It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A web wise terror network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ok, I can't see that this link has been posted yet (but I could be wrong ...).

news.bbc.co.uk...

"A web wise terror network
By Gordon Corera
BBC security correspondent

The capture of alleged al-Qaeda computer expert Mohamed Naem Noor Khan by the Pakistani authorities in July brought with it an unprecedented haul of high-tech intelligence. "

----

I found it an interesting article. To be honest, not much of the thrust of it should come as too much of a surprise, but it's a useful and referenced summary, and one that could provoke revised debate about familiar topics such as civil liberties vs security, online privacy, should "information be free", that kind of thing.

A couple of immeditate thoughts that come to mind:

Is the risk of an unmoderated internet sufficiently outweighed by the opportunity for detection and infiltration by government agencies ?
(No question in mind on this).

-or-

Who is better served by posting material on the internet - information warfare cuts both ways after all, and often one can't tell which message is really intended for whom ... and whilst this is hardly a new strategy of course, the wide penetration of the internet gives this somewhat increased potential over it's history.

Perhaps the most interesting point (for me) tho' - is that it makes much more explicit (to, what we'll describe as the more casual observers of world events), that the internet is [now] as much of a 'battle front' as anywhere else is ...

(Hmm, patched the holes in your server OS's lately ?).

join