It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Last Few Days

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So I'm catching up on the news now and I see there's fires in Colorado, that's interesting. A few days ago my area got hit by a massive storm. I'm not entirely sure where the damage happened but something major for the power grid got taken out. As a result my town and everywhere else in a 45-60 mile radius (not entirely sure) ended up without power. Due to the heat (100+ degrees with high humidity) the water towers were running low too. The storm knocked out the power right before the pumps kicked in. As a result we ran out of water pressure within a few hours causing the area to have no electricity, no phone service (a landline could get a dial tone but it couldn't call anywhere), and no water.

The power just kicked back on an hour ago or so. Let me say this, you really appreciate a shower after 4 days without in very hot humid weather. So far I haven't seen mention of it on national news but it's been interesting. We had one gas station in town with an electric generator, I was out walking around the other day (it's hot but there was nothing else to do... and I was trying to find a place selling water, in hindsight this was really stupid... I almost ended up in the emergency room) and there was a 7 hour line for gas. the line stretched across town. People were running out of gas in line, walking to the gas station, buying a gas can+a couple gallons of gas, and putting it in their cars just to make it to the gas station to fill up.

I was out driving around with a friend the other day shortly after the blackout hit and we went through our town, the neighboring town across the river (parkersburg, west virginia), and a bunch of small towns around us. The whole thing was surreal there was no electricity anywhere (aside from Lowes and Home Depot). In parts it was like something out of a post apocalyptic movie as we were going past homes and seeing massive trees knocked over into them by the 90+ MPH winds that came with the storm.

It's my first time experiencing something like that, I suppose people who get hit with hurricanes would be used to it but it was new to me.

I'm probably lucky we got power back when we did, the stores weren't selling water, infact they weren't even open. I only managed to get about a gallon of water before the pressure was gone and I went through that over the last couple days trying to stay hydrated in this heat.

Edit: Not sure if this is the right forum for this, so mods can move it if needed.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Vrill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vrill
I'm probably lucky we got power back when we did, the stores weren't selling water, infact they weren't even open. I only managed to get about a gallon of water before the pressure was gone and I went through that over the last couple days trying to stay hydrated in this heat.

This reality hit me about 10 years ago when I lived in San Antonio. A hurricane was coming up towards Texas and it had a good chance to make landfall and continue to go up to San Antonio too. The stores sold out of water and essentials in hours and I had nothing as I looked around my house but maybe a 1/2 case of bottle water and very little else.

That put the fear in me that things could go so wrong very quickly, though in that case it didn't, but since then I'm prepared to go without support for months if need be.

Something as simply filling up your bath tub is helpful, but in your case there was no warning and so 10 cases of water stacked somewhere is about 40 bucks and could be life or death in even short term situations without anything. I also have a portable water Microfilter that is good for 13,000 gals of clean water before the filter needs replacement.

edit on 1-7-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Glad you got power back on!

It sucks being without it!

Friday we lost it twice here... for about 3 hours each time... and the outages were about 5 hours apart...

But still thats no 4 days...

In the winter time we lose power quite often for upwards of a week or so.

We prepare for such emergencies. We have a generator but only use it if our food is in danger of ruining.
So we cope pretty well without power.

Sucks you went through that and even though I've been through several outages... I am so glad that we kept out power!!

get ya a warm meal and a cold shower my friend you earned your "wings" this week

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I saw a documentary, not too long ago, that discussed how ancient our infrastructure in this country is and, in particular, how vulnerable the power grid was. I don't want to turn this into yet another political thread, but I can't help but feel that having so much of the east coast lose power, due to some T-storms, seems a bit suspicious; especially if it's preventable.

We get so worried about terror attacks and cyber attacks - we can't even handle a wind and rain attack.....

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
oh and on a side note...

We reuse milk jugs... juice jugs etc...

and fill them with tap water... for emergencies... we change the water out about every 2 months...

If you clean the jugs out real good you can use it for drinking and it wont effect the taste of the water. keep em in a dark place if possible.

Cos buying a large amount of water from the store is expensive... I suggest keeping around 10 gallons around at least

You can even use 2 liters etc

edit on 7/1/12 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Wow, sounds like you've had a hard time. The good thing is that you and everyone else have made it through those hard times. It sure wakes you up when hard times come on a person in such an unexpected fashion. Without electricity and gas, everything seems to come almost to a halt in this world that we live in.

That's when its nice to have a windmill for free running water and an outdoor fireplace to heat water (as well as an indoor fireplace in the winter) and a good bicycle with carrying capacity for goods and a backpack.

Welcome back to ATS.
edit on 1-7-2012 by RussianScientists because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Great narrative!
Glad you're back among the powered.

We are so powerless over nature. I saw that storm as it crossed Ohio and thought nothing of it. How awful for you and those in its path

After I heard how bad it was.....I ordered a battery powered fan.....and I will make sure to have more than 3-4 gallons of water around.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I learned this a few years back...next time you need water, just empty the water heater. It will usually be mostly filled unless you just took a long shower.

Glad you made it out okay!

How to get Emergency Drinking Water from a Water Heater
edit on 1-7-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This you first power outage experience?
I wouldnt call it out of the ordinary.
Sure does make you realize the luxury of electricity doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
15 yrs ago in Quebec .. 1 week without power because of the bad winter and the ice rain
at least we didnt loose anyfood .. behind the house we made a fridge inside the snow
and we had a little generator for the microhave and lights

between what you have endured and me 15 yrs ago
i would prefer to be stuck in winter without electricity then with 100 degrees outside
4 days without electricity ? damn in that kind of heat
it is very dangerous ,, of course everyone will go buy everything in locals store

we depend on electricity so much .. because the big industrie made pacts with the government
to always maximise the profit
they knew if they would help everyhouse to be independant
with bio fuel solar and air energy ..
the big electric compagnies would not do has much money repairing and selling equipement
to turn any house into a living generator .. the energy would be free
thats why they made every house with equipment to receive energy from outside
making everyhouse totaly dependant on the big corps

we wouldnt have to worry about storms taking out a electric poles that would affect millions

Damn its time this system crash and we start building things for the people .. not for the money
the gas industry is another greedy monster
we could create our own bio fuel with our waste
and recycling everything else

We have all the tech to acheive that .. but has long the gov regulate the big industries and laws
free energy for everyone in everyhouse will not exist
because they WILL NOT PERMIT IT

To the Op .. imagine your 4 days living in such house
you wouldnt be here with this thread

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

People bag on preppers but if you had proper provisions your story would have been about how you spent 4 days playing cards with the family and catching up on a few books!

You don’t have to wear a tin foil hat or believe in martial law to realize the REAL benefit of preparing for unforeseen events; I’d bet you've learned that after this experience.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
No matter how much people hate on their government and the system, they still leave themselves in a situation of relying on them for their basic needs ..Not you personally but a generalisation of the whole with a few exceptions.
Good story which makes it easy to visualize whats going on ,on the dark side of the Earth.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Come visit us in the ATS Survival Forums . You'll never be caught off guard again, being prepared will become second nature to you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So glad you have power on again. I talked with my Daughter this am, in Bethesda Md. They are still without. They are running around to the few places that have electricity to charge cell phones, and trying to keep cool.

Glad to have you back....

Des

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Your not kidding on how much we rely on basic luxuries these days. People go crazy without electricity.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is a good lesson for you and I am so glad you are alright. I had a similar wake up sort of deal recently. Back in September, our area was badly flooded from that hurricane Lee. It was awful. I realized that even though I liked to think that I was prepared for stuff, we really weren't. When the waters receded and we were able to go back to our home, there was no electricity and no gas. There was a boil water advisory in effect and I couldn't even boil the water with my camp burner thing I have. The flame couldn't even bring the water to a boil! We were fortunate that there were help stations set up around the area and we were able to get water and food if necessary. But we skipped the food because we were ok on that at home with our dry goods. Fridge stuff we had to throw most of it out though.

Anyway, a few big things I learned is I needed to make sure we had bug out bags better built, ours were half of what we could have used when we evacuated, that we need more lighting than candles (fire hazard, and a home was burned because of it in our town), and that we need MORE WATER stored up (and/or a better stove to boil it). We also had a couple incidents of attempted looting a street over from ours in which the person was shot at by the homeowner (we heard the shots and it was scary, found out later that it was what we thought had happened). The other one, the woman knocked out the intruder with a chair! hahah. So surreal. Helicopters circling over head and cops coming down our street with all the spotlights on it patrolling the area. I live in a suburb and it was so weird to be experiencing stuff I had only seen on news or read about previously.

My point is, and I don't think I need to tell you this, is learn from it. Be better prepared now. I really viewed it as a good lesson.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'll say this, without power everything goes to hell. I remember a thing a few years ago which said we've found Chinese and Russian code in our power grid capable of shutting it down. I'm 100% convinced that if war ever breaks out between the US and a major power the first thing that's going to happen is we take out each others power grids.

Without electricity so much disappears:
The pumps for water towers don't run so they don't refill, which means water pressure disappears and there's no water.
The pumps for gas stations don't run so fuel runs out.
There's very little phone coverage now that everyone uses cell phones. No power means no cell towers.
There's no internet obviously.
There's no radio. I managed to get some weak signals from far out of the area but had the damage been wider there wouldn't have been any radio signals at all.
There's very little cooking. If you're using an electric stove like me things suck.
Car accidents skyrocket. So many people don't know how to drive when there's no power for traffic signals. I watched tons of people blow through intersections rather than stopping. I would estimate 80% of cars didn't stop. No cops came out to direct traffic.

It sucks. And a solar flare that knocks out power will be a real mess and that will eventually happen.

Now that power is back up i'm able to check the website for the local paper. It seems our town has 1 cooling station set up (it wasn't advertised anywhere other than the website) and it's on the edge of town. Our city officials are brilliant.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Im also curious how it would take for people to become hostile and get the mindset of stealing from others and maybe even killing? Im guessing when some sort of ancient survival mechanism kicks in? Maybe a week?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Gosh i know exactly how you feel. You might remember all of those big tornadoes in april 2011in the south, well i live in alabama where the most damage was done and we were without power for 2 weeks! It was absolutely horrible and everything was damaged so bad that even when the power came back on we still would lose power every couple of days because we were running pretty much on the back up stuff at the power plants. The only good part about it was that we came up with a lot of creative ways to cook food without electricity lol

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Hahaha...as I have said in the past Its the end for all who are still asleep.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Awakened2012 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join