It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Is Much Smaller And A Lot Closer Than We Are Misled To Believe

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by SplitInfinity

The only way that the overwhelmingly vast majority of us can try and prove that the sun is where and what we are taught to think,is for us to believe and repeat what tptb tell us and they lie to us all the time about so many things and i dont trust them at all...

edit on 1-7-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

the typical paranoid's delusion, that there is some single "They" whom you shouldn't believe, so one can throw out anything which was a product of thousands of years of human civilization and replace it by ones own ignorant prejudices.

In reality the distance to the Sun was nailed down in the 1700's and 1800's by astronomical observations and lots of precise calculations. In fact the recent "Transit of Venus" (which occurs rarely) was in previous centuries a major key to obtain absolute distances.

Quantities like relative distances, such as "The Sun is X times the distance of the Moon, or Y times the diameter of the Earth" were derived substantially earlier, perhaps even by the ancient Greeks.

Any mythical "They" dont' give a crap about how far the Sun is, except scientists who have no reason to lie and would be exposed immediately if they did.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
How the hell can you have nine pages on this totally ridiculous concept? Oh wait, it's another Blocula thread. 100% rubbish therefore. Yawn.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy

reply to post by tamusan

Why do we only see a few hundred stars at night? why isnt the night sky filled with millions of stars? why isnt the sky at night aglow like day?

The night sky is not filled with millions of stars. It is filled with billions of them. Human eyes just can't see all of them. The fusion reaction inside stars produced the photons which we detect as light by a change in the energy state of the electrons in the protium fueling the fusion reaction, with the frequency of the photon dependent on the energy state change.

This is not quite correct, but overall pretty close. Technically the photons that we see (in visible light) aren't emitted from the core which is where the nuclear reactions take place. The nuclear reactions create very fast moving nuclei, neutrons and gamma rays which then hit intermediate layers of the star, heating everything up.

We see the 'photosphere' which is the hot surface (an outer shell) from the star. It is bright simply because it is hot---jiggling atoms with their electrons excite electromagnetic radiation in incoherent blackbody, not really related to the emission/absorption line of atoms. (However those effects are in fact visible in stellar spectra and tell us alot about the compositioin and physics of stars).

The detection of neutrinos (which are very hard to catch) from the Sun was a big deal because they do come directly from the nuclear reactions at the core.

If, hypothetically, the Sun's nuclear reactions stopped, it would take a few million years for the rest of the Sun to cool down significantly to dim its brightness (just because it's so big it takes a while for the energy to radiate away).

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

reply to post by InLightTend

With many billions of stars of all sizes and ages all around us all the time,only a few thousand of them have light thats able to reach us?

no way...

the night sky should be illuminated more or less like day,aglow with the light from billions of stars,but its not,it never is...

so either stars have the amazing abilty to decide amongst themselves which ones light will reach us and which ones light will not...

or its all a fantastic holographic illusion...

The Holographic Universe Michael Talbot > quanta-gaia.org...

A) Buy a pair of binoculars, or even a small telescope, go out into the country and then look straight up.
B) Buy a book about basic schoolyard physics, the stuff that they teach 10-year olds.
C) Come back here and apologise.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

"So chemists have sought the true, or the real, and have always failed in their endeavors, because of the outside relations of chemical phenomena: have failed in the sense that never has a chemical law, without exceptions, been discovered: because chemistry is continuous with astronomy, physics, biology -- For instance, if the sun should greatly change its distance from this earth, and if human life could survive, the familiar chemic formulas would no longer work out: a new science of chemistry would have to be learned." --The Book of the Damned

"Human knowledge -- and its fakes and freaks. An astronomer, insulated by his vanity, seemingly remote from the flops and frailties of everybody else, may not be so far away as he thinks he is. He calculates where an undiscovered planet will be seen. "Lo!" -- as the astronomers like to say -- it is seen. But, for some very distressing, if not delightful, particulars, see, later, an account of Lowell's planet. Stars are said to be trillions of miles away, but there are many alleged remotenesses that are not so far away as they are said to be." -Lo!

quotes from Charles Hoy Fort

edit on 1-7-2012 by wasaka because: added quote from Lo!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I havent read any of the replies yet and I hope that this has already been said... You show a clear lack of understanding.

Go outside on a clear day and try looking at the sun,its so blindingly bright we cant even look at it with our eyes and theres just no way that i'm going to believe its really 865,000 miles across and 93,000,000 miles away...
- The sun is really that big hence the reason it is so bright and hot..

If the suns gravity keeps the earth in orbit,whats holding the sun within its orbit? - The sun isn't in orbit. It is the centre point of our solar system. It is however spiralling towards the centre of the galaxy.

Why do we only see a few hundred stars at night? why isnt the night sky filled with millions of stars? why isnt the sky at night aglow like day? - There are BILLIONS of stars in the night sky. You obviously live in the city and have never seen the sky from a remote location. You can only see a fraction of ths sky from your location on the ground anyway.

out of time!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is a very odd thread!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The sun doesn't have an orbit, although it does revolve, or rotate, and benefits from it's own centrifugal force. I don't know where you live, but where I'm from I can see way more than hundreds of stars... it's more like hundreds of thousands. The reason the sun seems so blindingly bright is because our atmosphere magnifies it's brightness.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonkrh
just because you cant wrap your little brain around something doesnt mean it isnt true.. lololol

similarly just because the idea is outrageous and completely unsupported by any actual evidence doesn't make it true either

So the challenge is to find evidence which supports or discounts it.

On the one hand there is 400+ years of more-or-less scientific observation of the skies.

On the other hand some dude on ATS saying it ain't so.

So far I'm leaning towards thinking that some dude is trying to gather stars just for being outrageous here on ATS......

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
The sun doesn't have an orbit,...

Strictly speaking it orbits galactic centre. There is also a school of thought that it may orbit with another star around a common centre - IIRC that star being either Sirrus or an unobserved brown dwarf or similar out in interstellar space.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by blocula

Related thread:

For The World Is "Hollow", And I Have Touched The Sky
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by this_is_who_we_are
started on 3/20/2012 @ 10:55 AM

This is serious stuff.

edit on 7/1/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

No! This is Sirius Stuff!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Of all the lies we are told, I really don't see an agenda for them to lie to us about the distance and size of the sun.
What exactly would it achieve?

Nevermind the fact that many people are well versed in astronomy and mathmatics. You are looking for conspiracies for the sake of it. :smh:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I found this video on Youtube. I would just mute it and watch. I know that this video focuses on stars bigger than the sun but I still thought someone might enjoy it.
Ok im new so im still learning how to post videos but here is a link
www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-7-2012 by advonjones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I actually think Blocula knows his threads are ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't believe any of these crazy theories himself.

I think it's an "attention" thing, he knows when members see his name above a thread that they are going to take a look for the giggle factor, and he's just trying to make each one more outlandish than the next in a quest for his flags and stars.

In fairness though he does post them in Skunk works, or The Gray area....so he knows full well that he doesn't need to provide any evidence or proof........and I love the fact that he presents his "stories" as facts in most cases and not opinion

Keep on posting Blocula.....your good for a laugh mate.....but you do need to get out more!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
"Why do we only see a few hundred stars at night? why isnt the night sky filled with millions of stars?"
A few hundred? depends where you live when I go outside at night clear sky I can easily see over 3000+ stars but that's just because I live about an hour away from the nearest town but still in suburban areas you can see more than that. Also where is you proof that the sun is closer and smaller? no evidence to back your story up. Please show proof to justify your theory.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fg45rr1

Yep no light pollution from street lights etc

edit on 1-7-2012 by denver22 because: Added corrections and more

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I don't think the OP is right but hey it's just a theory and something that is interesting to discuss, breaks up the usual dullness, I've seen much worse threads on here.

Now here is something I've often thought about...

So the sun is a huge ball of matter yes? And that matter is burning or rather there is supposed to be a nuclear explosive continuously occurring yes? This is producing a huge amount of energy and that energy isn't actually that efficient because it's being blasted out in all directions yes?

Well surely then the sun would be losing mass as this is happening right? After billions of years of constantly losing mass it surely must of lost a somewhat significant amount of the mass no? And our orbit is governed by the mass of the sun right? Mass = gravity and all that.

So does anyone know exactly how far away we have moved from the sun in all that time? Surely we must have moved away from it to some degree right? The sun must be getting smaller to some degree too no?

Or is this thinking way off base? If so could someone explain why? In layman's terms please

Anyway just something I thought would fit the thread and kinda thinking out loud...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Whilst I may not believe his theories I do see the OPs intention with his post ...

We don't really know as much as we think we do, and a lot of us take for granted that there are people in those fields continuously working on things and figuring things out so the rest of us can sit on the couch.. .

the thing I think is the most hilarious out of it all, is somehow we think we must be closer to the truth here in 2012 than the people 1500 or even 250 years ago who seemed to think they knew the truth of things in their time.

What we call science today has quickly become quite similar to how religions were formed in antiquity; the use of certain sacraments to explore and research and putting it into practice by creating rituals and symbolic instruments like knives, bowls, daggers, statues etc..

which quickly became a business like our modern churches today and our sciences are mainly funded by corporations like pharmaceuticals, oil industry and electronics all of which is what I consider to be "old science" even the "break-throughs" in medicine.

the only real science is being done in black projects that we won't hear about for another 30-60 years, tightly locked up in military projects but I think the OP is being a tad naive, it's my guess they are doing some pretty "out-there" types of things in space.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

and so as the sky is plunged into darkness again and again,another strange aspect of this bizarre holographic optical illusion is revealed,to keep us from discovering whats really going on

From where does this darkness come of which you speak? Very hard to imagine that what I see in the sky is from this. Can you explain please? I don't think that's too much to ask.

4.bp.blogspot.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

reply to post by SplitInfinity

The only way that the overwhelmingly vast majority of us can try and prove that the sun is where and what we are taught to think,is for us to believe and repeat what tptb tell us and they lie to us all the time about so many things and i dont trust them at all...

TPTB tells you that posting on the internet is actually going to other people, when the reality may be it is going to a machine that uses your speculation to alter your matrix. This entire world may be..is..is not designed as a construct just for you alone to try and harvest your soul.

Yet you keep typing on the internet..you keep talking to "people". If you accept the programmig of tptb enough to entertain the idea that the internet is real and people are real outside of yourself, then why not entertain the simple sciences of the construct you are in...
either it is all an illusion, or its not...your picking and choosing..and if you read this and continue to post, doesn't that make you hypocritical?

ATS needs quality control 404ing imo..

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why are people _even_ debating this stuff?
It's ridiculous.+ asinine.
Limbo

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join