It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apparent meteor strike at sunset Perth, W.A. - pic at link with very unusual flame-like tail

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

Meteor trails do not last for twenty minutes.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Could be, though the aircraft bends north on it's flightpath and that's not the same line as the "Meteor dust tail" follows in the above pic.

So either the plane was flying way off course, or it was simply a meteor impact in the ocean.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudbreak
Apologies first up as I can't seem to upload images, but the link has a good pic to what looks like a very unusual meteor strike.

Aircraft contrail.
The same thing that caused a big "missile" scare in california a year or two back.

In fact, if the exact time and place can be determined, I can even give you the exact aircraft that caused it.

edit on 1-7-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It looks nothing like a meteor and everything like the contrail of a jet flying from beyond the horizon.

edit on 7/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Your probably right, but, let me try and dig up some info.

Ahh, this wiki here

2008 TC3 (Catalina Sky Survey temporary designation 8TA9D69) was a meteoroid 2 to 5 meters (7 to 16 ft) in diameter and weighting 80 tonnes,[1] that entered Earth's atmosphere on October 7, 2008, at 02:46 UTC (05:46 local time).[2] The meteoroid was notable as the first such body to be observed and tracked prior to reaching Earth.[3] It exploded an estimated 37 kilometers (23 mi) above the Nubian Desert in Sudan. A search of the impact zone that began on December 2008 turned up 10.5 kilograms (23 lb) of meteorites in 600 fragments, which are surviving pieces of the meteoroid. The meteorites are of a rare type known as ureilites, which contain, among other minerals, nanodiamonds.[4][5][6]

Now this was a cool event that was detected the day before it came (I bet they quietly pooped themselves).

What was interesting is the bolide it created was described as this

Very few people inhabit the remote area of the Nubian Desert where the explosion took place; The Times, however, reported that the meteoroid's "light was so intense that it lit up the sky like a full moon and an airliner 1,400 km (870 mi) away reported seeing the bright flash."

Now, I saw a photo of the sky after this event, and I'm sure it showed something similar to the pic in the op, although not quite at horizon level.
Only problem is, I can't find that pic...yet!

EDIT:
Ahhh, got the pic (you might need to scroll right.

Picture SOURCE and further info from Universetoday

A month after asteroid 2008 TC3 hit the Earth’s atmosphere, the first ground-based image of the event has surfaced on the Internet. Admittedly, it’s not the fireball everyone has been waiting to see, but it is visual evidence that something hit us above Sudan on October 7th. The image above was taken from a frame of video that was being recorded by Mr. Mohamed Elhassan Abdelatif Mahir in the dawn following the asteroid impact with the atmosphere. The smoky feature is the remnant of the fireball as the 3 meter-wide asteroid blasted through the upper atmosphere, eventually exploding. The long-lasting persistent train is seen hanging in the air, high altitude winds causing it to twist in the morning sunlight.

edit on 1-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
We are told the contrail was seen at about 5:45 pm. Thats 09:45 UTC.
So... if it was a plane, the contrail would have taken a few minutes before that to have been made.

This is the sky at 5:30pm, according to the replay function at flightradar.com...

UAE420
Emirates flight from Dubai.

Seen from Perth, it would follow the trajectory seen in the news article. Far away at lower right, to higher at upper left.

Edit - for anyone in Perth, this same flight is now on its way in again today, according to the Perth Airport webpage. Keep an eye on whether it is running early or late, and go see what it looks like today.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Qumulys

That is a great shot. I'd like to see the video it came from.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Looks like a contrail of a plane to me. I've seen that sort of sight a thousand times. Based on the article it doesn't sound like anyone saw the thing streaking across the sky, just the trail it left.

Meteors can leave trails in the sky, but every picture I've ever seen of one didn't look so regular and started to break up pretty quick. They tend to look like this real fast:

files.abovetopsecret.com...

www.tvcomm.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Ok, this was just posted on youtube...the guy speaking mentions 'chemtrail', but look at the trajectory - too obtuse for a contrail/flight path off Perth I reckon. Don't know though.

edit: The chemtrail he is talking about I think, is there is a plane leaving a contrail in the video above this flame thing into the ocean. So...here you can see a real contrail, and the unusual thing going down into the ocean beneath it.

edit on 1-7-2012 by cloudbreak because: to embed video

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I stand corrected. Too bad it's something as mundane as a plane

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Apologies first up as I can't seem to upload images, but the link has a good pic to what looks like a very unusual meteor strike.

Aircraft contrail.
The same thing that caused a big "missile" scare in california a year or two back.

In fact, if the exact time and place can be determined, I can even give you the exact aircraft that caused it.

Probably about 5:45 roughly (June 30)...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Can you retrieve the altitude profile for that flight?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Bloody nora, you've got full bookmarks I know it!!

That first video is Melbourne - they're all weird over there.. *waves at melbourne, hows the rain?*

Now I do get what you're saying Phage. Maybe it's just because it's my city that I want it to be more, and from the image and description it is not the first thing I'd jump to - contrails. The threads you provided to look similar, but are only evidence of water vapour produced by the craft. What is evident to me is that you cannot always say because one thing creates an effect, nothing else might.

I'll have to wait for more info on the actual story, but I just don't see this as a contrail, even with comparative footage.

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong however, but not by comparison to things that looks remotely similar, and we are a beach city. You'd expect that people who frequent the beach most of their entire lives, would have seen this before it it is indeed a contrail. They claim it was unique, and that I accept.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Damnit! Me too! For the life of me, I cant find it now

I've searched all my hdd's under Horizon and BBC etc, but cant get my finger on it now. I do remember though that it was covered towards the end of the doco. I'll keep looking because I would love to see it again. It actually goes through them detecting it, and behind the scenes as to what the protocols were etc and interviewing the people involved. You will enjoy it I'm sure. I'll update when I find it again. (might be watching a movie with my daughter first, she comes first as you can understand
but after that I'll get back on it, few hours maybe.

EDIT
I believe it was from Horizon - Asteroids, the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Although I could only find this bit from youtube, you'd have to track down the episode yourself for full viewing. (it was near the end)

edit on 1-7-2012 by Qumulys because: added youtube clip

EDIT 2
Nevermind, it wasn't from that one.. damn! *pulls out hair*

EDIT 3
OK, if I don't get off the computer, my daughter will kill me. So sorry I forgot the doco it was in, but this link is an awesome PDF on the whole event, very detailed!!
2008 TC3 pdf, even contains flight crews covering it.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

The ones I stated. The fact that the people here who live on the beach and spend their entire lives there would know better.

Am I allowed to have a personal opinion or do I have to jump on the contrail bandwagon just to fit in?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by alfa1

Can you retrieve the altitude profile for that flight?

It is descending for a landing into Perth, so that may explain why the contrail is only seen out over the ocean but stops as it gets closer to land.

09:21UTC, 5:21pm local = 28000 feet
09:25UTC, 5:25pm local = 21050 feet
09:27UTC, 5:27pm local = 18250 feet
09:29UTC, 5:29pm local = 14625 feet
09:31UTC, 5:31pm local = 11900 feet
09:33UTC, 5:33pm local = 9700 feet
09:35UTC, 5:35pm local = 7300 feet
At this point it really isnt too far off the coast, and closer to Perth than Rottnest island, so if this the aircraft in question then the contrail was made in the minutes before this time.

Again, for anyone in Perth, this same flight seems to be a daily one and depending on the weather, it will be worth going outside to take a look as it comes in... an hour and a half from now.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

mainidh - check out the video someone recently posted. It would be highly unlikely if it were a contrail.

You can see one real contrail going at right angles to the thing going into the ocean (which isn't dispersed like the thing going into the ocean).

Well...I'm sure people in Perth will get to the bottom of it, but the chances of it being a contrail now just dropped significantly looking at this vid.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

reply to post by mainidh

Yeah - but to you being from Perth, doesn't it seem a highly unusual tranjectory in any event to be a contrail? Planes typically go north or northwest, not down over the horizon like that into the nothingness of the southern Indian ocean.

If it were a contrail, it would then be past the horizon (which is what..26km away at a guess? giving room for height of a plane) - so why would it be so wide and thick, with so much vapour, at suchh a point in the h just horizon?

A contrail would seem the most logical, but it doesn't add up in my mind (not being an expert, admittedly)
edit on 1-7-2012 by cloudbreak because: (no reason given)

To be honest, I am not familiar with flight paths. It would seem that for it's position over Cotts beach, if it were a plane, it would not be heading to or from Perth.

I too am not sold that it is a contrail. I've seen mant contrails and am the first to point out these things when people come up with chemtrail related posts.

It just doesn't seem believable that people who know the sky where they live to all get it wrong.

But having said that, it's also not out of my consideration... Bit like not knowing how to start a bbq. at least for someone who spends their life eating out doors.

we shall see, I'm keeping an eye on the report so hopefully it doesn't disappear...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Are you suggesting the thing going into the ocean is fro a 'descending' flight going INTO Perth?

Sorry, but that is absurd (no offence). Have a look at the video and picture. It is so far offshore and clearly if anything it is leaving away from the coast.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
We are told the contrail was seen at about 5:45 pm. Thats 09:45 UTC.
So... if it was a plane, the contrail would have taken a few minutes before that to have been made.

This is the sky at 5:30pm, according to the replay function at flightradar.com...

UAE420
Emirates flight from Dubai.

Seen from Perth, it would follow the trajectory seen in the news article. Far away at lower right, to higher at upper left.

Edit - for anyone in Perth, this same flight is now on its way in again today, according to the Perth Airport webpage. Keep an eye on whether it is running early or late, and go see what it looks like today.

Good post - this makes it more reasonable to be a contrail.

Makes me glad to be on a site where people such as yourself can be so quick with solid info.

cheers!!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudbreak

No. There is one contrail. The horizontal clouds are low level clouds. There would be no air traffic flying north-south west of Perth to produce a contrail.

The narrator is talking about the "chemtrail" going "straight into the sea". His written description:

thought it was a phat chemtrail but it was the remains of a meteor trail.

edit on 7/1/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join