It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep sea creatures, new amazing photos!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
As a continuation of Oozii's great thread "The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss" in August 2010, here's an update with some beautiful photos from deep sea creatures taken from:

David Wrobel's deep sea creatures gallery
Steven Haddock bioluminescent creatures gallery
MBARI main site

Most of these photos were taken from 2011 to June 2012 and some other are older (especially those from the bioluminescent site).
It is remarkable that in the beginning of the 21st century only 5% of the deep sea has been explored, makes wonder how many incredible unknown species remains to be discovered!

The fish of the deep-sea are among the strangest and most elusive creatures on Earth. In this deep unknown lie many unusual creatures that have yet to be studied.
Since many of these fish live in regions where there is no natural illumination, they cannot rely solely on their eyesight for locating prey and mates and avoiding predators; deep-sea fish have evolved appropriately to the extreme sub-photic region in which they live.

Many of these organisms are blind and rely on their other senses, such as sensitivities to changes in local pressure and smell, to catch their food and avoid being caught.
Those that aren’t blind have large and sensitive eyes that can utilize bioluminescent light (discussed below). These eyes can be as much as 100 times more sensitive to light than human eyes. Also, to avoid predation, many species are dark to blend in with their environment

Read more here

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Speechless!
With some creatures, you wonder how they get their food/energy to live.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
These creatures are amazing. I feel sorry for the piglet squid though, it looks so depressed.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
These creatures are amazing. I feel sorry for the piglet squid though, it looks so depressed.
Its his deep sea environment. He is under a lot of pressure

S&F great pics

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Amazing how they can stand those pressures.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Awesome pics!

Somehow i feel the first multicelled organisms we will find on other planets will be very much like these awesome creatures.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
That is truly amazing.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

looks like hes wearing lil boots

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Yes, the "predatory tunicate", for example, is litterarly a trap for tiny animals to drift or swim into its hood-shaped mouth. Looking something like a cross between a jellyfish and a Venus Flytrap, its mouthlike hood is quick to close when a small animal drifts inside. Once the predatory tunicate catches a meal, it keeps its trap shut until it is ready to eat again. They mostly eat zooplankton and tiny animals.

edit on 1-7-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes

The should have named it the Eeyore squid.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
And people don't believe in 'alien life forms'!!

They just need to spend a little time looking at these amazing photos!!

edit on 7/1/12 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Every thing in life is map out threw the mathematics of phi. Some are more obvias and others are vague. These pictures are a perfect example of sacred geometry. I especially like the blue creature speared creature, it looks like metatrons cube.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
This is awesome. Blue Planet 2.0. Crazy there prolly potentially millions of life out there undiscovered.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevenaugust
reply to post by verschickter

Amazing just how much that things mouth looks like a human, its 'lips' are almost spot on and that weird sh_it hanging down looks kinda like teeth

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

''Cap'in Sir! We are under heavy attack!! Orders?''

'Fook that!! I'm outta here! They're not paying me enough for this s**t.''

It's a different universe down there.
The dark side have the upper hand (or tentacle or other appendage) here.
edit on 1-7-2012 by OutonaLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris

looks like hes wearing lil boots

Haha you saw that too.That's hilarious he's on his way to work

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Who the heck comes up with these names?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It is interesting that people's stories of aliens are nearly always humanoid. When you see the types of animals like these it should be pretty clear that the odds of an alien being a similarly shaped to humans are pretty low.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I wish I were bio-luminescent

Deep sea animals are so pretty in a weird way.

edit on 2-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
No need to travel light years to see alien life.. Those images are amazing..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join