It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you live in the UK and have freeview tv? if so read this...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
10 Reasons to Cancel Your TV Licence
MUST SEE VIDEO!

Up until the last few years I used to be a big fan of BBC programming and would invest at least a few hours every day watching programmes like Eastenders, Top of the Pops, Only Fools & Horses, Question Time, Newsnight, Panorama, etc. But these days I cannot bring myself to watch any BBC programmes at all. Even watching just five minutes worth makes me feel dirty. It’s not the quality of the programming that’s at issue, it’s the fact that the BBC is such a repulsive propaganda machine that seems to pay no attention to the concerns of the very people who are funding them.

The BBC has had it too good for too long. One of the major problems posed by the BBC is their lack of accountability to the very people who pay their wages – us. The BBC is never far away from controversy but nothing ever seems to change and no one in their corporation ever seems to be worser off as a result of their wrongdoing. Imagine for a moment that it was a completely different media company we were talking about, and not the BBC. For argument’s sake, let’s say it was ITV or Sky. What would happen is that the viewers would refuse to watch that TV station any longer and/or they would cancel their subscriptions. And if enough people did this, the company would go bankrupt very quickly. That’s because these company’s are directly accountable to their viewers who pay their wages via subscriptions or from watching the adverts. However, the BBC does not afford us this luxury to the people who fund them. It doesn’t matter how many people stop watching BBC programmes because the BBC will continue to receive £3.4 billion a year from our pockets. Therefore the BBC has no financial impetus to even want to change what they do. Even if a million people suddenly stopped watching the BBC, it wouldn’t make the slightest bit of difference to the BBC’s annual turnover, which means that they can continue to anger people as much as they want without any fear of redundancies, pay cuts or the company going bust through lack of consumer confidence in their products. Therefore we only have one real option available to us and that’s to cancel our TV Licence.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Minnie1985

We have Gordon Brown to thank for this...that and the whole mess that is going to start very soon with radio frequencies when the old licensing expires and the new system comes into effect. It was kept very, very quiet and I only found out about it through talking with the people who installed the sound loop at my place of work last summer...but it is going to cause chaos.

In January 2008, OFCOM announced that the Government, via the Ministry of Defence, could sell off its 75% holdings in spectrum radio frequencies to the private market.

Government, its agencies and other public organisations including the Ministry of Defence (MoD) will be able to share, trade or release their considerable radio spectrum holdings under new plans announced by Ofcom.

Ofcom expects the arrangements to free up some of the most valuable spectrum for new wireless services for the benefit of citizens and consumers. This will enable the key public users such as the MoD to trade their spectrum holdings and acquire new spectrum in the market.

Public bodies use around half of the radio spectrum below 15 GHz – the most sought after and congested frequencies. An independent study published in 2005 estimated that the spectrum held by the public sector could have a market value of between £3bn and over £20bn.

That's a lot of money and is on a par with the amount of money the Treasury gained from the sell off of licenses for the 3G mobile networks in the late 1990s. However, how much of this estimated £3bn to £20bn will the MoD see?

In a recent memo from the MoD to the Defence Select Committee the MoD confirmed that it was only going to be allowed to keep £500 million in receipts from the sell-off.

dizzythinks.net...

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
come now, this is the daily mail and as stated earlier, OFCOM would just squash this, do you self a favour and find a different news source before reading that rag gives you cancer - it can do that you know, i read it somewhere.

Edit: eep! just seen the age of this thread, it never happened anyways...
edit on 14-1-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join