causes a significant drop in temperature.

This is how old-fashioned ice cream makers lowered the temperature of the ice cream below water's ordinary freezing point. A mixture of rock salt, ice, and water packed in the bucket around the ice cream mix can bring the temperature down as low as -21°C.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Im sorry but if kids are stupid enough to do things to harm themselves to this extent, then let them suffer the consequences....

This whole generation and the problems we are seeing today are a direct product of people being so damn protective of their children that they have no fear of consequences or reprecussions....

STOP THE CODDLING!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Darwinism. You want these kids to one day be in a position of responsibility?

I sure don't.

I wonder how long they can hold ther head in a fire?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Well, its official, Ive lost complete faith in that generation

This is how old-fashioned ice cream makers lowered the temperature of the ice cream below water's ordinary freezing point. A mixture of rock salt, ice, and water packed in the bucket around the ice cream mix can bring the temperature down as low as -21°C.

So, why do they put salt on icy roads during the winter?
edit on 1-7-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I agree if it hurts and they still do it they deserve what they get.

It reminds me of a quote "stupid is as stupid does". Funny how true that rings.

Raist

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

While I admit too many parents today do coddle their kids - I don't think warning them about dangerous activities falls in the same category. I taught my kids when they were toddlers not to go into the street - coddling?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia

While I admit too many parents today do coddle their kids - I don't think warning them about dangerous activities falls in the same category. I taught my kids when they were toddlers not to go into the street - coddling?

The obvious danger of crossing a street in traffic, or keeping away from an oven because its hot , or not poking a dog with a stick....

Is a lot different then a moron on a dare doing something that they know will cause an issue, if they are so stupid as to not recognize a dare is a dare for a reason......

Then i say let them ice themselves into further retardation......

Sorry.....

It sounds cold, but if people cant see with glaring clarity the issues going on with the generation now days and the rampant stupidity and blatant lack of basic logic........then theres an even greater problem......

Let the stupid weed themselves out.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join