It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Gay Marriage amendment/scam in NC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is crazy! Not just the amendment, or its potential consequences, but the comments on the post here. O.M.G. people are screwed in the head.

www.bluenc.com...

For those who don't want to read the link (it's short; don't be skurred), I'll try to summarize:

The proposed amendment to the NC Constitution in its entirety: "Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this state."

Just reading that by itself is scary enough, if you think about the implications. Marriage - even if it allowed for same-sex marriage - is the ONLY legal domestic union. No more commonlaw marriage or anything of that nature, that part is obvious right off the bat. Here's an image with a shortened version of the 10 reasons in the article. The best is reason #1: gay marriage is already illegal there. No amendment is needed to outlaw gay marriage. And people are still defending this like mad, raving lunatics! WTF!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

I must admit I didn't look at your source, I started where you did.

The best is reason #1: gay marriage is already illegal there. No amendment is needed to outlaw gay marriage.
NC is not trying to outlaw gay marriage, they're trying to protect straight marriage. I'm sure you know that any law passed can be easily "un-passed." Simple majority, easy peasy (as another poster has it). What they're trying to do in NC is to add it to their Constitution. That would give it an extra level of protection.

If you like the one man - one woman position, it makes a lot of sense, not mad or raving at all.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Ignoring the "gay marriage" aspect entirely, I still can't get over the fact that the people that think voting to regulate the sale of fully-automatic machine guns (or RPGs or fighter jets or nuclear missiles) is going to somehow result in the government taking away all of your guns and your Bible are the same people who voted in an amendment that says the only legal "domestic union" is marriage between one man and one woman. What, they can't picture the government taking away their children or their pets or their computers under those circumstances, but regulating the sale of assault rifles is going to end with death camps for Christians?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yeah, most NC voters didnt even realize it would make their common law marriages moot as well.

This was just a GOP tactic to get their base riled up. It will be ruled unconstitutional by the state, and will be repealed.

Political madness.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vrill

Hate to be a downer, but NC resident here. This was already voted on and passed. As sad as it makes me, and as ashamed as I am to say I am from this state, this is now in our constitution.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
NC is not trying to outlaw gay marriage, they're trying to protect straight marriage

Yes they are:

North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage

edition.cnn.com...

There is no reason to believe that gay marriage endangers straight marraige. It's not as if men will drop their prospective fiance's to get with other men if gay marriage were legalized. This is North Carolina's choice, but a homophobic one.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think it's an awesome display of democracy in progress.

If that's what the people of NC want for their state collectively , by majority, as democratic voting and our American republic demands then that's what they shall have.. And it will be Right for them.

Anything less is Un-American. Bravo NC !

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Dear Southern Guardian,

I suppose you're right, but I think it depends on point of view. Before the amendment, gay marriage could become the law with a simple majority vote. I think the Constitutional amendment was designed to make it harder to introduce gay marriage.

But I see your point, that it was designed to attack gay marriage, and won't argue it. Thanks for the comment.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

join