It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

42 the answer to the Universe what does it mean? I found out(thru youtube :D )

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
While looking at another youtube clip posted on here about The sperm whale in the Hitchers guide to the galaxy, I saw this vid and played it.
I pressed play and I agree with what it is saying here it is

We live in a universe which is destructive and everything must die, is this how D.Addams came up with the number 42?

PS I did not make the video so I can't take credit for it, I only take credit for bringing it here

edit on 1-7-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Silly Monkey. 42 means Starbuck. The license plate number of Starbuck's truck on Caprica is "FB 42 E3".

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In other words, 42 is a codeword for a philosophy based on the randomness in life. Although personally, I see it as this is an answer to a question that has no wrong answers, only people who disagree with it.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Silly Blue. That license plate was obviously advertising that Facebook would be holding booth number 42 at the E3 gathering. Just one more trap designed to trick everyone into sharing their private information on the only place where it's never safe: the internet.
edit on 1-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Good post Op
Some people live there lives with a roll of the Die
With the number the die rolls making there next decision

Cran

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
....give anything to roll the dice just one more time.

Some will win, some will lose. Some were born to sing the blues!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It means you haven't read or seen one of the most awesome stories around!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The true answer is in "The Hunting of the Snark".
It is the number of the Baker's luggage;
"He had forty-two boxes, all carefully packed,
With his name clearly printed on each.
But since he omitted to mention the fact,
They were all left behind on the beach".
"Hunting of the Snark", Fit the First- by Lewis Carroll
edit on 1-7-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
42 is the number of triangles surrounding the central triangle in the Sri Yantra, the yantra known to millions of hindus as depicting the divine creative process.

If you want to know its true, spiritual meaning, visit:
smphillips.8m.com...
You would, however, be advised to start herehere

Higher (superphysical) consciousness spans 42 different levels......

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Sigh... I don't know why I bother, but, here goes... What makes you think that the op, or anyone else here, has not seen or watched that story? I thought you posted some more information regarding the answer to what 42 means. I was wrong. Don't ever abuse my sense of misplaced trust ever again.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3n19m470

Don't ever abuse my sense of misplaced trust ever again.

Is that a threat

Lighten up!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I have seen it and also have the boxed 80's version on tape (much better than the remake) and I have all his books, but it has been a few years since I read them.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
The true answer is in "The Hunting of the Snark".
It is the number of the Baker's luggage;
"He had forty-two boxes, all carefully packed,
With his name clearly printed on each.
But since he omitted to mention the fact,
They were all left behind on the beach".
"Hunting of the Snark", Fit the First- by Lewis Carroll
edit on 1-7-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

Haha yeah, I totally know exactly what you're talking about! But I was thinking, just for the heck of it, maybe we could explain a few things, you know, for the benefit of those who don't know the essential facts that outline the significance of the number 42. Of course, when I say "we" I really mean "just you", since I think we can all agree that its a story you tell best. Of course, when I say "we" I really mean "I". I think that if I were one of those people who doesn't get the connection with this poem and the meaning of everything, some questions I might like answered would be, if you dont mind me giving you a few pointers... What is the significance of the baker having 42 pieces of luggage? Who is the baker and what is he doing? Why does he have any luggage, let alone 42 pieces? Where is he going? Coming from? How does any of this link with any themes provided by The Hitchhiker's Guide?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Nah just a joke. If my trust is misplaced to begin with, then why would I expect you... Ah, nevermind. But since when does somebody telling you not to do something amount to a threat? And I'm the one who needs to lighten up... I'm all jokes and laughter, and look at you. Sorry I didn't mean to threaten you...I guess sometimes I don't know my own strength
Carryon...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

It was the unnecessary use of "ever" along with the previous few sentences that made it seem like a threat from my POV.

No worries I'ma party ppls today.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Seems there is a rather mundane evplanation.

Phrases from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Douglas Adams was asked many times why he chose the number 42. Many theories were proposed,[6] but he rejected them all. On November 3, 1993, he gave an answer[7] on alt.fan.douglas-adams:

The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do'. I typed it out. End of story.

Adams described his choice as 'a completely ordinary number, a number not just divisible by two but also six and seven. In fact it's the sort of number that you could without any fear introduce to your parents

edit on 1-7-2012 by N3k9Ni because: eta

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Nothing is mundane my friend, including artistic inspiration. The artist in question might think inspiration is mundane, but that doesn't make it so. Artists are mere vehicles, mere puppets of the archetypes in the collective unconscious...whether the artist realizes it or not.

"As a human being the artist may have many moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is 'man' in a higher sense – he is 'collective man' – one who carries and shapes the unconscious, psychic life of mankind." -Carl Jung

edit on 1-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Can't say i disagree, my life seems like a continous loop of dices being rolled

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You have it all wrong.

6 by 9 is not 42.

Therefore the answer makes no sense. Just like life. We seek meaning for it, when there is none. It's a trick. An imagined carrot at the end of the stick of life, causing us to hee haw along the way, always after that elusive vegetable.

The point of it all is that there is no point.

see if I dont!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

A snail doesn't care for the mona lisa.

Nor does a chimpanzee crave a yacht.

Art is subjective.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join