It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best AR platform .308?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

The M-14 is a great weapon I must admit what kind of 1911 a colt?
2nd

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If it wasn't such a pain, I'd love to have an FN SCAR 17. I'd have to neuter it to make it NJ legal, tho.

My 2nd choice would be the SIG 716 Patrol. I think they make a NJ compliant version.

SIG716 Patrol
edit on 7/3/2012 by DiabolusFireDragon because: Aliens

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

I really like the magpul ACS that comes on this gun. It is great kit for a great price. I wonder who makes the BUIS for the SIG

edit on 3-7-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Look into the FAL platform as I think a few others noted.

I like them. Old design, but has stood the test of time fairly well.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

It is a great gun I would stick with DSA as the maker. Also this is a heavy gun just like the M1A.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
One last thing before I sign off to the OP. These makers I would consider the best the middle and the bottom.

Top----Knights arms,
Bravo company
Larue
Noveske
LMT

Middle---Ruger 556
Colt
Rock River
Daniel defense
SIG

Bottom---DPMS
S&W
Bushmaster
edit on 3-7-2012 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Here in order are your best 308 choices. To me buying any other 308 outside of these four would be fool hardy.
All are reliable as the day is long and will get the job done.

1) Springfield M1A
2) M14
3) FN SCAR
4) Colt AR-10

Sadly not one of these amazing guns is inn your list. So unless this is your second or third. 308 I'm afraid your headed for overpriced failure.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If you want an AR, get a 5.56. If you want a .308, get a good bolt action. if you insist on semi auto in .308 then you need an M14.

Truthfully, unless you are trained, you DO NOT need a semi .308. Everything after the first shot will be a miss.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel you need a .308?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by YachtDoc13

I have a few 5.56 ARs....and I don't agree with your thought that all but the first shot will be a miss. I just wanted something a little bigger to add to the collection. I will use it for hunting, and fun which is why I want to go with the .308. I have several bolt actions too.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Having a few AR-15(556, 223)s will not prepare you for an AR-10(.308, 762x51). It will knock you on your back side if you expect it to handle like it's lil brother.

What are you hunting?

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sorry, I wasn't comparing the 5.56 to the .308. I know what to expect with the .308. I will use it for deer, yotes, etc. It won't obviously be my main hunting rifle, but at least I will have the option.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Well, like I said. If you are not trained with one you will not handle it properly. If you have experience with one then you will understand what I am saying.

If you want a .308 for hunting and/or fun, by all means. Get one and enjoy it. Even though I feel a .308 is a bit large for a deer unless you are shooting from WAY out. But, then again, I don't know you or the deer you hunt.

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by YachtDoc13

Not WAY OUT, but probably on average of 350 yards or so. I will probably end up with the M14 as I am leaning that way (or both). I have a pretty good feel for the semi auto 308 too, but I still don't plan on a ton of rapid fire

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

At that range a .308 is a viable choice but I STRONGLY disagree with an AR style rifle of that caliber for those ranges. Trying to sight it in is like putting a liquid filled compass in a diesel. That is just my personal opinion from my personal experiences.

What works for me may not work for you and the other way around. Take time and get to know your tools and where they work best.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I have had numerous 308 AR's and deffinatley the POF recon is among the best for accuracy and reliability. Right now I think there are 3 good platforms - the R25 remmington which is an excellent hunting style ar with camo to make it look a little less threatening and its very light - the bushmaster moe in 308 and the adcor defense 308 both more tactical style rifles. Obviuosly the LMT and LWRC are also good rifles but too expensive to be more than show pieces for most people.

I would stick with these over the repr to allow yourself a comfortable buget for an aimpoint, plenty of ammo and training plus range days.

I would also add the pof or similar roller cam pin to prevent bolt lockup, and incresed power extractor and hammer spring by BCM and Wulf to ensure reliable extraction and ignition even with hard primer bulk mil ammo.

Also a locking stock like the CTR and single point magpul sling mount and ms2 or ms3 sling. Also a good brake I prefer PWS

If you don't mind a slight delay wolf is bringing cheap steel case 6.5 grendel to market now and that makes a supperior mixed use round imo

The m14 is an old heavy antiquated design - if you really like nostalgia get a vintage coke sign for your garage - when it comes to weapons endurance and poitability are to more keen issues than telling your friends you got an m14 because it's trendy.

edit on 10-7-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I've had my Armalite Ar-10 for about ten years. No problems with function and accuracy. As for my favorite .308, it is a tossup between my M1A and my DSA FAL. FAL wins on ergodynamics, but the M1A is match grade so it wins on accuracy. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I know, it's not AR platform, but my dream .308 would have to be a Springfield M1A SOCOM II. If I had an unlimited gun fund that would be in the safe and on the range every weekend.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
LMT or Patriots POF for the win in my opinion. Sig also makes a pretty good 716 (i think thats what they are calling it)

May .308 is a fun round. Set up some watermelons at 250 yards a few oranges at 100 yards and have at it!

Also the saiga, although not an AR platform has a sweet semi auto .308. Although I'd save your money get on the waiting list and grab the saiga semi 12 gauge if you were to go the saiga route.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I don't think you can go wrong with the POF in .308 if budget is not concern. As another poster said felt recoil is very light for caliber which I attribute to a very effective muzzle brake design and its extremely accurate even in shorter barrelled versions. Have had several .308's from HK-91 through AR-10's and the POF is hands down favorite.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

So a M1A is nothing but outdated.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I would add more but why.........

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join