Ancient tomb discovered in Peru

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ancient tomb discovered in Peru

A mass burial tomb has been uncovered in Peru, along with around 70 skeletons at the little-visited Pachacamac ruins

The recently discovered tomb is thought to date from AD 1000 and at 20-metres long is the largest to be found at Pachacamac. Even though the site is located just 20 miles south of Lima and is one of the most important pre-Hispanic sites in South America, it has far less visitors than other ancient ruins in the country.

Archaeologists from a Belgian University discovered around 70 skeletons, wearing false wooden heads, and a number of babies and infants. The tomb contained the remains of people of all ages and both sexes; experts are now hoping the discovery will help their understanding of the people who lived here.

Linda Harris, product manager for Explore – one of the few UK tour operators to visit the ruins – commented: “We are very excited to hear about the discovery of a tomb at Pachacamac, especially so as it’s the largest one yet to be found at the site.”

Just thought I'd pop in and post this story.

I'm always excited when they find an undisturbed burial site. Never know what we can learn from our ancestors. There isn't much more info that I can find at the moment. I'm looking for recent site pics. Maybe somebody here has a link to more info or pics?

As always, stay tuned.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I don't know what we will learn either,

I guess it all depends on what "they" will know in some time, and what we are allowed to know.

But ancient sites fascinate me nevertheless

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exciting news, I wish I could join them digging carefully, exploring gently, and discovering enthusiastically. Unfortunately, i'm a modern slave. And probably more dead inside than these skeletons I guess lol...

Anyway, thanks for sharing.
Interesting to see what they'll discover. looking forward for some updates!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Too bad they found it,
Now they are going to destroy it.
Somethings are better left alone.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

I understand what you are saying, but i'm a bit mixed about this concept. Perhaps after seeing some documentaries about ancient civilizations and artefacts, it seems that (at least for some ancient civilizations) they WANTED to be found. I mean, why these ancients have been carving so many things on stones all over the world? Why some artefacts from two completely different locations are embedded with similar sacred geometrical symbols or concepts? Why building pyramids everywhere?

We need to look at our past differently I think, the past is full of mysteries and we don't know which ancient discovery can lead us into a better understanding of what's going on here. For me, this discovery is very fascinating. Let nature be left alone and let the past be explored.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
reply to post by GmoS719

I understand what you are saying, but i'm a bit mixed about this concept. Perhaps after seeing some documentaries about ancient civilizations and artefacts, it seems that (at least for some ancient civilizations) they WANTED to be found. I mean, why these ancients have been carving so many things on stones all over the world? Why some artefacts from two completely different locations are embedded with similar sacred geometrical symbols or concepts? Why building pyramids everywhere?

We need to look at our past differently I think, the past is full of mysteries and we don't know which ancient discovery can lead us into a better understanding of what's going on here. For me, this discovery is very fascinating. Let nature be left alone and let the past be explored.

If they wanted the bodies to be found they would have displayed them instead of burying them.
That's like if a thousands years from now people started digging up graves at cemeteries.
I say just leave them alone.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Wooden "false heads"—including this one found in the new tomb—are trademarks of the Ychsma.

The five false heads in the newfound tomb didn't cover the faces of the deceased but were placed on or wedged into their curled-up mummies.

The artifacts "likely served to bestow an identity or persona to the [mummy] bundle and to aid in that individual's passage to the afterlife," University of Illinois anthropologist Matthew Piscitelli said via email.

This is interesting, and seems to be somewhat unique to this culture. Kind of like a visual introduction, and a passport into the afterlife.

Here's a PDF on this find with some awesome images and text. Source

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Not sure about the bodies wanted to be found or not, but still... 70km from there was the discovery of the skulls from Ica,

I agree with you on one hand, it does raise ethical questions but this could potentially be an important discovery just like the skulls from Ica, doesn't it worth at least a glimpse?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

nice how the national geographic article was made into a pdf

here is the original site as a quicker loading url

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Mass burial tombs are interesting for numerous reasons.

1. They act as lasting reminders of violence in that region.
2. They serve as a source for which DNA testing could be conducted to analyse diseases, food consumption etc.
3. They may host items of personal value buried along with the dead ie. jewellery, religious artifacts the list goes on.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Always interested in discoveries like this,hopefully soon more info will be released.
So much left buried in the world,i wonder what else is out there..

with each discovery we learn more about our past.

ATS at it's best

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A ring of baby bodies? (cringe)

First thought in the links is that it is a medical site. Baby bodies might be suggestive of this too. People who've had problems with having babies, or had been identified with a problem might have been sent here. Mid-wifery, abortion, or children born with problems.

It'd be interesting to find out the age of these babies. Are they all around the same age? Or are they from a variety of age groups?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
More pictures
edit on 29-6-2013 by Guadeloupe because: (no reason given)

For ease of access - My Flicker
===============================================================================

My apologies..........But please allow me to go a little OT on this?

I have this image I would like to ID - I thought it could be part of a series depicting Muhammad preparing for his journey to heaven - tempera on mica.

Is there an expert here who can help me?
edit on 29-6-2013 by Guadeloupe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join

ATS Live Reality Remix is on-air in 19 minutes.
ATS Live Radio Presents - Reality Remix Live SE6 EP6

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def