It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Space Telescope, NuSTAR, takes picture of black hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
NASA's newest space telescope, NuSTAR has taken it's first X-Ray picture of the Cygnus X-1 black hole system:

Cygus X-1 is a black hole with a nearby giant star. The black hole is relentlessly siphoning away material from the star. As the material falls into the black hole, large amounts of energy is produced including X-Rays. NuSTAR imaged this X-Ray radiation.

The NuSTAR telescope itself looks like this:

It's task is to look for high energy sources including black holes.

The launch of NuSTAR was done by attaching it to a Pegasus rocket which was dropped by an airplane which was then rocketed into space.

www.nustar.caltech.edu...
www.nasa.gov...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Facinating and the NuSTAR looks like something out of a science fiction movie.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Reminds me a bit of the 2001 spaceship... but still very cool!

edit on 30-6-2012 by Echotebarknwhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by digitalf
Facinating and the NuSTAR looks like something out of a science fiction movie.

You mean like the Discovery 1 spacecraft from the classic movie 2001 - A Space Odyssey?

The long mast increases the sensitivity of the telescope:

After launching into orbit on a small rocket, the NuSTAR telescope extends to achieve a 10-meter focal length. The observatory will provide a combination of sensitivity, spatial, and spectral resolution factors of 10 to 100 improved over previous missions that have operated at these X-ray energies.

www.nustar.caltech.edu...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

"Black" hole?
That thing looks orange to me. And if you look really close you can see the American flag is clearly flapping in the windless environment.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

-sigh- Really?

It is an image of the X-Rays. There-for false color. You can't see X-Rays with equipment to turn it into a picture. Which you can say, "Bright Orange is high energy. Black is devoid of energy." This is so we as humans can 'see' the energy difference. AKA: The most X-ray emitting area.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yup, the black hole itself is only 52 km (32 miles ) wide and also 15 times more massive than our sun. It would be impossible to see directly.

As the black whole consumes the neighboring star, it forms an whirlpool like disk around the black whole. Ionized matter emits X-Rays as it streams into oblivion.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe

-sigh- Really?

It is an image of the X-Rays. There-for false color. You can't see X-Rays with equipment to turn it into a picture. Which you can say, "Bright Orange is high energy. Black is devoid of energy." This is so we as humans can 'see' the energy difference. AKA: The most X-ray emitting area.

I thought for sure the part about the flag would be a dead giveaway that my reply was meant to be humorous.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Look at the focal length on that thing! That's huge!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I ask that no rude jokes are made please,

Back to the topic

top topics

join