It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran, Israel, and the Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

When I first saw the headline in the current issue (July/August 2012) of Foreign Affairs – "Why Iran Should Get the Bomb" – I thought there was a typo. Surely it was meant to read "Why Iran Should Get the Bomb – Not!"

But then I remembered that this bimonthly journal is not known for its typos – nor, for that matter, irony.

On the contrary, this is arguably the world's most influential and straight-shooting publication on foreign policy.

The author of this particular essay, Kenneth Waltz, is no slouch, either. He is a prominent scholar and a founder of the neorealism school in international relations theory.

So I turned to the piece, eager to see if my own longstanding concern about an Iranian bomb was perhaps misplaced.

I was dumbfounded by what I read.

Here are a few choice snippets:

"Most U.S., European, and Israeli commentators and policymakers warn that a nuclear-armed Iran would be the worst possible outcome of the current standoff. In fact, it would probably be the best possible result: the one most likely to restore stability to the Middle East."

“Another oft-touted worry is that if Iran obtains the bomb, other states in the region will follow suit, leading to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East.... Should Iran become the second Middle Eastern nuclear power since 1945, it would hardly signal the start of a landslide.... No other country in the region will have an incentive to acquire its own nuclear capability, and the current crisis will finally dissipate, leading to a Middle East that is more stable than it is today."

“Diplomacy between Iran and the major powers should continue.... But the current sanctions on Iran can be dropped: they primarily harm ordinary Iranians, with little purpose."

And then there's Waltz's closing line: “When it comes to nuclear weapons, now as ever, more may be better."

Iran, Israel, and the Bomb

I just stumbled across this and thought it was an interesting insight into what the people of Israel are seeing in their MSM. I don't know how popular this author is, but he does make some good points. I really don't care what other countries do, but I do wish that the U.S. would just stay out of it. Unless the U.S. is directly attacked, I don't think that they should invade other countries and attempt to spread Democracy. The Middle East has been under a constant state of conflict forever, and the U.S. won't be able to change that.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Israel is the real threat to peace in the region and in the whole world.
In fact, they have been violently raping peace for over half a century now.
They are a dangerous, apartheid, terrorist state ruled by religious nut jobs who have no fear of destroying the world with a nuke because they believe a fairy tale god will save them.
It doesn't take much to know this as fact, you just need to remove the preconceived ideas society has pushed on you and review the facts.
Iran is putting itself in a very risky position by not getting a nuke which they should have every right too.

I hope that Iran can get a nuke to even the score because there are not many other ways of stabilizing the situation anyway apart from the world stopping Israel finally.

If Israel was any other state it would have been invaded decades ago.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
There is so much disinfo and misinfo in regards to the Iran issue that any time I see an article for or against Iran having nuclear weapons....

MY #ING HEAD EXPLODES.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think we should all be given a nuclear bomb. everyone on earth. that way we can all be equals and not be enslaved by the guys with the bombs

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There is some concern about the rivalry between separate Islamic sects ....
I dont propose to be expert at it, but it seems to me the Saudi,(keepers of holiest site)and iranis, are at loggerheads over something we dont even think is rational let alone important.
In fact im not even sure what it is.....but know they do have emnity between them....
What if Iran gets the bomb? The Saudis will want one too....(if they havent already purchased some on the down low from whomever would sell.....(they have the cash)...
Then the Egyptians may want to be considered a nuclear power to be reckoned with....maybe not but....hmmmm?
From where i sit theres just way too much fanatical,if not downright nihilisticly suicidal sects (did i say that right?)
What i mean is theres far too many people who could get so wound up they would actually pull the nuclear trigger, after which it would be game on for the rest.
I cant really see any good outcome of arming one or two or more of such whacky mind sets with WMD.....
What scares me most is that we have already polluted the world with atomic explosions and low grade uranium munitions which kill for aeons after they are shot from a gun....
Think about that boys and girls, youve got a gun that spits out thousands of these a minute, and every round fired is a shot that lasts practically eternity....it just goes on killing down through time.......no matter how small the pieces of it....in fact, the smaller the better for spreading the death around the the generations to come.....
and in a half a billionj ears it will be half as deadly as is is when fired....
Now thats a shot heard round the world!
OOPs i wander slightly....but the means to make these otheratomic munitions are garnered from the process of building bombs....
The USA didnt know what to do to get rid of the mountains of it they produced....It was killing and deforming those around the place it was piled.
Soooo why not shoot it through guns at other people in other countries....let them deal with it?
two problems solved at once....and should you NOT want our beautiful country pulluted with our DU ammunition, you can just roll over and play dead for us as we rape the economy and the resources and the people.
Now these guys too will be shooting this # at each other, and us!
no way jose......
take those nukes away from everyone....shut down the reactors world wide,
And release the 6000 patents which the goverment shrouds in secrecy for "national security" read corporate security....
We have better stuff...and we didnt get it from aliens....
I hate to imagine the middle east bristling with nuclear deterrents.....theres a whole road that gets travelled in the process......its not just the bombs....
The wasted money and the peoples lives......its such a sick situation that any eight year old could do better,

The most money wasted is for military hardware....thats known to be obsolete the moment its a production model....What are we gonna do? get the oil money back selling these suckers higher tech,weapons to use against each other,and supply a whole useless arms race there?
It doesnt stop with just the bomb you know....
Then theres MIRVs, and Cruise missile, and iron domes, and searches at airports, and police in your bathroom....ALL of it is going absolutely NOWHERE!
BUT its eating us ALL out of house and home!

Theres only so much resources, so much land to grow stuff....
They broke the Great Man Made River in Libya with their bombs....That broke my heart....
Then they bombed the ONLY factory in Libya that makes the PIPES!
So WHOs selling bottled water in Libya?I bet its a Halliburton subsidiary....
These MFs will destroy the world to sell another M1Abrams to anyone whos got the cash.
They dont care how many people a tank kills in one day...one combat operation, one ETHNIC CLREANSING.....
Why? Because now they want to sell you the AMMUNITION!
YEP, go get em tiger.....
Now you think that every one of these guys WONT want the bomb?India and Pakistan got the bomb...look how well they are getting along!
i dont think so................but thats just me maybe...
s

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Iran should have several bombs!
It would put them on the same footing as the terrorist state of israel who is systematically killing countries via US proxy.
I say give Iran the sampson option!

edit on 1-7-2012 by g146541 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join