It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UPDATE) Power out to 4 million homes on east coast of US; small taste of life without electric!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
www.theweathernetwork.com...

hail in bathurst

Posted by: Keith Lavigne // June 30, 2012

Bathurst, New Brunswick // Shot: June 30, 2012

gee the way its going even this might be illegal,,,
well " Keith Lavigne "
thnks for the video,, just wanna get the word out too the 2000+ BIKERS ON THEIR way from NEW BRUNSWICK,,
hey there are t bikers too
lol
and Tornado Watches

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
reply to post by nightstalker78

"Won't last long"

12 deaths last time i checked, hasn't it been long enough yet?

And no, not bashing America, just pointing out the obvious hypocriscy of a country that's waging wars all over the globe just to keep their MIC economy going while unemployment is skyrocketing because there "are no jobs"

How many jobs you think it would create if the USA decided to improve their infrastructure?

And what does the size of your country have to do with it? If 4 million people are affected you can't tell me this is happening in some largely uninhabited farming/forest zone with hardly any infrastructure that might have missed some maintanance.

Fix your country before trying to fix the world IMO (or am i bashing America again now?)

There are a lot more people than 4 million people ... these are households and business customers.... if an average family of 4 then 16 million people and think about the businesses and lost income from shutting down!

There are many homes without power from trees and falling limbs.
Here is small sample from the Roanoke Times......

edit on 1-7-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: sp

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Households, even worse.

Hey i'm not saying that we dont have damage from storms, ofcourse we do, but it's trees uprooted and falling on houses, cars, etc.

Rolling power outages resulting in deaths because of crap infrastructure ain't a part of it.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

reply to post by nightstalker78

"Won't last long"

12 deaths last time i checked, hasn't it been long enough yet?

And no, not bashing America, just pointing out the obvious hypocriscy of a country that's waging wars all over the globe just to keep their MIC economy going while unemployment is skyrocketing because there "are no jobs"

How many jobs you think it would create if the USA decided to improve their infrastructure?

And what does the size of your country have to do with it? If 4 million people are affected you can't tell me this is happening in some largely uninhabited farming/forest zone with hardly any infrastructure that might have missed some maintanance.

Fix your country before trying to fix the world IMO (or am i bashing America again now?)

Again,# happens.Even here in the US.Storms occur.Sometimes people die.Look up some of the major hurricanes that come through here.Or perhaps all the tornadoes that hit the midwest.

Keep the wars and unemployment out of this thread.They have nothing to with storms knocking out power to people's homes.Yes,4 million people were affected.But it was over 4 or 5 states.Which,if you do your research,is a much bigger area than your country.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I don't need to "do my research" to know that my country is about as big as the state of New York, i know my own country.

I also know what my country is good and bad at but somehow Americans never want to see pointed out what sucks about THEIR country.

I only brought up the wars after you called me an America basher. How is it not backwards that your own infrastructure (and not just electrical) is going to crap while the military budget just keeps growing and trillions are pumped into a ponzi scheme called the banks? (thats YOUR money, remember? The same tax dollars that should make sure you have a decent infrastructure around you)

It would cause some serious upheavel here if the people wouldn't have electricity because of some strong winds while government spending keep growing.

But for the Americans, it's just stuff that "happens"

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   

I also know what my country is good and bad at but somehow Americans never want to see pointed out what sucks about THEIR country.

Because they're too proud and brainwashed into thinking that their country is the best in the world.
And i guess most americans just don't care, they always lived with power failure, it's part of their lives, they don't know it any better, so they say "it's not a problem"

What would happen, if something like this would occur here in Europe? I imagine when they say "A heavy storm comes, power outtages are expected" and then 4 million homes are left without electricity, people would be on the streets protesting and demonstrating for something better.
Yet americans rather sit on their fat asses, maybe cry about it on in the internet or are in complete denial about the problems - and then they wonder why they get fed with fake food, the government does whatever they want

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I think this is funny.... when the nor'easter hit New England not one news organization even mentioned it for days after we were already in the dark and freezing, it was only about 8 days in that anyone took notice that people were dying, but have one hit around DC and it's national news?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Having a quick look on google maps it seems like alot of America is still on trashcan transformers on poles and with most of the main network supply still over. as well so its hardly suprising that when the wind blows the wires come down and its lights out, over the years here in the uk we've been burying our power cables as while its more expensive to do than over. it works out cheaper as theres less faults due to environmental problems and also people trying to sue the electricity companies over the fact they have a child with problems and its due to over. lines

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The White House has been trying to push policies to update the nation's power grid system with a 'smart grid'. The only problem is how costly it is, between $300-500 billion dollars. This country is already broke but something needs to be done!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Romekje

That would be 25% of my country's population.

You have a small country.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85

Because they're too proud and brainwashed into thinking that their country is the best in the world.
And i guess most americans just don't care, they always lived with power failure, it's part of their lives, they don't know it any better, so they say "it's not a problem"

What would happen, if something like this would occur here in Europe? I imagine when they say "A heavy storm comes, power outtages are expected" and then 4 million homes are left without electricity, people would be on the streets protesting and demonstrating for something better.
Yet americans rather sit on their fat asses, maybe cry about it on in the internet or are in complete denial about the problems - and then they wonder why they get fed with fake food, the government does whatever they want

You gotta be kidding me.

No, the average American after a natural disaster, and we have to deal with a lot, is more resilient than most people can imagine, we help one another dig out, you two don't have a clue.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Really? Brainwashed? I see you are from Germany so I assume you know a bit of history about your own country. Do I need to point out what happened back in the '40s?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I live about 10 minutes outside of Baltimore, MD. Currently posting via iPhone in my dark, cool basement. Certainly not very prepared, probably like most common folk. I have a LED lantern which I'm saving energy with, as well as a flashlight. I have two puppies, 1 and 2 year old brothers that are not enjoying the heat at all. They do not like being upstairs where it is about 85 degrees. It's probably just about 70 downstairs so it is comfortable, but I'm concerned about the predicted 97 degrees by 3 pm. The heat index Friday was near 108, all humidity.

As of yesterday I heard there is about 500,000 outages in MD, just hearsay nothing official but by the looks of things, it sounds right. I live at the intersection of three of the richest counties in the U.S (Howard, Montgomery, Anne Arundel) and Baltimore. The places that do have power are swamped, friends have told me of two hour waits at diners. The hotels have no vacancy and the malls that do have power are filled with people just looking for air conditioning. There is nearly a scare in the air as BGE has reported to many people that the power will not return until Friday or later.

I'm going to ride it out, hooking up generators to run the refrigerators and fans. I'm on city water so I will be able to drink and shower. To anyone else involved, take care and God Bless.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Actually it would be 100% since it's 4 million households and not people.

so 16M people give or take a few.

And yes, from north to south it's about 300km long, and 200km wide +/-

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I remember one winter storm that hit upstate NY, no power for 2 and a half weeks. We had to sleep in the livingroom with the fireplace going, keeping shifts to make sure it didn't go out. That sucked.

No AC is way better than having no heat when it is like 20 below freezing. Doesn't anyone go outside in the summer anymore? Does everyone just stay inside their AC bubble now? It's 96 degrees here, I am off to the beach, have a nice day

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I live in southern Va, trees were down everywhere. Phones were out for a day, we were all lucky we didn't lose power. Seen some people here with different suggestions, the truth is some people can't afford a generator. And with us hitting over 100 degrees at times it is dangerous to live without ac. This all due to wind alone. Things have changed dramatically weather-wise in just the last 15 years.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Went through this down south last year after tornadoes hit us pretty hard. Hope everyone stays safe!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

You gotta be kidding me.

No, the average American after a natural disaster, and we have to deal with a lot, is more resilient than most people can imagine, we help one another dig out, you two don't have a clue.

So true, just this evening one of the neighbor kids ran to every house in our very small area and warned everyone another storm was coming.I bet you won't find that kinda sense of community in Europe

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

"You gotta be kidding me.

No, the average American after a natural disaster, and we have to deal with a lot, is more resilient than most people can imagine, we help one another dig out, you two don't have a clue."

First, there is a lot of good ideas here, especially to check on your neighbors. Not everyone knows hoe to live without power!

To the above poster, I remember when Katrina hit, people were shooting at helicopters bringing in aid. That has stuck in my mind as an indicator of what happens in the US when things go wrong. I hope you are right and people will pull together but Katrina showed the ugly side as well!

P

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
7/2/12 1:14 am another giant storm cell is hitting out area. there are still tens of thousandes without power and another storm with 70 mph straight line winds is coming through! Right Now...

www.wxii12.com...

forecast.weather.gov... ment

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 130 AM EDT
FOR THE CITY OF MARTINSVILLE... EASTERN PATRICK...WESTERN
PITTSYLVANIA...SOUTHERN ROANOKE...HENRY...FRANKLIN...FLOYD AND
SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY COUNTIES...

AT 1259 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO
INDICATE A LINE OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING
DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH. THESE STORMS WERE LOCATED
ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM BENT MOUNTAIN TO BUFFALO RIDGE...OR ALONG
A LINE EXTENDING FROM BENT MOUNTAIN TO WOOLWINE...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT
50 MPH.