It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey scrambles F-16 jets on Syria border

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Turkey has scrambled six F-16 fighters jets near its border with Syria after Syrian helicopters came close to the border, the country's army says.

Six jets were sent to the area in response to three such incidents on Saturday, the statement said. There was no border violation, the Reuters news agency quoted the statement saying.

Last month, Syrian forces shot down a Turkish jet in the border area.

The incident further strained already tense relations between former allies.

Turkey has strongly criticised Syria's response to the 16-month anti-government uprising, which has seen more than 30,000 Syrian refugees enter Turkey.

On Friday, Turkey said it had begun deploying rocket launchers and anti-aircraft guns along the border in response to the downing of its F-4 Phantom jet on 22 June

Turkey Scrambles Jets

This is just another move that is bringing us closer to WWIII. It seems to me that the MSM is definately trying to get the people in NATO countries on the side of TPTB who will undoubtedly invade Syria, and that will most likely lead to an invasion of Iran.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I just read this as well, Turkey is not playing around since one of their jets got shot down. It is only a matter of time until the shoot down a syrian chopper/jet, and syria responds with mortars ect. That is all Turkey will need to try to establish a "buffer zone" that they have talked about in the past. After that, NATO may join or let turkey and syria go at it alone (they are more than capable of handling themselves). Of course, we have no idea when this will happen, but thanks for the post.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Indeed, Turkey is waiting for an 'Accident', retaliation in hopes of baiting Syria once more,

we expected this,

though i don't believe the US want to commit a multitude of Military presence within Syria as they are saving that for Iran,

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I really want to post this as a thread but I'm only on now my 12th post :/

I've just seen 4 V-22 Ospreys flying at about 200ft above my house (in fact my house was shaking like mad) in Woodham, Surrey. They where turning from North-West to West. As far as I know we don't use the V-22 in the UK, so its safe to say it's very unusual. West from here would be Farnborough and Deepcut Army Barracks.

So I'm pretty sure if they where US 'copters, TS is about to HTF somewhere, probably Syria.
edit on 1-7-2012 by nostromo85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nostromo85

I've just seen 4 V-22 Ospreys flying at about 200ft above my house (in fact my house was shaking like mad) in Woodham, Surrey. They where turning from North-West to West. As far as I know we don't use the V-22 in the UK, so its safe to say it's very unusual. West from here would be Farnborough and Deepcut Army Barracks.

So I'm pretty sure if they where US 'copters, TS is about to HTF somewhere, probably Syria.

Interesting, don't see those too often.

The design originates from the Nazi-era design, the Fa 269 which attempted to utilize 'tilt-rotor' capability.
Took a long time to get the concept working smoothly...

Anyhow, I always seem to find the origins of our modern aircraft in the old WW2 German designs.

Speaking of current Syrian events and how today relates to WW2, it should be noted that the "Syria-Lebanon Campaign" (wiki)
is very uncommon information.

Basically the Allies invaded Vichy-France controlled Syria and fought against the French. Fighting was said to be pretty hard core.

The Syria–Lebanon campaign, also known as Operation Exporter,[12] was the Allied invasion of Vichy French-controlled Syria and Lebanon in June–July 1941, during World War II. Time Magazine referred to the fighting as a "mixed show"[13] while it was taking place and the campaign remains little known, even in the countries that took part. There is evidence that Allied censors acted to suppress or reduce reportage of the fierce fighting.[14] Senior Allied commanders and/or politicians believed that knowledge of fighting against French forces could have a negative effect on public opinion in Allied countries.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

They're displaying at the Farnborough airshow soon, might be for that.

Or for the Air Tattoo this coming weekend. Or Waddington this weekend.
edit on 1-7-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Could be Farnborough, 2 weeks away and is west from here, but 4 of them seems a bit odd to me, as they're not the most agile looking things, unless they're doing some logistics from Heathrow or something.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I don't understand how something that happened yesterday, is being posted just today by all major news networks

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Assad is poking the wrong country. Turkey has the strongest military in the ME and they aren't afraid to use it. They don't need NATO help, just NATO OK.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Assad is poking the wrong country. Turkey has the strongest military in the ME and they aren't afraid to use it. They don't need NATO help, just NATO OK.

How is Assad poking? Because they shot down an intruding jet?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

Could be Farnborough, 2 weeks away and is west from here, but 4 of them seems a bit odd to me, as they're not the most agile looking things, unless they're doing some logistics from Heathrow or something.

RIAT is this weekend? They're displaying there too.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by khimbar

RIAT is this weekend? They're displaying there too.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

I guess that depends on who you believe. Syria claims the jet was over their territorial water and Turkey claims it was in international air space. Seeing as both Turkish and Syrian boats were searching for the airmen I tend to believe Turkey.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

I guess that depends on who you believe. Syria claims the jet was over their territorial water and Turkey claims it was in international air space. Seeing as both Turkish and Syrian boats were searching for the airmen I tend to believe Turkey.

U.S. Intelligence, Contradicting Ankara, Indicates Aircraft Was Shot Down by Syria in Its Own Airspace, Officials Say

Wall Street Journal

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

US Intelligence? The same ones that said Saddam had WMD's?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Hellas

US Intelligence? The same ones that said Saddam had WMD's?

Now c'mon.. I'm just posting a link to show you my view. Of course we just have no way of really knowing what happened there.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Here you go, courtesy of Twitter.

Welcome to Farnborough! All 4 @USMC MV-22 Osprey have landed at 16:15 ‪#UK‬ time. They will fly at ‪#RIAT‬ and ‪#FIA12‬ pic.twitter.com/YqYaKFpS

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Thanks a lot! Was quite the sight as they flew over, I wish I got a picture of them but there's a lot of trees in the way so they where gone before I had the chance.

That's the problem of having a big airshow right next to an army barracks, leaves a few of us who forget about it being on a bit confused!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Sooner or later a real nasty flashpoint will occur tipping us closer to all out war in the region and dragging the rest of us in. Hoped it would all simmer down but this looks less likely as 2012 rolls along.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

well,just to point out they are quite intelligent.
they manged to fool us into believing it, which was their intention!

BOT!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join