It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has the speediest pulsar been found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I love this stuff, sounds like Star Trek, or at least us catching up with Star Trek.

The Chandra image shown in the inset ("Chandra Close-up") reveals a comet-shaped X-ray source well outside the boundary of the supernova remnant.

you gotta love that it's "comet shaped"

Based on earlier observations, astronomers estimate that the age of MSH 11-61A, as it appears in the image, is approximately 15,000 years, and it lies at a distance of about 30,000 light-years away from Earth.

Although I wish better names would be given to these things...something like "turbo-QUAR 69", but still....not that old in terms of relative time and space...just a baby.

here is the SOURCE

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
What is the story behind the GIF in your avatar?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I use to drive a Pulsar. I must say, it was quite speedy, especially when you took off the T-tops.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

No real story, I just did a series of shots with my son, and made a gif....I just liked the way the girl appears with a basket ball as he's throwing the soccer ball.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
You'll like this.
The Sound of Pulsars
it's mind altering how fast something the mass of a star can rotate.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Hey thanks a ton for that link, that was Amazing...plus I'm now addicted to the site

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Amazing to know that even while understanding the forces at work, that this pulsar doesn't spin itself apart at that speed of rotation! I wonder what this one "sounds" like compared to the rest. At that speed, it must be like listening to a very high pitched mosquito. Although I must say, Vela is my favorite, she's very hypnotic to listen to.

I run Einstein@Home via the BOINC program, which analyzes data from the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO), Aricebo, and the Fermi gamma-ray satellite to search for pulsars. While it's not crucial for my participation in the data crunching, I'd love it if my computers were someday one of the ones that discovered an unknown pulsar

posted on Jul, 5 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

I'd love it if my computers were someday one of the ones that discovered an unknown pulsar

That would be awesome, good luck.

top topics

join