It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moses wore a veil???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by avatard

It was supposedly a mistranslation of a word in the Latin Vulgate:

The Bible that was in use during Michelangelo's time was the Latin Vulgate. Exodus 34:29 says " When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, . . . he did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God." For the word shone, the Latin uses the word cornuta (cornu means horn). So, Moses grew horns while he talked with God. In the original Hebrew, the word used here does mean shone.

Source

Owing to the representations of the old painters and sculptors, it has become a wide-spread belief that Moses, when he came down from Mount Sinai with the tables of the Law, had two horns on his forehead. This strange idea, however, is based upon a wrong interpretation of Ex. xxxiv. 29, 35, ("And behold the skin of his face shone"), in which means "to shine" (comp. Hab. iii. 4, = "brightness was on his side"). The old translations give = "shine," with the exception of Aquila and the Vulgate, which read "his face had horns." This misunderstanding, however, may have been favored by the Babylonian and Egyptian conception of horned deities (Sin, Ammon), and by the legend of the two-horned Alexander the Great (see the Koran, sura xviii. 85).

Source

However, there is some debate among scholars as to whether or not this was actually a mistranslation.

Doubtful it was a mistranslation. Can a veil hide two horns sticking out of your head or would it just make you look like a floating monster? Did Moses also grow two horns every time he came out of the tabernacle?

Exodus 34:34 But whenever he entered the LORD's presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, 35 they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the LORD.

Who the hell are these so called 'experts'? They're liars colluding to keep the truth from you.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFogHorn

Which is why I made sure my reply to Avatard was not one-sided. I made sure he knew that the "official" explanation was not the ONLY explanation. I question the official story, and the alternative theories equally. Neither one holds any more weight with me than the other until I see enough from all sides to give me a leaning.

I spent my time in life as a Christian, and a believer in the system. I paid dearly for both. Never again if I can help it.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I feel everything I say is falling on very unwilling ears. I find it very strange that my 'evidence' is almost universally over looked. It's not because it's not convincing evidence but because it's unwanted.

<< 1   >>

join