It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Is Much Smaller And A Lot Closer Than We Are Misled To Believe

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by tamusan

Why do we only see a few hundred stars at night? why isnt the night sky filled with millions of stars? why isnt the sky at night aglow like day?

The night sky is not filled with millions of stars. It is filled with billions of them. Human eyes just can't see all of them. The fusion reaction inside stars produced the photons which we detect as light by a change in the energy state of the electrons in the protium fueling the fusion reaction, with the frequency of the photon dependent on the energy state change. Photons are the mediating bosons of all electromagnetic radiation. Unfortunately we can't "see" the stars that shine in radio frequencies, or those that are only infrared (lower than we can see) frequencies, or the ones"shining" in the x-ray band. But they are there.
Another problem for us in seeing all the stars is that there is a limit to the resolving power of the human eye. A person with normal visual acuity can resolve objects with an angular displacement of 1/60 of a degree. Many stars are just too small to see. The observable (with the use of instruments) universe extends about 13.7 billion light years. I'll leave you to do the actual math, but the formula to determine how big an object needs to be to be able to see it is X = d (tan 1/60/), where X is the size of the object and d is how far away it is. For example, an object 10 billion light years away would need to be 300 light years in diameter to be seen by the human eye, without an instrument. And that is with perfect contrast Resolution declines as contrast lessens, which is why you can see more stars when you are away from light pollution. I would invite you to take a look at this image of the Seahorse Nebula (ep.yimg.com...). It contains more than a billion stars, but we can't see any one of them because the whole thing, which is 170,000 light years away, is only about 100 light years across.
When looking at the night sky, size matters.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Light from thousands of stars of all ages and from all distances are not diffused and is able to reach us all the time,but billions of other stars light just,doesnt reach us?

They are diffused as well. But less-so than stars that are much farther away.

Here, go to this page: Messier Object List

Tell me - why can't you see these objects with your naked eye? These were taken by amateur astronomers. By pointing their telescopes at a black spot in the sky for up to several hours, they capture enough photons on film to make an image. By your theory, we should see these objects at all times. They ARE there. Obviously - they are captured all the time by people like you and me. I've done astrophotography - these galaxies made up of stars, and nebula.. giant fields of glowing gases - they exist and I've caught them on film. How am I doing that?

Are you suggesting some sinister agent is somehow tampering with our ability to photograph the sky, and in the end, what we capture on film?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

That's one thing that Men In Black got right. The universe could be tiny, and we'd never know it because of our perspective. An insect thinks that it flies dozens of miles, but to us, it's a few feet. It's all about perspective.
Ill go with that, however we percieve things as humans and the distance is correct for our perception.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by F4guy

Pretty good math but ill not step in, this is bloc time.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
As usual, little research and no sense. I keep checking blocula's threads hoping for something with a little bit of meat, but all I get are holographic bones, tee hee.

Are you accusing our probes and entire space program of lying to us? Oh yes, you've already done that. Well, keep up the good work. Your comedy skit could use some polishing, though.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

reply to post by fleabit

Light from thousands of stars of all ages and from all distances are not diffused and is able to reach us all the time,but billions of other stars light just,doesnt reach us?

Actually, the working theory is that by the time we see the light from a star, the star that gave off that light is already dead.

As for your other stars, come on...do you really think you see that well? What are you, 12? Go back to high school, seriously. I want to be nice about this, but it's like explaining that if you toss the brick up, yes it will come down.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by F4guy Resolution declines as contrast lessens, which is why you can see more stars when you are away from light pollution.

Your right i spent many a night as security in the countryside with hardly any light pollution
It feels like you could just pluck the stars from the sky, simply amazing a wonder to behold.

No need to turn the lights on as the moon illuminates brightly and the stars more prominent.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Theres just no way something so bright and hot is that far away,imo...

So in essence you are saying........"The limited capacity of my brain to think and analyse scientific facts is seriously lacking.......therefore it must be evil aliens"

Way to go blocula....way to go!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
reply to post by blocula

Theres just no way something so bright and hot is that far away,imo...

So in essence you are saying........"The limited capacity of my brain to think and analyse scientific facts is seriously lacking.......therefore it must be evil aliens"

Way to go blocula....way to go!

QFT

Couldn't have put it better myself...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV
On a more serious note, how do you even know the sun exists? How do you know you exist? Do you know that I exist? Maybe I (along with everyone else on this forum), and the sun are just figments of your etheral imagination creating a "world" to live in

If this is true then i created myself a seriously screwed up place.

You aswell?
(now how to answer that one huh, did i create you, or you me?
)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Actually, the working theory is that by the time we see the light from a star, the star that gave off that light is already dead.

As for your other stars, come on...do you really think you see that well? What are you, 12? Go back to high school, seriously. I want to be nice about this, but it's like explaining that if you toss the brick up, yes it will come down.

It's assumed that some of these stars are dead, yes. We don't know for certain, obviously. That has nothing to do with photons already released and hitting the earth and then your retina.

I don't even know what your second snarky comment was for. I was trying to explain to our challenged thread creator why we can't see galaxies, nebula, etc. with our naked eye, but they clearly do exist, as we can capture photons on film. Care to explain your rudeness? Perhaps you misunderstand what I was trying to say to the TC.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by tamusan

Why do we only see a few hundred stars at night? why isnt the night sky filled with millions of stars? why isnt the sky at night aglow like day?

Astronomy 101, u need to take it. But of course, if you are always wearing your tin foil hat then chances are you will refuse higher learning because it's part of the source of the deception. Good news, YouTube & google can answer your questions, or perhaps Phage.

As far as why don't you see millions upon millions of stars at night, well it has to do with a stars luminosity and distance. No conspiracy there, just logic and education.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I really hate when people use the word "THEORY", all the while throwing the scientific method out the window. This is not a theory, it is a belief, like creationisim etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Unbelievable
Simply unbelievable that this thread should be 8 pages long answering the op about his nonsensical post
Truly amazing

What's next bloc ? "the world is flat thread"
edit on 1-7-2012 by CynicalWabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalWabbit
Unbelievable
Simply unbelievable that this thread should be 8 pages long answering the op about his nonsensical post
Truly amazing

What's next bloc ? "the world is flat thread"
edit on 1-7-2012 by CynicalWabbit because: (no reason given)

Dont encourage him i have been down that road with him and he believes it is
untill i explained it to him but hey i hit a stumbling ....BLOC with him and could'nt get through.
edit on 1-7-2012 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCThefirst
I really hate when people use the word "THEORY", all the while throwing the scientific method out the window. This is not a theory, it is a belief, like creationisim etc.

2+2 equals 4... A fact
The earth is round A fact.

Blocs hypothesis about the sun being smaller and closer is a THEORY.
The chances of blocs discworld becoming a reality ....NO CHANCE.

Possibilty of getting through to him ... NO CHANCE IN HELL.

Hope that clears up the facts from the theorys pal.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
i have to say for once.Im skeptical of this, its a good idea. but what else would be there outside of this holographic universe? inlighten me please?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Like it or not,believe it or not,malevolently designed illusions,a holographic curtain of stars we call outer space, has been intentionally wrapped around our world and purposefully injected into our minds,deceiving us and keeping us as far away from the brutal truth as possible,meant to ensure we never discover where we actually are,never find out whats really being done to us and never know whos doing it...

Go outside on a clear day and try looking at the sun,its so blindingly bright we cant even look at it with our eyes and theres just no way that i'm going to believe its really 865,000 miles across and 93,000,000 miles away...

Because the sun is much smaller than we are intentionally misled to think it is and its a lot closer than we are purposefully taught to believe it is...

If the suns gravity keeps the earth in orbit,whats holding the sun within its orbit?

Something,or someone,wants humanity to feel helplessly trapped and hopelessly small,but i dont believe we really are...

Something,or someone,wants humanity to think theres no way for us to get away,with nowhere else for us to go,but i dont believe its really true...

Visualize the functions and understand the reasons for those little heat lights that so many of us hang up high inside our home made terrariums,shining down to keep our little pets illuminated and warm,as they live and die totally oblivious within,never realizing they exist in a fabricated reality...

Those unnerving questions and comparisons will open our eyes and minds to the truth about what the sun actually is,what its really doing and what its really for...

Perhaps this will be too profoundly disturbing for a lot of people to try and comprehend and so ridiculing and denying the possibility will be easier for them to live with,but i think its the brutal truth and the possibility of it actually being true is very real and should not be ignored...

"The earth is a farm,we are someone elses property" Charles Fort 1874-1932

"Theres a terrible lot of lies going about the world and the worst of it is,half of them are true" Winston Churchill 1874-1965

"There is far more to this world than taught in our schools,shown in the media,or proclaimed by the church and state.Most of mankind lives in a hypnotic trance,taking to be reality what is instead a twisted simulacrum of reality,a collective dream in which values are inverted,lies are taken as truth and tyranny is accepted as security.They enjoy their ignorance and cling tightly to the misery that gives them identity"...Thomas Cox

edit on 1-7-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Where is it you want to go when you get to the bottom of all of the astronomer's dastardly deeds?

Seriously though - you might have the beginnings of a short story or novel. Science Fiction, but could be a decent read.

Almost forgot - you probably don't see that many stars because of all of the light pollution where you live. Try driving down to quiet area - a lake, a bay - I noticed MANY, MANY more starts when we used to go down to the bay and spend the night on my grandfather's boat.
edit on 1-7-2012 by flashtrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i think the only thing that may back up your claim is it that ive never known us send a probe to investigate real close to the sun. we always seem to go the other way.

really though mate, this is something an 8 year old kid would think.

i once told my older brother when i was really young that the dark clouds were because of pollution. to which he replied "no, they are rain clouds u sap".

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by flashtrum

"Talking about stars" its a wonder anyone gave him any for this " thread".
Sorry bloc mate ..

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join