It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open call for ideas on future debates

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by GAOTU789

I don't want to speak for the others but in my case, I've kinda adopted this neglected little forum. It's a great excercise and aren't we all here to debate anyway?

Though I'm new, I agree 100%

Know what I like most? Every post is well thought out, researched and presented well. No "hit and run 'you suck' messages" and trolling.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I don't want to speak for the others but in my case, I've kinda adopted this neglected little forum. It's a great excercise and aren't we all here to debate anyway?

When I very first joined I gadded about ATS, checking out all the forums. The debate forum was dead at the time. As soon as The Vagabond posted the "Open Call" thread, I was ecstatic. Of course I wanted to participate. I love debate.

The best thing is that it's structured, and troll free. The debate forum calls to calm souls, who know about debate. There's a friendliness and peace that permeates throughout, and I will speak for beezzer on this one, as well as myself, that the lack of hostility is invigorating and refreshing. That's what we want to see remain.

The debate forum is an oasis of structure and rational thought. It's very appealing to certain individuals. Speaking softly, I'd really like to see others involved.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
reply to post by Druid42

We will certainly be taking you folks ideas on board. It's going to take a little bit of work on all our parts but we should be able to get it moving forward soon. The tourney won't be soon. Like you said, we want a good compliment of participants in the forum before we go forward with it.

We appreciate any ideas you have and all will be considered. The staff, like yourselves, just want the forum to be vibrant and active. It is a good way to hone posting skills and maybe curb some of the less pleasant habits we all see on the boards.

Thanks again folks.

The interaction with the staff here is amazing. Honestly, to see staff working with members is a real treat, and yes, together, we can get things rolling again.

For now, we just need a Super Mod that can grant "fighter" status. I realize that is a drain on the staff, merely because of a possible inundation of requests in that particular mod's inbox, but a mod would be required to grant such requests after the mod checks the criteria of the member, like 200 posts and a 6 month membership. That's one Super Mod with one extra responsibility, that could blossom, and that's not really feasible.

There WILL be many more requests for "fighter" status once you guys post the thread. That's gonna be a flood of work. Yikes.

Then, there's the realization that 60% of the new debaters will lose interest, after a sunny day. You'll have a base of 40%, it's a social tensor, but even if you count the dozen "active" members in the debate forum, an addition of 40% will be close to 50 active members. Over six months, that percentage will drop to 20%, but by then the debate forum should be robust and self-sustaining.

I would shy from heavy advertising about the debate forum, and simply create the thread that the Super Mod to ask for "fighter" status is "xxxxxxxxxxx", (WHO DREW THE SHORTEST STRAW
) and list the debate requirements, and the rules.

The members can create debate threads, and it gives them the chance to learn and enact different aspects of debating, mainly being a host, as well as a judge, and as well, a participant. It gives debaters the ability to round out their abilities on a voluntary basis, and therefore, it also alleviates a lot of official Super Mod and staff's responsibility to judge debates, knowing that they don't have to "baby sit" a bunch of grown-ups. Sure, there'll be the occasionally pm about something, but it won't be a monstrosity that consumes a Mod's time.

Those are just my ideas. I'm offering the simplest suggestions, and also allowing for adjustments in the future....I simply, like many others, want to get the debates flowing again. We abide by the rules. Lay some down.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I think you'll be quite happy with what we're cooking up behind the scenes!

Now I'm probably going to get spanked for dropping this teaser!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

But have you noticed that the "access"restricted forums are all troll free? The various writing forums, SS and Collab, no trolls. Zero. That's a literal blessing to some members.

This forum is the same way.

Anywho, carry on....

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I'm more worried.

You mods are a twisted bunch. You always work out justice to honest parameters.

And yeah Heff, if you leak teasers, you need to make them juicier! Spankings are in order.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Druid42

I think you'll be quite happy with what we're cooking up behind the scenes!

Now I'm probably going to get spanked for dropping this teaser!

~Heff

Heff, I know you guys are busy, but waiting for this "news" is like anticipating disclosure from the government!

Anything new yet?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

They are concocting a solution. I think it'll be fair. The mods are wise, but give them time.

(but it is like watching paint dry!)

I had a few ideas to draw in new/more members to the debate forum, but I think I'll wait until the staff work something out. Patience is a virtue.

ETA: Ideas are malleable. I just don't want to have a flood of people with no solution yet. The technique will work whenever.

edit on 8/16/12 by Druid42 because: added ETA.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Things are going strong behind the scenes. I can't put a time frame on anything for y'all yet. But soon. I can only tell you that we are active and working on it!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by beezzer

Things are going strong behind the scenes. I can't put a time frame on anything for y'all yet. But soon. I can only tell you that we are active and working on it!

Thanks.
You sound abit like Yoda.

Strong behind the scenes, things are.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

lol... sounds like a politician to me!

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by beezzer

lol... sounds like a politician to me!

Should have run for office in our election they should have...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

There is a good debate: "Would beezzer make a good Potus?"

But then again, I don't know anyone who doesn't like beezzer.

He's just toooo "likable". It'd be a landslide.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Wait??? Somebody likes Beezer????

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

What's not to love?
I'm quiet.
Non opinionated.
Unpartisan.
Just a sweet l'il bunny.

. . . . . . . . . . aw hell. I can't even keep a straight face and say that! *evil laugh* BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

His own idea was it. Cheating he not was.

A blast it was. *Yoda chortle*

"Cults" forbidden, they are.

Learn young Jedi, learn. Truth seek you not, but knowledge it is.

I'm not even a big Star Wars fan, more of a Trekker.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Thread is here folks...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Well, I have to say I'm not a fan of shortening the debates to 3 posts. I know the reasons behind it, and I hope it makes the changes you want to see, but I think it sort of cheapens it in a way. Putting in all of the effort and seeing others do the same in return was something to admire. Just my opinion.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

None of those rules are set in stone.

If it comes to be that the older style of debate with 5 posts per fighter is what everyone wants, we'll rethink it and change it if necessary. The hope is that we will get a few more people involved. It may be viable for fighters, if they choose on their debate, to retain the 5 post per debate rule.

I feel for ya mate. I have only done debates with the 5 posts per. It's a lot of work but it rewarding and you have a feeling of satisfaction when you're finished.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I made a comment in the BBQ thread to make it four. Logic posted there.

Also made a new thread as a "catch basin" for all the new people. Here.

And, still wanting to know who to u2u for debate starts and such, from the staff. Is it any mod, or just WHO?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join