It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Courting the Amish Vote!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
While Michael Moore is out there handing out his potato chips, ramen noodles and underwear to students, it would seem that politicians are also out there trying to cultivate a different category of voter - the Amish.

I am wondering how and if the Amish will vote? This election seems to be all about Iraq and the amish are passifists?

"In a close presidential race, Republicans and Democrats are scouring America for every vote they can get, sometimes reaching out to unlikely groups of potential voters.

The hotly contested Midwestern state of Ohio boasts the country's largest community of Old Order Amish, a Christian sect of Swiss origin that forbids the use of automobiles, electricity, telephones and other modern conveniences in favor of a simple agrarian life. The Amish are being courted for their vote as never before, sparking debate within their reclusive community as to whether political participation is appropriate.

On the winding roads of Holmes County, Ohio, cars and trucks are outnumbered by one-horse buggies.

Like most Amish men, carpenter Roy Miller sports a long beard but no mustache, a plain white shirt, homemade trousers and a simple hat. He smiles warmly when asked about President Bush.

"I wrote him a letter and invited him and [First Lady] Laura [Bush] to share an Amish-cooked chicken dinner with us," he said. "I think he is a good man, I really do. I think he wants what is right for this country.""

www.voanews.com... D=45C9C78F-88AD-11D4-A57200A0CC5EE46C&categoryname=USA

[edit on 6-10-2004 by Mynaeris]

new topics

join