It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UPDATE) Power out to 4 million homes on east coast of US; small taste of life without electric!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Copy/paste from the other thread about this:

A good portion of my city is without power, estimates at 40,000 out of 100,000. My family woke up this morning to a fallen tree blocking our driveway. My work was closed for the day due to no power and most businesses are closed also. At around 3 P.M. we tried to go get gas for our vehicle and out of the few gas stations open, they were all out of unleaded.

It was 100 Degrees today here, but felt even hotter. My grandparents have no power, and my grandpa was outside for only a few minutes and almost passed out. The news is now saying the residents could be without power until July 7th. With Roanoke being one of the biggest crime cities in Virginia (it was number 1 in the early 2000's) things could turn ugly here. I'm just thankful my family has power and my grandparents have a place to come to if things don't get back to normal soon. There are also numerous "cooling stations" opened in town for citizens to go to for a place to relax. I just hope FEMA isn't called in

Update: This is the exact time last night the storm started up, and it is stirring up again. This time there is literally no wind, but plenty of sick lightning from the same direction as the night before. Flashes in the sky every few seconds. I'll try and keep you updated, but may not be up for long (Power has been restored at work and they want me there at 6 A.M.; may just tell them I have no power this time haha)
edit on 30/6/12 by Skript420 because: Added update

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
wtf ?

last year I was without power for 6 days, and then 8 days

hellooooooooooo

that was no small taste, that was thanksgiving dinner

you know what ? neighbors helped each other and we survived

humans are good at that

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
Just imagine, no power means you can't get on ATS!

NOT, I have 3 generators and I use an wireless since it is more than half a mile back a private road

unless the grid goes down the I'll have to go CB or shortwave, but the tower is not up....

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
People survived for like a billion years without electricity. I have lived without AC now for almost 7 years. It's not the most comfortable at times, but it's not the end of the world.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Of course it isn't, but most people can't live without electricity. No internet, no t.v., no ac. That's enough to make people go nuts these days.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It is a double whammy here because without power there is no AC. Record highs in many areas having over 100 degree heat are making this storm period excruciating...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skript420

The only thing that really bugs me when it comes to power outages is no water pump. I gotta get me some fancy manual pump to pressurize the system, and I will be a happy camper. Rain barrels work for refilling the tiolette tanks, don't help for showers and drinking though

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
How can the USA call themselves a developped nation if a stormfront causes 4 MILLION people to lose power?

That would be 25% of my country's population.

Is the USA really turning into a 3rd world country this fast?

Don't take this as USA bashing i'm just dumbfounded by this, especially coming from a country that just spent TRILLIONS (i remember the day when i never even heard of a trillion) on bailing out wallstreet criminals.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You make a great point, OP. A common summer thunderstorm will become a vicious superstorm on a regular basis.

I don't think our emisions are helping matters either...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
This is an indication of how fragile our current [energy] infrastructure us. The key is to begin getting people off the grid en masse. There's a HOST of emerging alternative energy tech that will completely change the way we live, as well as take a burden off of the 3rd world countries who are struggling.

Some of these would be:

Leonardo Corp. (Rossi's LENR reactors)
Blacklight Power
Defkalion Green Technologies
Brillouin Energy

And many more. Some of which are beginning mass-production before this year's end. This is the start of another paradigm shift that the big oil barons & other elitist old-world psychopaths are not fond of.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
We got some of it here. It was the strangest storm I've ever been in. It came through with very liyyle rain or lightening but insane wind. I was actually taking a walk to the gas station only a quarter mile from my house and it hit when I was right in the middle. I wasn't worried but then a tree fell feet in front of me and a wall of black came over with the wind. I panicked because I was certain it was a tornado coming through and went into a panicky fight or flight ( in retrospect I felt a bit foolish but the wind was so hard and the dirt picked up coming over the tree truly felt like a small tornado just feet from me) so I ran across the highway (on the otherside I freaked out because I realized I had done it without looking and could've been killed) and jumped under a bridge on the highway while the wind whipped. After seeing it wasn't a tornado ipopped up and ran back to the house. It lasted about ten minutes with barely any rain. I saw tranformers exploding and trees falling everwhere. When it was done there was massive damage and thousands of people without power. We had generator and camped outside for the night where it was cool (our power was back today), but some less prepared people have it worse. Others are out of power. With estimations that they won't have it til july 6th. It was kinda nice going out driving and seeing so many people out and about driving to get out of the boredome and heat of their homes (100 degree day). Lots of people staying in hotels were in their cars in the parking lots . Strange weather for sure. I live towards the country so people seem to handle it pretty easily. Most have generators despite the rarity of an incident like this.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I would be wary of the drinking water so boil it before drinking. On uTube there is a video of how to make solar lights from plastic coke bottles and I'm assuming many have BBQs for cooking.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

I agree without all of us connected to their grid they lose power and control over the people. I see where our government doesn't want people to be independent. I can understand some of the reasons especially if you live in a city. Out here in the country it is much better because I could make open pit fire if needed for cooking as if I was camping. Have well water and a creek nearby on our property for flushing...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I would be wary of the drinking water so boil it before drinking. On uTube there is a video of how to make solar lights from plastic coke bottles and I'm assuming many have BBQs for cooking.

Sparked my curiosity with that plastic bottle statement!

Too bad these vids ain't as useful during an outage as they are while the power is on.
Thanks!

edit on (7/1/1212 by loveguy because: brokenleggedthingymajigdamit

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok2day

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
No power out for me lol. Lots of sun to power the solar panels lmao...

I expected nothing less from you , a gloating egotistical statement how you will avoid the suffering while the elderly and young suffer . You are one great humanitarian we can only hope your panels take a direct strike from the next storm so we can put LOL and lmao at your woes .

Do I sense jealousy because he's prepared? Going solar is a little expensive but in the long run, it saves a LOT in these kinds of circumstances. Maybe take a note from him and look into doing it yourself and for your own loved ones

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Here is a list of the expected restoration dates for counties in Virginia and West Virginia. The number of AEP customers without power has increased by about 35,000.

RESTORATION ESTIMATES

Estimates are based on damage assessment and may change if significant new damage is discovered or additional storms cause further outages.

VIRGINIA:

Tuesday night, July 3 - Floyd County; Wednesday night, July 4 - Bland, Carroll, Giles, Grayson, Pulaski, Wythe counties; Thursday night, July 5 - portions of Bedford, Franklin, Henry and Pittsylvania counties; Friday night, July 6 - Albemarle, Nelson and Patrick counties; Saturday night, July 7 - Amherst County, as well as portions of Bedford, Botetourt, Campbell and Roanoke counties

WEST VIRGINIA:

Tuesday night, July 3 - Lincoln County; Wednesday night, July 4 - Wayne, County; Thursday night, July 5 - Fayette, Jackson, Logan, Mason, Mingo, Raleigh and Wyoming counties; Friday night, July 6 - Cabell, Kanawha, McDowell, Mercer, Putnam, Summers and Wayne counties; Saturday night, July 7 - Boone and Clay counties, as well as some remote portions of Kanawha County.

pdated storm details from AEPs website

www.appalachianpower.com... 29 -- Severe Summer Storm -- Virginia

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romekje
How can the USA call themselves a developped nation if a stormfront causes 4 MILLION people to lose power?

That would be 25% of my country's population.

Is the USA really turning into a 3rd world country this fast?

Don't take this as USA bashing i'm just dumbfounded by this, especially coming from a country that just spent TRILLIONS (i remember the day when i never even heard of a trillion) on bailing out wallstreet criminals.

Posts like this crack me up.Anything to bash America.Do you not realize how big the US is?

Summer storms happen all the time.Yeah,4 million is a lot of people without power but it won't last long.

What,is the US immune to severe storms? Someone forgot to tell me.

# happens,even here.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=A_powerful_windstorm_rips_down_power_lines_-_4_million_households_without_power__ 12_dead_30_06_2012?ref=ccbox_weather_topstories

New Brunswick,, Cape Breton,, etc,, could be next,,

www.theweathernetwork.com...&stormfile=Mudslide_causes_power_outages_in_New_Brunswick_28_06_2012?ref=ccbox_weather_categ ory1

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   
same system,,will be for the whole summer,,starting last year,,?
yup

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

"Won't last long"

12 deaths last time i checked, hasn't it been long enough yet?

And no, not bashing America, just pointing out the obvious hypocriscy of a country that's waging wars all over the globe just to keep their MIC economy going while unemployment is skyrocketing because there "are no jobs"

How many jobs you think it would create if the USA decided to improve their infrastructure?

And what does the size of your country have to do with it? If 4 million people are affected you can't tell me this is happening in some largely uninhabited farming/forest zone with hardly any infrastructure that might have missed some maintanance.

Fix your country before trying to fix the world IMO (or am i bashing America again now?)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join