It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concept for a new Silent Flight Craft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Not sure if this is the right location for this kind of thing but.. here it goes :

So I have found that if you produce a warm zone of air, you can generate a flow of air towards this location and also away from it.. from memory I think it might be a case of coller air will be drawing warmer air towards it..

So the idea is that you could somehow generate using extremem heat bars, under large winged planes.. you could create your own updraft of airflow thus holding the craft into the air without need for a rotating part.

This is a basic thought and perhaps some of the more skilled members out there can input ideas to add onto this to use the concept I have presented here and turn this into a more useful and plausable machine that could exploit this principle to some degree of usefull ness

Sorry for th elimited effort on this post, I'm just at work and am a bit rushed but wanted to get this thoguht out here to see what the community does with the general idea of it all.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxCavalera
So I have found that if you produce a warm zone of air, you can generate a flow of air towards this location and also away from it.. from memory I think it might be a case of coller air will be drawing warmer air towards it..

So the idea is that you could somehow generate using extremem heat bars, under large winged planes..

Its more correct to say that warmer air has a lower density, and in the case of our atmosphere, will rise and thus draw in cooler (more dense) air from the region around it.
So your idea might work if you modified it slightly, such that you have a large container of warm air. That would generate lift. Not much though, so your aircraft would have to be light and small. Maybe make it out of a wicker basket. That should be ok. Enough for two or three people.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
ahh yeah that's interesting indeed, I just didn't have the chance to work my head around which way it works. Do you think if several of these warm air chambers were located near the base of the craft you could use intake vents to draw directional air for thrust?

I just realised it's the same principle as a hot air baloon.. which I just rrealised your post is most likely taking the piss out of my idea .. oops

I was visioning more a plane shaped craft with airflow control than a sack of hot air.
edit on 1-7-2012 by JaxCavalera because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Nice. I wonder what pictures we'd find if we searched for such a contraption.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxCavalera

But! There is something here.

Think propeller with heating element above. Air above heated, causing it to rise, pulling cooler air in from below, and turning the propeller. Generating lift, and A/C.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

that's just mean
I was not intending to have a slow drifting hot air balloon but a solar panel heat bar generating platform shaped craft.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet
reply to post by JaxCavalera

But! There is something here.

Think propeller with heating element above. Air above heated, causing it to rise, pulling cooler air in from below, and turning the propeller. Generating lift, and A/C.

well if you make tall pipes with fan blades inside the updraft will provide rotation for power generation due to air temp. displacement afaik so thats one option tho not prolly useful for a craft.. or maybe it could as down hanging wind tubes under the craft like ice shanks in a cave roof.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Not sure if this is the right location for this kind of thing but.. here it goes :

So the idea is that you could somehow generate using extremem heat bars, under large winged planes.. you could create your own updraft of airflow thus holding the craft into the air without need for a rotating part.

This is a basic thought and perhaps some of the more skilled members out there can input ideas to add onto this to use the concept I have presented here and turn this into a more useful and plausable machine that could exploit this principle to some degree of usefull ness

Sorry for th elimited effort on this post, I'm just at work and am a bit rushed but wanted to get this thoguht out here to see what the community does with the general idea of it all.

They already employ this concept in a little something called "hot air balloon"

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

edit on 1-7-2012 by Turkenstein because: double post

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Turkenstein

omg they do? XD sorry mate, no I do realise this as I pointed out several times in previous posts here after it was subtly brought to my attention through a comedic paragraph, I'm more looking at alternative and better exploitations of this principle as also outlined

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
You are using creative thought, that is commendable, keep it up.

Your idea is sound and yes..like a balloon in a way.

The problem is, the energy required to "Heat" something, maybe more than is needed to actually produce lift/thrust.
And indeed the "Heating" part may create lift, but not thrust..lateral movement.

How our aircraft fly is by using air pressure....the difference between high pressure, on the top of the wing, and low pressure, under the wing, there fore this creates lift. of course to achieve this you need thrust to create enough wind speed to create the lift...hence large engines.

This effect is known as the "Coanda" Effect.
Note it doesnt have to be a curved wing surface, but this has been designed to achieve the different pressure.
Even Early man new this 10,000 years ago!!!!! the Australia peoples BOOMERANG IS A FLYING WING.
Whether they experimented trial and error, or the rainbow serpent gave them the knowledge, who knows? BUT they Knew!!!

An example of the Coanda effect, I experienced last summer. I had an occilating fan on high, near a door opening, to keep cool. every few minutes the door would close. Took me a few minutes, then I realised that the fast moving air past the flat surface of the door, caused the door to actually move towards the wind...simple no magic, no aliens, no ghosts...just Universal physics.

Besides the "Triangle" manufactures have already discovered some alternative way of flight, it appears.
Just wish they would let the rest of the World in on the secret.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Thank you for this additional information, it's helped me to further conceptualise what I had in mind. What I understand of heat is that it would take more energy to create the warm "zones" of air than they could possibly generate in the example of the generator pipe system so you couldn't have perpetual lift from that alone.

I was considering that if you lined the roof surface of the vehicle with solar panels (or even one of the more modern solar paint techniques that we are yet to see hit the commercial market), you would be able to offset some of this loss.

I then thought that since this craft requires no rotating propellors below it, you could also have a large array of these wind tubes haning down 50M or so at full extended length, or 2M when fully retracted upwards which would provide additional power generation due to the temperature displacement over a 50M span.

These tubes would retract when near the ground for landing and then extend out as altitude was obtained. I'm picturing a similar looking stp to those kids telescopes where each length of tube was slightly smaller than the previous length and inside of the tube as it pulls downwards, a section of the interior of the previous piece would fold out to form a fre-flowing "vein" / fan that would of cause rotate as the airflow would move through the tubes.

The longer the tube, the more power that could be generated. (I'd almost expect no power to be obtained from a tube of anything under 15M in length. So the only means of a takeoff would be on a sunny day but once in the air perhaps the tubes could sustain the heat bars that are used for lift..

Of cause as you pointed out, this doesn't overcome the lateral movement. What ideas would there be for obtaining this aside from the obvious sails. kinda cool to see tho... floating ships that ride the air pressure. different shape to a hot air balloon, more like a blimp I suppose.

The thing that would be key here is to find a way to remove moving parts though as moving parts like large fans don't tend to be very quiet XD

I had somehow thought that if you were to create a wall of heat bars running vertically and then horizontal vents, that the air flow would be almost like a suction effect and would pull the wall in a given direction.. I am wondering if this thought process is broken and where it's not accurately being pieced together in my head.

I found when dabbling with magnetic forces, pull actions were free as opposite poles naturally attracted but push actions required external energy so if you could get airflow to naturally pull instead of using engines to push, there would perhaps be room for energy conservation...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

you could also have a large array of these wind tubes haning down 50M or so at full extended length, or 2M when fully retracted upwards which would provide additional power generation due to the temperature displacement over a 50M span.

In a related note, you could start with the idea of a "solar chimney"...

... and the turbines could power some kind of propulsion system.

Or remove the turbines and have the air flowing out the top constricted, fast flowing (and thus low pressure) over a wing surface.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

you could also have a large array of these wind tubes haning down 50M or so at full extended length, or 2M when fully retracted upwards which would provide additional power generation due to the temperature displacement over a 50M span.

In a related note, you could start with the idea of a "solar chimney"...

... and the turbines could power some kind of propulsion system.

Or remove the turbines and have the air flowing out the top constricted, fast flowing (and thus low pressure) over a wing surface.

I get an aircraft / glider concept.. I'm not that dumb.. I'm trying to break out of traditional forms to use alternative means for the exploitation of the same principle..

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I get an aircraft / glider concept.. I'm not that dumb.. I'm trying to break out of traditional forms to use alternative means for the exploitation of the same principle..

Then I think you misunderstand my post.
Neither of the two ideas I've given have ever been built.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Then I think you misunderstand my post.
Neither of the two ideas I've given have ever been built.

I'm not intending to come across as irritated, I would appreciate if you could elaborate on your ideas further as with the posts pointing to the hot air balloon already doing what it initially seemed I was referring to I'm sure you can understand my missinterpreting the intention of your descriptions as wicker baskets are a classic hot air balloon material. Now i know this is not the case i'm excited to hear more on your own ideas and thoughts too
edit on 2-7-2012 by JaxCavalera because: (no reason given)

top topics

join