It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For reference: Glowing 100+ years Earthquake Map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Article: Stunning Map Reveals World's Earthquakes since 1898

edit on 30-6-2012 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
thats [snip] awesome ! S&F
edit on 30/6/12 by masqua because: removed censor circumvention

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
From source

"First, I was surprised by the sheer amount of earthquakes that have been recorded," Nelson told OurAmazingPlanet. "It's almost like you could walk from Seattle to Wellington [New Zealand] if these things were floating in the ocean, and I wouldn't have expected that." In all, 203,186 earthquakes are marked on the map, which is current through 2003

I wonder if they counted the aftershocks, too but I think not.
Gives the term "ring of fire" a whole new meaning

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Looked at this image more and weirdly, (not trying to suggest this is anything major, or feed conspiracies, just an observation) it looks like a horned devil figure with tail, forked tongue and trident, well I guess the devil is reportedly from a fiery hell and brought hell on earth. Wonder if the ancients or religion makers knew anything about this earthquake pattern, there is a lot of symbology in religions, it isn't all literal.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
wow Great find the earth looks so unsafe i think it is amazing we humans have been around for such a long time

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dino23uk
wow Great find the earth looks so unsafe i think it is amazing we humans have been around for such a long time

Earth is certainly volatile, there have been many wipeouts and we are overdue another......

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

I personally just dont see why we destroy everything every other living thing evolves around its enviroment and we evolve the enviroment around us which is sad, yes we have cool gadge and tech but earth could be such a paradise to live sorry was having a little bit of a rant wrong place to do so i know i just get mad seeing us destroy our home espescially now i have a 1 yr old daughter i wonder what earth has in store for her

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dino23uk

I personally just dont see why we destroy everything every other living thing evolves around its enviroment and we evolve the enviroment around us which is sad, yes we have cool gadge and tech but earth could be such a paradise to live sorry was having a little bit of a rant wrong place to do so i know i just get mad seeing us destroy our home espescially now i have a 1 yr old daughter i wonder what earth has in store for her

Agreed, it's based on a male-centric ego based society of greed and power. If it was based on family-centric sustainability, nurturing and longevity instead of throw away non degradable substances and structures and processed foods then ther would be better health for humanity and the environment and it's inhabitants.

Considered developments would have been preferable to the unconsidered 'solutions' offered by the industrial evolution and large scale domination of the land in an unnatural way. It has only led to overpopulation, overcrowding and unsustainable 'use' of resources.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

I did a search, it didn't show, oh well. It's too good an image to miss!

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
And the source of the data to create the map came from where?
If it was USGS they missed 25% of them

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
And the source of the data to create the map came from where?
If it was USGS they missed 25% of them

If you read the article it says until 2003, so there are more. Data is also in the article and on the top right of the picture, USGS and other sources provided data, including NASA.

Also from the article

There are undoubtedly many earthquakes missing, given the dramatic change in scope and accuracy of seismological instruments from 1898 to the present day. Nelson said he saw a huge jump in the volume of data from the 1960s forward. Yet even without the complete catalog of earthquakes, the map provides a striking visual reference — even though none of the data are new.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Topic already being discussed here.

Thread closed.

top topics

join