It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open call for ideas on future debates

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by vkey08

It's on a volunteer basis at the moment. All you have to do is say you'll sit in as a judge.

Would you like to be the third judge?

I thought i had volunteered, a few posts up LOL
But yeah I will, I stated that before

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
So who are the three "fighters" that have volunteered to judge This latest DEBATE?

Just curious, and trying to work out the parameters so it's easy for everyone involved to see how this is going to work.

Judge #1: vkey08
Judge #2:
Judge #3:

Judges 2 & 3 have been u2ud by The Vagabond, and have agreed. Just waiting for them to post here.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hello. Judge beezzer here.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Am I guilty?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by beezzer

Am I guilty?

I promise not to let it go to my head.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My $.02 on debates moving forward.

1 I would have debate seasons like "Fall 2012 Debate " Run the debate season with the calender of each season. All debates would be challenges, no tournament set ups.

2 Champions would be awarded on the winner of each season (total points). The entire season would be the tournament.

3 Simplify each debate with one opening post, one middle/rebutted post then one ending post. Each debater would have 3 posts per debate with unlimited character counts.

4 Each debate would have one week to finish the debate.

5 The winners from each season would then compete for the yearly championship.
edit on 28-7-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Thank god you didn't post a pic of Judge Judy, lol she scares me

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Gotta agree. She annoys me. What about this judge though?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Gotta agree. She annoys me. What about this judge though?

I would've done that but I hate shaving my legs.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Beezzer and enjoies05 have both accepted u2u invitations to judge from me. I hadn't realized that the debaters intended to take volunteers in the thread.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Sorry for being away from this forum for so long. I've got one. Charity vs Welfare.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Beezzer and enjoies05 have both accepted u2u invitations to judge from me. I hadn't realized that the debaters intended to take volunteers in the thread.

I thought everyone was on the same page.

There's no issue, is there?

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I have accepted as judge for the debate. Just a little late due to time zones etc. So if we have three judges now I guess the debate can get going?

The other question is are we going to have debating and judging at the same time? As it's a fairly drawn out process I can't see it being too hard to debate our own threads and judge others at the same time.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Sorry for being away from this forum for so long. I've got one. Charity vs Welfare.

I want in on that action, trep.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I hope there is no issue. I didn't post up in this thread that I volunteered as a judge because reading the u2u I wasn't 100% sure if the judges were anonymous or not, so I played it safe.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

There have been several (8 total) who have volunteered to judge debates. There will be more in the future, and the only qualification I can see to be a judge is to have "fighter" status. This forum is status limited, so we won't have wanderers coming in, aye?

To clarify, beezer, enjoies05, and vkey08 are to be the first panel of judges in this new trial format.

In the future, it should probably be up to the member starting a debate to collect their topic, their debate partner, and ask for three volunteers to be judges, of which in the thread will be stated. The debate thread is created with all parameters in place. It also concludes itself, with each judge giving their assessment of the debate, with a couple of paragraphs of discourse, and ending with a statement of their opinion of who the winner is, and why.

The major point is that there are several "persistent" members. These members, such as myself, are always on ATS, within the constraints of our lives, but we do read regularly. We have the time to dedicate for "extra" reading, and as volunteers, we are choosing to judge debates, knowing the time to judge is NOT a major commitment.

I'd like to see other members with "fighter" status step up to plate, and volunteer. That's what makes this forum active, and once more members realize there is a smoothly functioning debate forum, they will be interested as well. There ARE at least five debates waiting inception.

All it takes is a few members to contribute, and such philosophy worked well for the Short Story forum. The SS forum has produced a remarkable amount of member contributions of late. I'd like to see this forum gain the same sort of popularity.

Yes, it runs at a slow pace, but there's no hurry here, really. The goal is to have debates, converse about topics, and have members contribute their opinions.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar
reply to post by The Vagabond

I have accepted as judge for the debate. Just a little late due to time zones etc. So if we have three judges now I guess the debate can get going?

The other question is are we going to have debating and judging at the same time? As it's a fairly drawn out process I can't see it being too hard to debate our own threads and judge others at the same time.

You'll have to sit this one out, sorry, three judges have been listed. That lends credence to my point about the debater/judge ratio.

Yes, debates and judging go on at the same time. You have no problem debating a topic, and then judging a debate of a totally dissimilar one when it finishes, aye? You are correct on that point.

I have seen through your posts that you'll be a regular judge, and you've shown that by your consistent posting. I also deem you to be an impartial judge, capable of producing an honest assessment of any debate.

We are still working through a trial basis of member judges, and sorry. I would be complimented to have you on the judging panel for this debate, but there are already three judges. There'll be more debates soon. I know I will volunteer.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

No issues, just working out new parameters.

You are an official judge, for THIS DEBATE.

You'll have to wait for the debate to finish, then post your choice for the winner. You are allowed to u2u the other judges to discuss your decision, but your post, and your decision, is final.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Yup, no problem. I look forward to reading it and then getting on to my own debate.

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

That's Ok, it was a little confusing I'll admit, I did receive a U2U from the Vagabond about judging, but being on the other side of the world didn't get it until this morning, most likely well after the others had replied. Damn time zones...

I will still be taking a great interest in the debates regardless, I'm keen on seeing this forum gain momentum and keep on going.

In the meantime, I am currently looking for a new opponent for the next rounds as they seem to have been started. Not too sure of topic just yet, will have a think and post some up a little later on, unless someone wants to suggest a new topic in the meantime.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join