It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual storm that blew through Northern Indiana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
journalgazette.net...

Power out to around 100,000 according to the news last night. I was driving thru Indianapolis when in front of me I saw a wall of dust/trash blowing across the highway. Just north of Indy I I pulled off the road to get some gas- the power was out so I had to drive to the next exit- same thing. My wife had called to tell me about the damage in and around Ft Wayne. I saw large signs blown down on the interstate all the way from Anderson to Fort Wayne. Very strange.

journalgazette.net...

When I left S Ind I left 101 degrees - It was 67 in Indianapolis!

It has been unusually hot and dry this past few weeks.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Maybe a small tornado passed by?

Sounds crazy.

Be safe and be careful.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I watched a replay of the the storm which headed east across Indiana then dramatically turned SE. They said no tornado but all damage was from straight line winds..91 mph confirmed at Ft Wayne Airport. The thing is they blew for a sustained period..60-90 mph. Just never seen anything like it.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I was there too. Left cincinatti at 4pm or so, went to hammond indiana then gary then home here in mich. I stopped at the petro at exit 143 on i74 for an hour to eat, it had been lookin a little dark but as soon as i set my airbrakes there was a wall of trash blowing towards me. I immediately looked for the tornado. Never seen anything like that. The storm pretty much bypassed me there, i headed on with nothing weird until i got off work and packed my car up. It was lightninging like crazy, just heat lightning at first, next thing you know its a dull on thunderstorm. I94 was shut down for a semi wreck, i got to sit there for half an hour.

At that point the lightning got weird. Saw a bolt that musta been directly overhead that split out into atleast 10 bolts all around me on the horizon. Shaped like a cage. Followed by in excess of 60 seconds of earth shaking thunder. Like these mysterious booms lol.

I suspect what we saw was simply tornado weather. Weird things happen when such an extreme cold front comes into such extreme heat. Tornados need a very specific set of conditions to occur though. Ive seen them try and fail to form in the past, its cooln

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Finally a topic on here i can provide decent insight with
. I work for aep, I&m, ohio power, all the same company. This storm cut a path from chicago to wv. over 300,000 out in ohio, over 500.000 is WV. These are not guesstimation numbers, straight from my stystem. Kentucky was hit hard as well. Estimations ive heard for ky are set for friday the 6th right now!

outage map as of 6/30
edit on 30-6-2012 by Zox720 because: (no reason given)

Hope i dont get # for putting that up. All i know for sure is that i will be getting alot of over time at this point. My house is without power in columbus right now. Had to take a shower with a flashlight on the edge this morning

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
there's a name for that type of storm. it's called a "derecho". according to the texas storm chasers (which i follow on facebook).... "A derecho is a fast moving line of severe thunderstorms that usually produce very severe straight-line winds. Some of you may have noticed some online services (Netflix, Instagram, etc) that wouldn't load last night. You can thank this line of thunderstorms. " (learned from a friend that it knocked down amazon cloud so any company that used that for online stuff was down).

i've been through one of those types of storms. it was in the winter close to x-mas and the storm was moving FASTER THAN THE RADAR could follow it. it was literally MOVING 60 miles per hour. not the wind speed... but the movement of the storm. when it hit my dad called me. he lived a 20 minute drive away (on the freeway). within 5 minutes of him saying stuff was hitting his windows there was stuff hitting my windows.

it was a straight line storm that tore HUGE signs down all in a straight line down I-10. it spawned several tornadoes too. i've never experienced anything like it and i hope to never experience it again.

posted on Jul, 6 2022 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: pasiphae

Yes, In Ft Wayne we recently suffered a lot of damage from a derecho w winds over 100 mph as clocked at airport. In other stranger than usual news after a period of no rain, we got around 7" in last couple days and it is still raining. Like a sauna here as well.

new topics

top topics

join