Record Radiation Levels Detected at Fukushima

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Record Radiation Levels Detected at Fukushima on June 27, 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tokyo Electric Power Co., the operator of Japan’s crippled Fukushima nuclear plant, said Wednesday record amounts of radiation had been detected in the basement of reactor No. 1, further hampering clean-up operations.

Tepco took samples from the basement after lowering a camera and surveying instruments through a drain hole in the basement ceiling.

Radiation levels above radioactive water in the basement reached up to 10,300 millisievert an hour, a dose that will kill humans within a short time after making them sick within minutes.

what safety?

The annual allowed dose for workers at the stricken site is reached in only 20 seconds.

Here in the USA a high radiation area is 100 millirem-per-hour and if you convert the rate of 10,300 millisieverts-per-hour is equal to 1,030,000 millirem-per-hour or 1030 rads!

After working in a nuclear power plant of the same design I have a unique insight to this issue. If these levels were at a US plant nukepower would be dead. A friend of mine who worked at Three MIle Island told me on the way to work at Peach Bottom Nuclear Power plant that one room the ran past th opening because the room was 600 rads. These levels are almost double that!

edit on 1-7-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content
edit on 1-7-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
It's so important that we keep a close eye on this as MSN are keeping very close lipped on the whole issue. I personally believe we're all eating and drinking these dangerous toxins from Japan.

Keep up the good work like many others are trying however, as to the response here on ATS - I think folks just feel (rightly so) there just isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

It will get us all in the end!

S&F

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Hell if that is what they are reporting imagine what the real figure is ?
I think Japan is in deep dodo

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Hey everyone.... Fukushima is ongoing and in a precarious state. If you want REAL information, check out enenews.com or meltdowndanger.com I apologize to the Powers That Be here on ATS if this is against the rules, by mentioning these sites, but to me, this is a danger of global proportions and is far more important than some rules. NASA says we get showered with dust from Alaska to Florida by China dust storms. Japan is closer. What do you think is happening here then? We are receiving radioactive particles.
The US govt has shut down sensors on the West Coast because they don't want to alarm people. But we SHOULD be alarmed! There are high definition pictures of the buildings showing a great deal of damage, but when I contacted my state's two Senators and one Congresswoman, they said there was minimal damage. I think their staffers were supplied by lobbyists!!!!!!!! And of course, they receive money from the nuclear power corporations.
The news is not getting out via mainstream media when this is a crucial event going on. A decent sized earthquake can send the rods into meltdown and they are already poisoning the ocean as is. We need to become better informed through a bit of research on our own so we can help spread the word an I suggest you email your own Senators and Congresspeople to let them know your concerns and that we want our governments to help out in Japan, as their face-saving culture means they are embarrassed to ask for help. But we are helping ourselves by helping them.
If the rods meltdown, many scientists and physicists say this could be an extinction level event. Forget the Nibiru stuff, forget the Mayan stuff, this is Very Real without question! If we act like ostriches with our heads in the sand about this matter, we may all die. Look at your kids, look at your friends, and if you care about their future or your own, please be active and spread the word!!!!
edit on 1-7-2012 by jaxnmarko because: grammar and capitalization

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

"""" If these levels were at a US plant nukepower would be dead. """"

We have had radioactive releases and accidents that you know nothing of. Read the NRC Event Reports every month. There are some publicized radioactive releases from Emergency Shutdowns and other incidents.

When the nuclear warhead fitted missile caught fire on the East Coast years ago the U.S. Army packed up and headed WEST. They never told anyone. It wasn't declassified until decades later.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Unfortunately radioactivity will be the lasting legacy of this generation. And it looks like the early reports of ongoing increasing levels at the plants are still ringing true. As the tons of melted fuel slowly eat their way into the environment, we can expect that to continue. An ever growing circle of lethal dose has to be the result.

Its sorta like setting off a big firework cone. It grows and grows, making big clouds of smoke that drift down wind and settle out. Now imagine a multi ton firework made of radioactive molten lava, that doesn't cool at the end of the burning, but keeps emitting smoke for ever. Invisible smoke.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
GAAAAAH! %$^&* Wheres the *&$^& U N now?
Wheres the Asia pacific co opweration?
they have abandoned Japan.....they have eft her to her own devices, and pease ock up on our way out hey?
There will be a lot of sick Japanese in the comming ears as the cancers begin to develope in their lungs and thyroids and livers and kidneys etc.....Over here we will also see the spike....
But till the goverments of the world get together and DO something!.........Japan cant hande it alone......
we will see the poison keep spreading and the death toll will mount week by week....

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

"""" If these levels were at a US plant nukepower would be dead. """"

We have had radioactive releases and accidents that you know nothing of. Read the NRC Event Reports every month. There are some publicized radioactive releases from Emergency Shutdowns and other incidents.

When the nuclear warhead fitted missile caught fire on the East Coast years ago the U.S. Army packed up and headed WEST. They never told anyone. It wasn't declassified until decades later.

Yes we have minor accidents and incidents but nothing compared to the levels we are see at Fukushima. If word got out here in the US that one of our plants had this type of contamination from a core meltdown... nuke power would be dead......

If Three Mile Island would have breached the core vessel the resulting cloud of radioactive particles would have contaminated farm land from Pennsylvania to Maine. Then the water in The Susquehanna would have been contaminated and the Chesapeake Bay would be in danger.....

That is how serious the problem is in Japan.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Sounds like "all is not well" at Fukushima, once again.

Do you have any sources to back this story up, fnpmitchreturns?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whipfather
Sounds like "all is not well" at Fukushima, once again.

Do you have any sources to back this story up, fnpmitchreturns?

Once again? Really? It has never stopped. If you want to try and start 'debunking' this whole story, start with each post on Fukushima Diary since 311. Can't wait.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The Davis-Besse plant could have irradiated a large portion of ohio back in 2002 as well. That borated water leak ate through six inches of carbon steel, leaving only 3/8" of stainless steel to hold back 2500 psi of coolant.

I have to say it's quite scary to think this fiasco in japan could get a lot worse.

top topics

join