It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Genius Of Religion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Sam harris has done many debates with christian applogists about the origins of morality. His book is called The Moral Landscape.

Your belief that without god there are no morals... is amazingly ignorant.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

So the only 2 options for having children behave themselves are supernatural punishment and physical abuse?

Sounds like the reasoning of a poorly educated parent with emotional problems.
edit on 30-6-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Because you aren't bodies...You are spirits that have bodies...You are a god in ruins, who has lowered himself to the material world, which is why you are still here.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
There is no genius in religion, there is stupidity in man (and weakness).

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Why would you use those examples then? No need to be crude.

Because I was giving a clear cut demonstration of exactly the behaviors I was referring to. Not all homeless people live in cardboard boxes, but when you think of the word homeless, you see a man sitting on the corner with a sign saying, "Will Work For Food", or something similar.

If I can get past the labels you used, and I jump into your christian mindset, I believe you are trying to state that it is necessary for an atheist systematize or control the chaos in his life, while the christian doesn't have to because god does it for him. Is this correct?

I'm not Christian. I am, however, able to see the advantages in being a Christian. The problem arises when there are more disadvantages than advantages.

Sounds like you are trying to decide whether to buy a diesel or gas car, rather than a life altering decision that you are facing...

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

That's the result of removing emotion from the equation. If survival is the main concern (and today, it usually is) then it matters not how we feel about it, but how it treats us in the long run.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Originally posted by CB328
There is no genius in religion, there is stupidity in man (and weakness).

So there is no strength in adjusting for your own weakness? That is what religion is. Recognizing your flaws, and adjusting your lifestyle so as to prevent any disasters those flaws may incur. There are many things we cannot control, but ourselves we can.

Additionally, worrying over the things that do not matter is also detrimental. That new Ferrari will do you no good on your death bed, but thinking of the people you have loved and touched makes your passing much more comfortable. Religion teaches us this, but in more complicated parables...a teaching device used in a time when milk was offered to appease the pestilence fairies.

Everything has weaknesses. The point is to learn how to live despite those flaws, and learn to overcome them. If you believe that making up for your weakness is, in itself, a stupid or weak effort, then how will you ever grow? After all, that is how you learned to walk as a child!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Sam harris has done many debates with christian applogists about the origins of morality. His book is called The Moral Landscape.

Your belief that without god there are no morals... is amazingly ignorant.

Ah, this coming from the person who does not understand how killing a god can destroy man's hope...

Tell me, when you see a murder, does your abhorrence stem from your brain or your heart? Science is in the brain, spirit is in the heart. While religion states in no unspecific terms what is right and what is wrong, science will spend all day deciding where to draw the line between murder and man slaughter. That is because for every instance something may be considered wrong, there are a dozen other instances involving the same sort of event where a similar reaction would be questioned. If an innocent man should live at the cost of many other innocent people, whom would you allow to die?

We know something is wrong because of the law. We FEEL something is wrong because of our morals. And in truth, religion itself is a form of law. Even Christian laws are broken at times, because there ARE NO ABSOLUTE MORALS.
edit on 1-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join