It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Annan Urged to Pull U.N. Staff From Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
While the war on terror is the hot topic in the 2004 Presidential Election, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan has been urged to pull all staff from Iraq. Annan pulled all U.N. international staff out of Iraq a year ago, following two bombings at U.N. headquarters in Baghdad and a spate of attacks on humanitarian workers. A small UN contingent returned to Iraq in August, 2004, but appeals have been made for more people to help Janurary elections.

news.yahoo.com
In a joint letter to Annan, the staff organizations cited a dramatic escalation in attacks in Iraq and said the United Nations regrettably "has become a direct target, one that is particularly prone to attacks by ruthless extremist terrorist factions."

"Just one staff member is one staff member too many in Iraq," they said. "We ... appeal to your good judgment to ensure that no further staff members be sent to Iraq and that those already deployed be instructed to leave as soon as possible."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Last night in the Vice Presidential debate, as well as in the Presidential debate, the Kerry camp has called for establishing new ties with allies. This news, if it indeed will happen, could put a strain on Kerrys plan. Kerry would not be the only one hurt by this, President Bush's plan is to have free elections in Janurary, Non-international support during the elections would leave the sole responsibility on The US. Whilst feelings towards the West are sometimes more unfavorable than not, this could make it worse for why The US is there.

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 6-10-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This sounds exactly like what is happening in Afghanistan the security is so poor and the direct attacks to the humanitarian workers are too much for these people to handle.

Plus coallition forces are spread too thing.

But Iraq is a "better place" without Sadam evil regime and we are doing the "right" thing.

You know if you repeat that long enough it starts to make you believe it too.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
You know if you repeat that long enough it starts to make you believe it too.

I've heard it enough and still do not believe

I believe Saddam was a threat, but not one that could attack or invade another country. Since the end of the Gulf war, he had not attempted, or threatened, to invade another country. I think North Korea, and Iran were (even still) more than a threat than Saddam was, yet we are not invading them.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You know I am glad you brought up this post, and I think is very important and it shows the realities of everyday business in Iraq but as you can see, the true is not what some wants to hear.

They want to believe that everything is peachy in Iraq and that the next elections are going to be the first step toward democracy.

Look at Afghanistan unresolved business and no elections and no bin-laden.

Iraq is not safe is a mess and that is a fact.

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What did the UN expect when they oversaw the Oil For Food Program, in which they took part robbing the Iraqi people of over $10Billion????

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Utopian ideals get you nowhere except dead. The world is a very harsh and nasty place (watch any nature documentary). In order to survive and maintain some sense of peace and stability, one must try to be the biggest and meanest wolf in one's own neck of the woods. Otherwise, you WOULD eventually be overrun.

You enjoy your new cars and your big screen TVs, your comfortable clothes, your nice computers and your good food. I bet you never go to bed hungry unless it's by choice. If you desire to do so, you can get a great education (both basic and higher). All of these fine things are provided through war and the oppression of other peoples. Your freedom is made possible by this system as well. This is the way that civilization has worked since it's dawn over 5,000 years ago. If you don't like it, then your best bet is to give up your life as a citizen in the free world and move to an island or other remote area far from what we like to call civilization.

You talk about people not wanting to accept the truth... the truth is... mother nature is cold and uncaring more often than not. Life isn't fair. This is not nearly the first war that the Western world has been involved in and will most certainly not be the last. I could never make the decisions necessary to provide a good life to me and mine, so I'm glad that there ARE people who can make such decisions. Even the wolf plays a VITAL role in the ecosystem. Let us not forget that.

top topics

join