It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(UPDATE) Power out to 4 million homes on east coast of US; small taste of life without electric!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Last night about 11 pm a storm front moved through our area here in SW Virginia knocking out power to more than 200,000 homes in Virginia. The storm front knocked out power from Ohio into North Carolina.

some may ask why is this important? This is the largest non-hurricane power outage in the history of Virginia and it is just a small taste of what would happen if an EMP or solar flare would knock out power. Roanoke City and Roanoke county have more than 56,000 homes without power. there are no hotel rooms left and some people are traveling 90-100 miles to find a place to stay. Grocery store and supermarkets without power have closed and Kroger corporation is moving food out of two stores and they are using refrigerator trailers to keep them in.

the straight line winds were in excess of 75 mph and downed trees and power lines. there have been six reported deaths due to the storm and a volunteer fire fighter in Boones Mill, VA is in critical condition after he went to rescue people in a car trapped by falling trees only to have another tree fall on him.

We have electric and internet; my sister in Bedford County had electric while my mother does not she is staying with my sister. My fiancées (engaged for 20 years) so, my wife's mother age 90, her sister, age 92 are getting heat related symptoms and will not leave her home in Roanoke so we are taking them to the basement where it is cooler. I will taking one of my generators up there in the morning if power has not been restored.

The water is still on but I don't know if the sewer plant is online so I don't know how long it will take before the crap backs up. But since this an emergency they might just flush it into the Roanoke River!

any way I thought since this is such a big outage that it would be a small taste of what would happen

Roanoke Times

American Electric Power outage page

AEP power outage map

www.chron.com...

ABC News
edit on 30-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: clarification

edit on 30-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: updated

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Is it 2 million or 2 hundred thousand? The title and thread read differently.

But then I see this:

www.appalachianpower.com...

During the late evening hours of June 29, winds in excess of 75 miles-per-hour combined with heavy rain to cause outages to more than 566,000 Appalachian Power customers across the company's West Virginia and Virginia service territory.

This looks serious enough with 50 sub stations down but a multi-day ETA on repairs in this heat is going to result in some deaths IMO.

More than 50 substations are out of service, indicating there may be considerable damage to the company's transmission system. Assessors are patrolling the company's transmission system by helicopter today to determine the extent of damage. Although an overall restoration estimate based on ongoing damage assessment will be given later today, it is clear this is a multi-day restoration effort.

Either way, still bad in this weather.

Peace

edit on 30-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I know it doesn't really help anyone but it has to be said.

For the US government to have such a big mouth they surely set up an incredibly poor infrastructure.

Wasn't there something a few years ago where one powerplant failed which caused several others to fail and a few million people didn't have power for a several days?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I think we are up to 4 million without power and 12 dead.

Violent evening storms following a day of triple-digit temperatures wiped out power to at least 4 million people across the eastern United States and caused at least 12 fatalities. At least six of them were in Virginia - including a 90-year-old woman asleep in bed when a tree slammed into her home, a police spokeswoman said Saturday.

www.weather.com...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

2 million+ on the east coast; 200,000+ in Virginia

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
I think we are up to 4 million without power and 12 dead.

Violent evening storms following a day of triple-digit temperatures wiped out power to at least 4 million people across the eastern United States and caused at least 12 fatalities. At least six of them were in Virginia - including a 90-year-old woman asleep in bed when a tree slammed into her home, a police spokeswoman said Saturday.

www.weather.com...

I would imagine that these numbers might grow because of updated reporting

Thank You, I have updated the headline
edit on 30-6-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: add content

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swizzy
IWasn't there something a few years ago where one powerplant failed which caused several others to fail and a few million people didn't have power for a several days?

Yeah, the official story went something like that. We were without power for almost 3 days. It was lovely. It was a pain the first day, we kept waiting for it to go on. By the time we woke up, we realized we might not have power for a while, though part of the grid got it back right away.

The afternoon of the second day my neighbourhood fired up the barbeques and we all cleaned our fridges and freezers of meat and vegetables that would be going bad. Lots of steak, burgers and devilled eggs. Best street party I have ever been to. Best thing that ever happenned to my community. We got to know people we had never spoke to, and had a lot of real old fashioned fun.

Not to say, when the lights were back on we didn't all head in to check our email, but I still know everyone's name.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
With temperatures rising to 100+ this situation can be even worse! Check on your elderly neighbors to make sure they're okay. It's amazing how lost we'd be without power if a solar flare hits; no ATMs, no pumping gas, etc..

Hope all you storm victims stay safe out there!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
No power out for me lol. Lots of sun to power the solar panels lmao...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
What about if everyone needs to turn on their air-conditioner on high this summer? Will that cause roving blackouts?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
maybe the storm wasn't just a storm and in this case and the power was shut-off purposely so everything that is out of place can be removed; a three days of darkness scenario.

i experienced one of these last year in Alabama when the power went out for about 4 days and when they came back on...bin Laden was dead.

honestly, in that situation, the storm didn't seem bad enough for the power to shut down because of it but that was the story that was told.

guess i'll have to wait until all the power is restored over the next 48 hours and if someone powerful is no longer alive, then i'll know its just a cover.
edit on 30-6-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
That would explain why I had a weird dream of a power outage last night. I also dreamed of the Colorado fire. I am getting more and more plugged into the collective unconscious.

Anyway, my thoughts and prayers go out to all the people in the dark.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

Our American infrastructure is outdated. I don't mean a few years outdated. I mean several decades outdated.

But every time someone tries to do something about it, a certain group of people in Congress start screaming about "Gummint Waste" and "Howz we gone pay fo dis ?"

And , here we see the repercussions of neglect. It's just a matter of time before we're all in the same situation.

edit on 30-6-2012 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

Yeah that's exactly what I think. However outrageously much it would cost to update the infrastructure it sure as hell wouldn't cost as much as a couple of wars?

You'd think the people in charge have more sense. Spend money in your own country first!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
No power out for me lol. Lots of sun to power the solar panels lmao...

I expected nothing less from you , a gloating egotistical statement how you will avoid the suffering while the elderly and young suffer . You are one great humanitarian we can only hope your panels take a direct strike from the next storm so we can put LOL and lmao at your woes .

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Just imagine, no power means you can't get on ATS!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7
What about if everyone needs to turn on their air-conditioner on high this summer? Will that cause roving blackouts?

It's possible, especially since half the country is experiencing unusually high temperatures already. We are told in Texas to refrain from using the oven, dishwasher, washer/dryer between 3-7 (which are the hottest hours for us) My thermostat is at 78 most of the time.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Why not just buy a generator?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My thoughts & prayers go out to those who are suffering in these hot temps...

Our power went out in the winter of '02 (ice storm) and was out for six days. Not to mention that the sun came out and melted the ice in the morning after the storm, and no idea why it was 5 days after that for the power. The temps weren't too bad and only the night and mornings were cold.
I sure hope they get their power soon.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

No, I don't think so from looking at the storm damage on the way to the mother-in-laws in Roanoke. There were about 10 trees across US 220 a four lane highway; Roanoke City is about half and half with some of the city dark. The mother-in-laws neighborhood has trees down it seemed like every 4 blocks and on the side streets I could see where the road was closed and a power line was hanging down. Going out Yellow Mountain Rd there was a tree still leaning on power lines taking up half the road. There are 3-4 inches thick tree limbs down everywhere....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join