It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open call for ideas on future debates

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Sorry about that. Honest.

However, you will have plenty of opportunity in the future to debate and judge, because it's people like you that keep driving the interest forward. I also am wishing to see the debate forum take off, and after we work out the current protocols, I think it'll run smoothly.

We will appreciate your comments on how things are working. Anything you see that could be a snag will be a welcome comment.

And someday, down the road, I would be honored to debate you.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Way too complicated. We are now just trying to get debates rolling again. We'll need more member participation to be able to include such broad parameters. The debate forum is small, yet, it's growing again.

We'd be honored if you volunteer to be a judge. Or even, offer a debate subject. Or both.

We need membership, such as you, to volunteer. Game?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Glad to have you on the judging panel. If anyone, you'll be fair and impartial.

Your posting record precedes you, and without being able to make cults, this could probably be the closest you get to actual religious debate.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I'm game
just u2u if you guys need any help.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well that was an interesting read back on the last several pages, seems like things are moving along swimmingly!

I agree it will be great to see new life breathed into the Debate forum.

Did I say that right?

Anyway, let me know via U2U if a judge is needed I will be honored to help.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

You make, if my count is correct, the tenth volunteer judge. Thanks for volunteering, and keeping the debates alive.

We'll u2u you, but during this trial, we request you post that you have accepted your judging position per the debate you are officiating over.

There should be a new thread soon, outlining the requirements of the volunteer judges. Stay Tuned.

Still working out the details of a smooth functioning debate forum. The more, the more realistic it becomes.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Maybe as things progress we can have the judge thread as mentioned, then one that has all the topics added to it to make it easier, then one for banter/comments like this one is now.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The first trial debate has concluded. You can read it HERE.

I have sent u2us to the three judges, and it's my understanding the judges have permission to post their decisions in the actual thread. The judges are enjoies05, vkey08, and beezzer.

It's recommended to follow the format of the previous debates, when delivering your decision.

If you can't post in the thread as a judge, then we will have to wait for The Vagabond to clarify the issue.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Judging this debates is extremely tough choosing between two great members. It's hard to pick only one.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Do you really think that it is wise to have an open judge on a social network? I think it may cause problems. I kind of like not knowing who my judge is. I also like keeping friends on the site if I happen to judge against them and for the opponent.

Now I realize that in a perfect world an unbiased judge is expected to make decisions based on the debate and not on prior prejudice, preconceived notions or friendship.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

A private judges forum would be great however at times members will be debating as well as judging so even that can get sticky.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I certainly hope there was no animosity.

I felt none towards the judges who ruled in my debate.

I was honoured to judge the most recent debate. Both participants were outstanding.
edit on 1-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I agree. Unfortunately it's something that could come up but I hope our group is strong enough to not let that occur. I hope no fighters would have any bad feelings against each other due to any judging or debating. And the judges look at the debates in a fair way.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank the judges who participated in the debate for a very timely and honest assesment. We need to realize that this is a "status restricted" forum, and accordingly, we are all familiar with the protocols involved, and we don't have to deal with "trolls" here.

As a trial participant, I think it's important to remember to focus on the positive aspects of what we are trying to achieve here, and realize we come from a "seasoned" group of members.

I am pleased with the judging results. I think they did an outstanding job.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
reply to post by beezzer

I agree. Unfortunately it's something that could come up but I hope our group is strong enough to not let that occur. I hope no fighters would have any bad feelings against each other due to any judging or debating. And the judges look at the debates in a fair way.

I kept up with the debate and when it came time to judge, deliberately ignored what the other judge stated as to not colour my decision.

I do feel that anyone granted with the ability to debate in this forum has the understanding and maturity to see it in a noble light.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

Many fighters are also writers and writers can be a sensitive lot...

Honestly there will probably never be a problem, and since this is a private forum I feel safe to lay it on the table if I have questions, thoughts or concerns.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
I just wanted to thank the judges who participated in the debate for a very timely and honest assesment. We need to realize that this is a "status restricted" forum, and accordingly, we are all familiar with the protocols involved, and we don't have to deal with "trolls" here.

As a trial participant, I think it's important to remember to focus on the positive aspects of what we are trying to achieve here, and realize we come from a "seasoned" group of members.

I am pleased with the judging results. I think they did an outstanding job.

Seconded!

I think that, so long as a judge articulates why they came to a decision, as opposed to just saying "Joe Bloe won", most people could likely at least see where they are coming from, even if they disagreed.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It certainly was a tough one to decide on, it really came down to a few minor points, both fighters did an excellent job..

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I made another post in the debate thread, just scroll to the bottom. It applies to everyone involved.

I think the "experiment" was a success. Your thoughts?

I have another debate request (one from page 2 in this thread), between enjoies05 and myself, with the topic of:

The military installation known as Area 51 is not actually related to extra-terrestrials or extra-terrestrial craft.

BEFORE I request a thread, I'm asking for three member judges to officiate. Any takers?

Also, since The Vagabond is adjusting to a new workload, I will u2u intrepid to create the thread. He volunteered to help.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Sure why not

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join