It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is time for the US to grant the Japanese people shelter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
If I was involved in congress or the executive administration, I would seriously consider this.

Consider:

-The Japanese themselves, and Tepco have admitted that if reactor 4 progresses any further, most of the country may be rendered uninhabitable.

-Tokyo (25% of the Japanese population) is known to be among those regions rendered potentially uninhabitable, along with several other major metropolitan areas).

-Russia has offered the Japanese shelter (Read: Putin wants productive citizens)

-The Japanese people have one of the lowest incarceration rates, and exceptionally low violent crime rates. They are VERY WELL BEHAVED.

-The Japanese are among the very best educated in the entire industrial world

-The Japanese as a whole decline in population over time, so they do not add to uncontrollable population expansion.

-After the US, the Japanese are the most productive citizens, roughly equivalent to the Germans.

-The Japanese produce mountains of art and music if left to their own devices

What follows is obvious. If the US was smart, it would set aside parts of the Dakotas, Montana, Washington State, and Oregon, which contain vast tracts of empty land, and gift them to the Japanese for them to build new cities, in exchange for the integration of the Japanese people into the US. These areas contain environments among them quite similar to Japan, especially on the West coast. The Japanese have shown they can build cities from literally nothing in a decade, after god-knows how many earthquakes and tsunamis have decimated them year in and year out. The Japanese would be happy to learn to speak Engrish without even being asked. There is enough food in the US to feed a very large chunk of the world, if it is used properly, so another 130 million can easily be supported. Unemployment would not be an issue either, because the Japanese would make jobs merely by virtue of their skills and existing institutions, which would simply need a new infrastructure. The Japanese would not have to worry about their stuff getting frazzled like every five years by earthquakes, tsunamis, or godzilla.

Everyone wins- the Japanese have a safe new, non-radioactive home, they can still retain their own culture, they are now EMBEDDED in their largest consumer base, lol, and they are no longer constrained by limited space or lack of arable farmland. The US gains some of the best-educated and overproductive citizens in the world, who are super well behaved. They can push our national academic standards way up again. They can make our iJunk, and teach at our universities, and show us how to make food that doesn't make us fat. If the Chinese can build empty cities in the middle of nowhere for no one, we can build a second Japan in the US.

In an oversimplified manner of speaking, the Japanese attacked the US because they wanted to be like the US. They are a gifted people, but highly constrained by their lack of space or resources, and constantly being bookended by China and Russia, and thus unable to expand. The Japanese are FRUSTRATED by this. It shows in their culture (what do you think all those giant fighting robot shows are about?) Why not give them the chance to transcend their geographic limitations, and merge with what they envied in the past?

I am less than half-joking.This really is a good solution, if you can look past the hyperbole and logistical challenges.

The Russians WANT the Japanese.

Why don't we?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
What makes you think that the US will be safe?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Safer than a radioactive wasteland, at least for the time being.

2013-2014, it is anyone's guess what the US will be like, but anything is better than Chernobyl times 100, and no place to run.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I think you are jumping the Gun here. There is still time to properly contain the Radiation if the Japanese Government would take action rather than endlessly debate. There are 3 viable plans and the Japanese Government have wasted MONTHS choosing which one to use. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
What makes you think they would want to come to america?the land of the free exists nowhere,especially not the u.s.maybe you could set up those nice camps for them like you did during world war two.why would a proud people want to integrate themselves into a mongrel race?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Im pretty sure the majority of japanese would rather die than go to the US, they have to much pride, honor and tradition.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Possibly, but the scope of this catastrophe has been kept well hidden, and the Japanese are handling the disaster with curiously uncharacteristic lack of care or poise. There are multiple ongoing meltdowns as we speak, and nothing is being done for the time being.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by joeraynor

So your saying lets move an entire country with a population of 125 million people and place them in the US, and say forget your old ancient culture, you must integrate with US culture.

How about this, why doesn't Australia (my country) give the Japanese the north West of WA, about the size of Texas which is completely empty land. The Japanese can have it all, and they can have their own country there.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I think granting some japanese access to the nation would be great.

It would pay off a few of the sins we have made agaist them. The Boshin civil war was was the result of the usa forcing them to open their doors to trade. The new ideas almost shattered them.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by joeraynor

I agree but it is containable...the Japanese Government must tell one large population area to evacuate for the best of the three plans to work. This is Politics at it's worse. Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
What makes you think they would want to come to america?the land of the free exists nowhere,especially not the u.s.maybe you could set up those nice camps for them like you did during world war two.why would a proud people want to integrate themselves into a mongrel race?

Your very Mouthy and insulting to a Country that saved YOUR ASS more than once!
Split Infinity

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Perhaps they would not want to come, that is true.

But I am looking at this from the point of view of the US- it would be beneficial to the US in the long run if the logistics could be solved.

And it is true there were interrment camps during WW2, but also consider how the Japanese treated alied POWs... it was also pretty ugly.

It would not need to be all of the Japanese- they could of course go to Australia and other parts of the other Oceanic islands.

And they would not even need to abandon their culture, only their homeland. I am sure they would be granted a fair amount of autonomy under this arangement to self-regulate their people. It would not be like they would be forced to shop at Walmart and eat at KFC... they could do their own thing in fair isolation.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
The problem has international consequences. The effort to control and dismantle the power plants should be an international one. Not a secret to be kept by Tepco and the Japanese politicians.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   

It is time for the US to grant the Japanese people shelter

Why is it always America? Why not other countries? There are other countries in their area that can take them. And who says the Japanese people want to leave? Who says they have to ? That .. and no one is stopping them from applying to come in ... Japan is free and so is the USA.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

I agree Colin.

But that is modern history- the tail wags the entire dog now. We allow corporations to take for themselves vast amounts of public resources, and hold us hostage by controlling commodities and servicess we need. Then the state bows down to the corporations, and allows them free-reign.

We need to understand that they are capitalist entities which are governed by self-profit.

We cannot continue to allow groups which prize their own self-interest above even the safety of the people they serve to appropriate our resources for themselves and then hold us hostage when they screw up.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by BulletShogun
I think granting some japanese access to the nation would be great.
It would pay off a few of the sins we have made agaist them.

Oh please! :shk:

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

How EXACTLY did Japan save America's ass and how did they do it 'more than once'.
Good luck with that.

I lived in Japan for three years. I'm pretty up on the history between Japan and the rest of the world.
Go ahead ... 'educate' us all.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Originally posted by glen200376

Split Infinity

Agreed

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

No one is making them do anything, and this is on the condition that the Japanese homeland is not safe to support its full population any longer.

I have said that large numbers of them can live in Australia easily. And it is not JUST the US that should grant them shelter, but that the US should place itself among those putting the offer on the table.

And why the US?

I don't believe in that "best country on Earth" garbage, but the US still has plenty to offer the wold, and is in better shape than people think.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I can't say for sure, but I think the "mouthy" comment, since it was directed at Glen, may have been intended for Scottland, and thus the UK, rather than Japan.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join