It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out Of Curiousity, What Would You Do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So I have been watching old episodes of MacGyver on Netflix. It has been ages since I watched it and figured for old times sake I would check it out. Anyway, while watching MacGyver I came to notice something that I have seen time and time again in movies and tv shows.

The scenario. You have gotten into something you had no business being in or say you got robbed at gun point. You have done everything your assailant has asked of you, and then you realize that they have no intentions of letting you live. So he has a gun, knife, or weapon of choice pointed at you. He/She then orders you to do something that you know is going to kill you and very well maybe more painful or worse then a bullet.

So the question is what would you do? Would you A. Follow instructions as told and pray that you somehow find a way out before you are dead. B. Attempt to run or disarm your assailant? or C. Say screw you shoot me then.

This query comes from watching two episodes of MacGyver. One where the gunmen forced them into a freezer by gun point to freeze to death (thinking the bullet would be better) and Two another set of gunmen force them into the back of a garbage truck and turn the crusher thing on..... And it occurred to me that I have seen similar incidents in movies and other places.

So thought I would throw it out there to see what others say.

I say I would fight.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It seems the natural tendency is to take the course of action that leads to less immediate death. If the victim has complied with any demand, the attacker has pretty much dominated the situation.
In other words, McGuyver's screwed himself by not fighting back at the first opportunity.
edit on 30-6-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

I didn't think of it like that. That does actually make sense, but I mean if you know you are going to die it seems insane that you would just voluntarily make the death worse lol. As for MacGyver he always finds a way out of anything lol, but still yea.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
as a martial artist I practice situational awareness in the most mundane of environments.
i'd be aware of a gunman from a distance 95% of the time and GTFO of there.

in the odd case that I wouldn't, I would wait till he was close enough to get the gun past my body and then I would just go bezerk on his eyes, throat, testes with precision strikes as fast as humanly possible and then GTFO.

either way, if i'm dying, it's on my own terms.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

I personally would use self defense. I would use a front snap kick and perhaps a roundhouse kick and knock the weapon out of the perpetrator's hands; kick it away and then run and pick it up and point it at the assailant....that is what I would do.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
In many of these circumstances you can actually talk your way out, you just have to find a chord to strike in the assailant. Use any opportunity you provide yourself to debilitate the assailant with a closed knuckle throat strike and like my friend above said GTFO, lol.

If escape is not an option then please refer to my signature.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven83
In many of these circumstances you can actually talk your way out, you just have to find a chord to strike in the assailant. Use any opportunity you provide yourself to debilitate the assailant with a closed knuckle throat strike and like my friend above said GTFO, lol.

If escape is not an option then please refer to my signature.

Talking your way out of it's a possibility, if you know what you're doing. But if the attacker is mentally stronger and you show any sign of fear, you'd become less inclined to fight rather quickly.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I would fight...most people are bad shots and I know self-defense so I would at least try to kick his butt. Better to die being proactive than crying on the ground begging for your life. And always if someone orders you into a car or they will shoot you- resist! Better to be shot on a public sidewalk than to be dragged off alone for them to do heaven-knows-what to you at their leisure.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
My mom was telling me tonight actually that she learned from a self defense class if someone jumps in your car with a gun and tells you to drive somewhere that the best thing to do is slam on the gas and run into something.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
If I'm going, I'm not going alone!

join