It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best AR platform .308?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I dunno if your set on .308 but i hear great things about the 300 aac blackout you get all the benefits of .308 but it fits standard 556 mags you can find this in AR platforms they may even make a drop in replacement to convert your existing AR

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Build your own and get the best combination of parts you can get. All AR's get 'upgraded' eventually, might as well do research on each individual component and figure out what would be best for the particular build your going for.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The Springfield M1A is would be my ONLY consideration. Yea, it's kinda heavy but it has the firepower and long range capability that comprise a true "Battle Rifle". The Springfield's also less expensive that a lot of these rifles that are being mentioned. It's the only logical choice.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What are you going to use it for? 308 is basically long range sniper style...you need the scope too. ATOG style and 227 556 is just fine. Long term survival I would go with the old 22 long since you can get 50k rounds for nothing and would last you a life time.

So just what is it you are trying to accomplished?

edit to add any 308 under 20 inch is a waste....

edit on 25-9-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SubTruth

I'm with you on that! The M-14/M1A is a Grunt's Rifle, we can do just about anything with it. Up close and personal, long range, and anywhere in between. And, if you run out of ammo, just fix a Bayonet or beat the enemy to death with it. Best of all, you don't need to "Baby" it. This ain't no sissy gun, it's a "Battle Rifle".

Semper Fi

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
When it comes to AR platforms, or any firearm for that matter, you really can't beat a Sig. I grew fond of Sig's during my years in the Navy with the PK229 .40 being my service sidearm and anytime I was on active mission status I would grab up a Sig 551 over an M4 or even our standard issue MK12's anyday. We had SR25's and I loved those hut that was only due to the 7.62x51 chamber which IMO shoots circles around any 5.56 round.

I've fired a lot of various firearms during my 16 years under NSWCOM but IMO Sig's were the most dependable, durable, failsafe guns in our armory. As far as the 5.56 vs .308 debate, well you just can't beat the ballistics of the .308 round. I currently own 3 AR platforms, all Sig's, the 517 in its standard 7.62x51, the 716 Precision Sniper in 7.62x51, and my old 551 in 5.56. I've used Sig's in SDV and SOC incursions going from submerged to sandy beaches or muddy riverbanks and used them numerous times in the arid areas of Iraq and Afghan with no loss in dependability.

As far as your question of AR or good ole M14, that is just dependent on your own personal choices and what you intend to do with your gun. Personally I love the M14 and own an M14 Tactical as well as my newest acquisition, a M21 Tactical custom chambered for 300 WinMag.

TBH of all my guns, my M14 probably gets the most rounds send down the barrel. Just a great shooting, stable gun to shoot. In the end its all a matter of personal choice, I've shot several DPMS AR's in both 5.56 and 7.62 and honestly wasn't impressed with them. I've never been much of a fan of H&K Arms with the exception of some of their pistols and sub machine guns and find their AR platform to leave quite a lot to be desired.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

DPMS are the lower end of the AR market. Try firing a high end AR and it will change your mind. Like a BCM or Knights,Larue,Noveske.

I own a M1A Socom2 and a Knights SR-15 guess what one I would choose if the SHTF. The .556 round is the best all around rifle round. It packs a heck of a wallop at 500 yards and less.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I love my Armalite AR-15, its got a Nato barrel, with a 1:9 twist, absolutley spot on target, plus I bought a .22 cal conversion kit for it, best thing I ever bought for my AR set up, because I can play around with .22 calibers all day, then switch to the .223 caliber in about 30 seconds. As far as a .308, there are a lot of good guns out there, it just comes down to what you like and what you can afford. My next gun is going to be Armalite AR-10. So sweet. But like I said its what you like and can afford, and the shooters ability to shoot, you can buy the best .308 caliber gun out there, but if you dont shoot very well, then really what the Hell does it matter

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by chopperswolf
a friend has the POF 308, it kicks like a .22 and is soup can accurate at 600 yards, mounted with a zeiss tactical scope with mil dot cross hairs for ranging the target. it is heavy because of the long heavy barrel and tac rail forearm, 16 pounds loaded. it balances well and is very reliable. no failures of any kind so far, and it eats any ammo 308 or 7.62x 51 on the market without a problem .
edit on 1-7-2012 by chopperswolf because: hit the wrong key

The POF is quite pricey, but it is 7.62 which is fairly easy to reload. And reliable as well.

I always recommend to others that the M1A or the POF are the way to go. Both great weapons.

But if you're on a budget, the M1A is the route to go. Damn fine weapon, though a tad heavy.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

The Armalite AR-10 is a good weapon (I had one that I customized), but I would recommend waiting until you can afford a POF.

In the long run, the price is about the same after customization. And the POF is piston driven, which is a bit more reliable.
edit on 22-10-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardiver

I've fired a lot of various firearms during my 16 years under NSWCOM

Whhhhaaaat!? The Navy doesn't spell out their acronyms anymore? Now I know the end times are here.

I've never heard of the M1A in .300 WinMag. Is that new? It doesn't even show up on the website when I checked.

Just a bit off topic, but still 7.62 related, What have you heard about the Kel-Tec RFB? Looks plasticy to me but tacticool and many reviews are favorable.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports

The m14 is an old heavy antiquated design - if you really like nostalgia get a vintage coke sign for your garage - when it comes to weapons endurance and poitability are to more keen issues than telling your friends you got an m14 because it's trendy.

edit on 10-7-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

The M14/M1A is trendy because it is a proven rifle. You gotta love reliability.

Yes, it's heavy...but it is dependable and the parts and accessories are out there.

posted on Nov, 27 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The LWRC REPR is by far the best. LWRC makes some fantastic weapons.

IF you are interested, look into a .308 SCAR as well.

posted on Nov, 29 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ActaNonVerba
The LWRC REPR is by far the best. LWRC makes some fantastic weapons.

IF you are interested, look into a .308 SCAR as well.

I would have to disagree with ya. It is a middle to low level gun and has many issues. The scar is way overpriced for what you get and to tell you the truth I would not touch one with a 10 foot pole.

A really good .308 is a Knights SR-25---or a M1A. The new Sig .308 is very promising also.

posted on May, 14 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

I didnt realize that the SIG 716 Precisions (not to be confused with the "Patrol") were readily available yet (especially last Sept when you posted). They werent supposed to come out til this spring.

edit on 14-5-2013 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
People shouldn't get too hung up over the gas tube v piston debate for civilian use, especially in a .308.

The biggest complaint about the gas tube is the excessive fouling on rapid fire causing stoppages as well as some overheating on rapid. The tube on the .308 has a larger bore, needing much more fouling to cause problems. It is also unusual to fire a .308 on rapid for long periods, meaning the overheating isn't really a problem at all.

Put it like this - We (Brits) are using the 7.62mm LMT as a sharpshooter rifle at infantry section level in Afghanistan. It uses a gas tube. We often have to engage in close-range fire fights in very dusty conditions, expending lots of ammo quite quickly. The LMT works fine for us. If it can take this sort of abuse then I would hazard that it can take the majority of scenarios you could throw at it.

posted on May, 18 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Why is anything under 20" a waste? We're using the LMT with a 16" barrel and a x6 scope I the stan and are having successful engagements out to 800m plus. It's all about the shooter.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I have a Knights arms sr-15 and a Ruger 556 I love them both. In the .308 category my socom 2 get er done.

edit on 7-6-2013 by ronak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonXGrim

No it doesn't Care to show me a parts kit and WHERE I can get one?

I of course agree with your assessment on the rifle however.

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Antique

The M1918A1 Browning Automatic Rifle 30-06. A little heavy at about 19 pounds but a fine rifle for its time. Very solid.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join