It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida vies to be America’s drone capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
In an attempt to create jobs in Florida, officials are spending millions of dollars to attract big federal contracts in the wake of NASA cutbacks.

Move over, Disney World. The demand for drones is expected to be so high during the next few years that the state of Florida is devoting a large chunk of funding in hopes of someday being the country’s hub for unmanned aerial vehicles.

With some experts saying that America’s airspace will host 30,000 drones by 2020, manufacturers of the unmanned robotic planes are pushing to produce as many of the UAVs as they can while interest is only beginning to be on the rise. Soon the United States will settle on just six test sites across the country to try out the tiny aircraft, though, and Florida officials say they hope they make the final cut.

“The skies over Florida will look dramatically different in the years to come,” Space Florida President Frank DiBello told an audience of aerospace professionals earlier this June, reports Florida Today. By earmarking as much as $1.4 million towards accommodating a possible drone program, DiBello’s Space Florida hopes that the government will include the Sunshine State on their shortlist of federally-approved testing sites, a decision set to be determined by the end of the year.

“We’re positioning Florida with a foothold in a new industry,”DiBello told his board of directors, the outlet reports. “This is a thing that’s good for the evolution of the aerospace industry in the state and we need to take that action and move on it.”

This is an example of chasing the all-mighty dollar at the expense of the people. We could soon have the Orwellian country of our nightmares and these greedy SOB’s can’t move fast enough to deliver it!

“In five or ten years you have 30,000 drones in the airspace,” Todd Humphreys from the University of Texas at Austin Radionavigation Laboratory tells Fox News. “Each one of these could be a potential missile used against us.”

The implications of the use of drones over American skies are real and terrifying, yet Florida is moving forward despite the concerns from many.

“Ultimately, we have the same concerns about privacy that everyone else has,” Gielow tells Florida Today. “However, we believe that this new technology offers an incredible potential for the public good.”
Article

Why are potential VP pick Marco Rubio and other prominent Florida politicians silent on this issue?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well, this is going to ruin my plans.

I was hoping to move to Florida, wear pants up to my chest, suspenders on my socks, and complain about the Government.

Seriously though, Florida or where ever doesn't matter, it's the acceptance of the Drones thats the concern.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Other states are quickly following suit. The governor of Virginia recently said he’s all for it!

One such individual who has embraced the disturbing use of drones in the United States is Bob McDonnell, the Governor of Virginia, who is also a retired Lieutenant Colonel with the U.S. Army.

McDonnell claimed that police drones flying over Virginia would not only be “great” but also “the right thing to do.”
link

I'm not sure there will be a safe (or drone free) place to move!!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well, Florida being a solidly GOP state, they would never agree to this, right?

/sarcasm

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I don’t worship at the altar of the GOP, chief!

I’m a conservative! Florida isn’t conservative!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I don’t worship at the altar of the GOP, chief!

I didnt imply you were, chief.

I'm merely noting the irony of so many GOP governors being so pro-drone. What happened to their whole 'limited government' thing? Was that just a fad after Obama was elected?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm merely noting the irony of so many GOP governors being so pro-drone. What happened to their whole 'limited government' thing? Was that just a fad after Obama was elected?

I would assume the same thing that happened to democrats; they’ve been bought.

Besides, isn’t the GOP known for being hawks and catering to the military industrial complex? Why is this shocking to anyone?

I didn’t make this thread about politics….this is an American issue that affects us all. I just think it’s odd that a guy who has had his name mentioned for VP (Rubio) wouldn’t be speaking out against this issue. I guess he's bought and paid for already too.

I don't think there's an honest person left in DC! They're all in it for themselves.

edit on 30-6-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Besides, isn’t the GOP known for being hawks and catering to the military industrial complex? Why is this shocking to anyone?

I didn’t make this thread about politics….this is an American issue that affects us all. I just think it’s odd that a guy who has had his name mentioned for VP (Rubio) wouldn’t be speaking out against this issue. I guess he's bought and paid for already too.

Fair points. There are many freshman Republicans who are voicing their concern over this stuff. I just find it rather noteworthy in this age of rhetoric from thee GOP about their 'limited government' values that so many GOP governors are embracing drones.
edit on 30-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

There are many freshman Republicans who are voicing their concern over this stuff.

We need more freshman republicans!!!

I’m doing my part to help that cause, for sure.

I just find it rather noteworthy in this age of rhetoric from the GOP about their 'limited government' values that so many GOP governors are embracing drones.

That’s the thing though…the GOP just pays lip service to conservative values such as limited government because they need conservative votes. The truth is they HATE conservatives! Rinos like McCain, Snowe, Graham, etc can’t stand conservatism at all. I just hope Romney and Rubio don't fall into that category too!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't know how I feel about this. I don't like drones in the US skies, but there is nothing I can do about it.

I do live near Cape Canaveral and have an avionics background so drones doing their thing in my backyard could yield me a nice paying job. If you can't beat them you might as well get on their payroll.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Speeding will be a thing of the past,

riots will be able to be controlled at the

end of a joy stick, enough drone power

to quiet the biggest storms. Cease and Dessist.

lives saved might be worth it, the intent might be good and well founded

we know where good intentions can leads us to. This is a important thread it marks

a monumental change in the history books of what will become of America, like it or not,
for good or bad.
S AND F OP S AND F

top topics

join