It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underwater platform structure found off of Andros Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Mysterious Underwater Platform
23-Apr-2003

Alvin
A mysterious underwater stone platform has been discovered in the Bahamas. Researchers Greg and Lora Little found the huge, three-layered platform lying under just 10 feet of water off northern Andros Island while searching for answers to other underwater mysteries.
Although Andros is the largest island in the Bahamas, it's almost completely unexplored and uninhabited. In the late 1960s, pilots photographed strange circular and loop formations and off the western coast of Andros. During two visits to Andros in February and March, the Littles located these sites during an aerial survey and found they had natural causes. But diver Dino Keller told them about an unusual stone structure he once saw from a boat just after Hurricane Andrew passed by in 1992 that "looked like the Bimini Road, only bigger."

"We were skeptical," says Lora, "but we had to look." They went to Andros where the stones were supposed to be and Lora videotaped while Greg snorkeled out to look at it. He found the strange formation about 500 yards offshore. It looked like a gigantic, flat-stone platform made by thick, mostly rectangular blocks of stone.

In April, they returned to the site for three days to film and take measurements. "It appears to be composed of three flat tiers," Greg says. "Each tier is 50 feet wide and rises two feet above the level below it. The bottom tier has well-preserved two-foot-thick rectangular blocks on its front edge. The blocks are mostly 30- by 25-feet and are lying side by side in rows. The back portion of the 50-foot-wide tier is partially covered with sand and has smaller stone blocks comprising it. Coral is starting to form on portions of it. Then the second tier starts with another row of 30- by 25-foot stone blocks. Several of these blocks are cracked and broken with seaweed growing between the seams. The rest of the 50-foot wide tier is partially covered by sand. This leads to the third tier, which is also formed by the same type of huge stones. The highest tier has more damage, and it is partially obscured by sand and rubble."

The width of the platform seems to be 150 feet, but the length is still unknown. "It appears to be at least 400 yards long," Greg says, "but it ends in a huge pile of sand and seaweed. The structure could be natural, and geologists we have contacted think that it is quite specialwhatever it is. They have suggested that it may be a well-preserved, ancient beach, perhaps 6,000 years old or more. But the tiers increase in height as you move away from the present shoreline toward the ocean. This isn't what one would usually expect with a beach.

"At first glance it looks manmade, or perhaps at least altered and used by ancient people. But we just don't know. More study is needed to really determine what it is. It does bear some resemblance to the Bimini Road, but the stones and the structure itself are quite a bit larger."

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Actually, that site and a few others have been recently surveyed by National Geographic teams and several other teams. It's natural, and it's called (nice jawbreaking name, here): "An off-axis, peridotite-hosted, hydrothermal field "

jelly.pmel.noaa.gov...

(sorry, I found other references earlier but lost them and am too tired to go look them up again. However, they're similar.)

I'm sure that as a geologist you'll find this fascinating and unsurprising in the long run that it turned out to be a hydrothermal field. I'm not familiar with the mechanism here but perhaps you can educate us?

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 06:49 AM
link   
More on one section of the Lost City Hydrothermal Field

www.sltrib.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
...It's natural, and it's called (nice jawbreaking name, here): "An off-axis, peridotite-hosted, hydrothermal field "...

Isn't it possible that it could have been a city, but that it was destroyed by volcanic eruption from below and sunk in the sea? Well I don't know, but I seldom take bastant answers for granted in cases like this. There are many things in this world that is believed to be natural formations etc. that very well could be, let's say, a fosilised Noah's Ark in the Ararat range etc.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Sorry I didnt get a chance to review these other links till now.

Byrd, the first link you provided, regarding an abstract on the subject, is broken. The second link went to an article about mid oceanic ridge formations, which have been relatively well explored. I do agree, such ridge structures are very interesting geologically, as they produce so very interesting mineral formations, and host some very interesting ecosystems that do not exist elsewhere on the planet (these ecosystems were used as the basis for the lifeforms in Arthur C Clarkes book 2010 on the bottom of the world sea of Europa)

However, I have to say there does not appear to be a great deal of similarity between this article and the one previously posted.

First of all, Andros island is NOT situated anywhere near a midocean ridge, and has no apparent recent volcanic activity associated with it.

Second of all, the structures described were found only 10 feet underwater, relatively near shore. Midocean ridge formations are often found under 20K feet of water, and are RARELY found anywhere near surface elevations. The only ones that I know of have been brought to the surface courtesy of ALVIN and other deep submersibles.

As described in the article, the structures observed appeared to have a worked style, uniform blocks of symmetrical rectangular shape, fitted together in apparent workmanship. While many geologic features can produce startelingly symmetrical structures, they are unable to cut uniform blocks and fit them together into a structure!

While I would very much like to read the former abstract you provided a link for, I seriously doubt that the structure off of Andros Island can be put down to a natural phenomenon. Based on the apparent "built" structure, depth, and distance to shore, I would propose 2 possible theories:

1, that it was built in prehistoric times and the area where it was built underwent downward displacement

2, this structure was built during the last ice age (approximately 5000 years ago) during a global low-stand for sea level elevation... After it was built, sea level rose to current levels, inundating this structure. (This would be supported because it is covered in water of the approximate depth of the sea level rise from the last ice age).

But as mentioned in the previous article, we really dont know and further study would be needed.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
dragonrider, do you have a pic of it, I'd love to see it. I have always been fasinated with Atlantis and ancient civilizations.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
No the article didnt include one, sorry! I would love to see a pic as well.

new topics

top topics

join