It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you live in the UK and have freeview tv? if so read this...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Looks like the great british public are being shafted again,

i wonder what other way to screw every penny out of us they will think of next?

visit link www.dailymail.co.uk...

Millions of Freeview customers will be burdened with bills of more than £200 to install a filter to prevent a new mobile network interfering with their television picture. Experts have warned that without the necessary filter the 4G mobile phone network will cause significant pixellation and picture break-up. Freeview and the BBC are furious at the government's decision to land the taxpayer with the expense of installing the filters which they say could add £212 on to the existing cost of cable television. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[/b ]

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm in the UK but I don't watch any T.V we switched off nearly a year ago now! This story did make me chuckle a bit! lol

What on earth will people do without their T.V?

Definitely some sort of scam, unless this has happened in other countries that have 4g. Anyone know?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I did read this somewhere before. Apparently the new 4G signals MAY interfere in rare circumstances, but they are offering up to £500 or something for people to install filters where they are affected. I really can't remember where I read this so can't provide links, but from a legal point of view, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on surely? If it worked like that, I could go put pirate radio on the Sky band and tell Sky to tell their customers to go install a filter.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Yet another scam by the corporations to rob people of their money.

The money the government have put aside for this you can bet they will have covered by this scam. They are only paying for the filters, not the fitting. It should be entirely free for the consumer and the 4G companies should pay the bill.

The government needs ejecting and replacing. They do nothing for the people. They exist purely to get themselves and their corporate sponsors rich. If they had any integrity, they would have not allowed this to go ahead. Its the same with all the crap about the banks. They go on and on about inquiries and change, but nothing ever gets done, unless it somehow screws the poor.

You dont need a TV anyway.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

hi, i've also stopped watching most tv now, there are only a few channels reporting the truth, and even them we have to be careful with, this doesn't effect me either as we have sky coz we couldn't get reception any other way.

its funny, a year ago i used to be glued to the tv, watching all the usual nonsense like soaps, but now i'll only watch if its informative and i occasionally watch a few comedies,

i'm trying to wean myself off the tv all together as i don't want to pay the bbc another penny

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Minnie1985

You guys are just getting 4g?? Not that I care it's all the same stuff to me, but we've had it for 2 years probably.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Just watch the i players and then you wont need to pay any t.v licence, we packed ours in some time ago, even before we stopped watching t.v... When the inspector comes just tell them you only watch on demand now... They will ask for your name, you do not need to give it. They will ask to come in, you do not need to let them. Problem solved...

But you can legitimately watch only on demand and be "legal". That is from the BBC. I can find you the info if you like? From the horses mouth.

We don't even notice not having the T.V anymore, it's fantastic. We don't even watch on demand. We do watch the odd film here and there, but thats it.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

hi, i'm not that up on technology and don't really know what 4g actually is lol, guessing something to do with the internet and that's as much as i need to know, haha

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

We are not going to get it until next year I believe, They were supposed to hold auctions for the airways last year but it got put back. Probably people looking for back handers!

I recently got the new samsung S3 and so now I have H+ which I find to be pretty good. I tether off my phone as my sole internet source and i get 7mb download with H+. That does me just fine!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Yeah basically it is faster mobile internet. 3g had hit it's peak. There was nothing more they could do software wise apparently. So they had to upgrade all the masts and such. Not even sure if that work is complete.

But yeah they say you can get home broadband speeds on your mobile. It would be good for me but it all depends on the price. So far I'm very happy with H+.

link   
reply to post by mee30

hello, thank you for your reply, don't worry about getting the info for me, only a couple of days ago i was reading exactly what you just said about legally not paying your license, cheers, although if you fancy adding that info for any other members then be my guest

link   
This is bullshet.

This is what OFFCOM is for to make sure this does NOT happen. When the 4G licensing was in process surely someone must of flagged it up as certain frequency bands conflicting.

Seams fishy to me.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
At least poor people who can't afford to buy the filters, and those who object and refuse to buy them, will no longer be brainwashed by tv drivel.

Maybe they'll wake up.

Did the government consider that, I wonder.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You can use your sky sat dish with a free sat box and pay no one at all. You get HD and the ability to record programmes. All you do is unplug one and plug in the other.

I hate paying Murdock more than I hate paying the BBC no contest

link   
reply to post by doobydoll

No, they wont. They will get themselves into more debt to buy the filters.

link   

Okay cool, no problem...

Don't think this is official but this explains what you can do legally.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This is from the BBC site, obviously they do not shout about it but check out the wording

Everyone in the UK who watches or records TV as it is broadcast needs to be covered by a TV licence. This includes TV on computers, mobile phones, DVD/video recorders and other devices.

"as it is broadcast" You do not need a license even to watch BBC on demand. lol

Here is the link

www.bbc.co.uk...

Don't pay the scumbags a bean!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by colin42

To do that you would still need to pay the BBC "legally", Personally I'd still tell them to piss off as there is nothing they can do anyway! Makes me laugh when they come to my door. I had one guy say to me, "look mate I get £40,000 a year whether you get a license or not!" I just laughed and said "well what the hell you bothered about then?" He just walked away.

But yeah nice to know the license fee is going towards paying these goons 40,000 a year to harass people! Isn't that nice of the BBC? They are racketeers!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I cut cable in 1997 and have pirated all my television/movies ever since.

cost of going to theater here locally is same price as buying the blasted DVD, and movies aren't the social event they once were in the 50's - 80's they are now better enjoyed privately or with family in the home anyhow.

television is 80% spam 20% content, I run adblock on everything online and use my hosts file to redirect all doubleclick/ad servers to 127.0.0.1 anyhow. We've had enough with commercial and spam online, and I had had enough of it on my television. So I shut it off around 1997 and started with newsgroups and ftp servers and used an old Hauppage wintv card to output to my television.

Course nowdays I just plug my Western Digital WDTV into my TV via hdmi cable, then I have a usb WIFI adapter plugged into the WDTV box and my linux pc's movie directory shared on the network for streaming to my television across my home lan.

I use uTorrent's RSS Scheduler feature so that when new shows air, they are automatically downloaded without me touching anything, works very much like Tivo.

easy peasy, until they change their business model and stop shoving 30 minutes of blaring ads down your throat just to get 10-15 minutes of content then I don't plan on changing either.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
this should not be a problem as digital switchover is almost complete.

i.e. the digital channels are transmitting at higher power.

there could be an issue when tuning for new channels as the freeview boxes could get overloaded when scanning.

however there could be a problem with their tv aerials pointing to one transmiter when watching say bbc one and then a 4g transmitter is on the same frequency but another odd 20 miles behind the transmitter.

this is where ofcon (yes misspelt deliberatley) should allocate transmission frequencies properly.

the other problem is that a lot of people have paid out for sensitive TV aerials and distribution amplifiers to get the weak freeview signals before.going full power.

as a result some TVs are almost overloaded in signal strength with the change over to full power.

i have had to add a 12db attenuator to my tv signal input since switch over.

add to that a 4g transmitter (that could be low power) and with a sensitive TV aerial and you have a mix for disaster.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by colin42

You can use your sky sat dish with a free sat box and pay no one at all. You get HD and the ability to record programmes. All you do is unplug one and plug in the other.

I hate paying Murdock more than I hate paying the BBC no contest

You get HD but only FTA channels. Come on now. You still have to pay Murdock if you want something decent with the plug and play ease that you've described in your post.

Personally, I get it all anyway without paying Murdock. Thanks to my Vu+ Duo!
edit on 30-6-2012 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join