It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The point of no return. Australia's Carbon Tax coming this Weekend

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

This is it people. Australia's Carbon Tax is coming on the 1st of July
reply to post by daaskapital

Utilities have almost quadrupled in the last ten years without the carbon tax. Nothing to keep them in check I guess. If the carbon tax provides the country with much needed funds for investing in cleaner, renewable and cheaper utilities I would be all for it. Unfortunately, it will not stop the big polluters who will happily pay the tax and simply hike prices to offset the tax rather than look at cleaner, effective change. The government will not step in because they have a very convenient revenue stream to replace the one that they have been steadily losing from all the reformed smokers.

The Government will give lower income families who struggle to make ends meet from paycheck to paycheck a stipend that will mean little when Mum needs to juggle whether she pays a power bill to keep the kids warm or a food shop to feed them. This is not fear mongering, it is a reality now. With the new tax there will just be more of it! And before anyone tells me that they will get an annual rebate; please remember that many pensioners do not even make enough money to necessitate filing a tax return, so they will no get any back.

There was no referendum on the issue. I wonder if our constitution says anything about taxes being invented at the drop of a hat and forced on citizens without them having a say? Must check that out..

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan-D
everyone knows that CO2 is a not a pollutant,

False.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

The end goal is to eventually come up with a set of laws that will justify killing random human beings for not paying taxes. That's the direction the world is heading in.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
with the 20% free power supplied by consumers to the grid, why is electricity bills NOT gone down for public consumption in this reguard, the ETS, Carbon Tax seems only to allow the big polluters to pollute, providing little or no payback for those who wish to be "green". loss of jobs will arrive in the end, no matter which direction this government follows towards reducing emmissions, solar being the preferred choice, where it will still be sold to public at the exhorbitant prices in recuperating costs and thus supplying a carbon free energy source against more polluting ways.

big dollars, less choice with more control is the prime agenda for this government and thier values. regulations made where no chance to go off grid with power consumtion, no chance for natural water as tank systems for the home in use, and all the other "free green" ideals to save on costs as well as reducing the carbon like emissions are all restricted for only a love of MONEY by the few who run this country into the ground.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
This is it people. Australia's Carbon Tax is coming on the 1st of July.

This is another example of Australian voters like voters all throughout the so-called western democracies becoming mere spectators to government decision making instead of active participants.

We the people no longer frame government policy or set the boundaries of government decision making.

Is casting a secret ballot every three years an example of democracy in action and working as it was originally intended or is it nothing more than facade to enable the powers that be to trick voters into thinking they own and control their government when in fact they neither own nor control their government once elected.

To those who would retort that government is elected to make decisions, I suggest that when goverments say, as they have, that they are elected to make decisions and that is what they are going to do., I suggest that, that is exactly how they take government of the people away from the people.
edit on 30-6-2012 by learnatic because: added additional editorial content

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
reply to post by aaron2209

Aaron, it may begin with $5 per week but taxes have an unfortunate history of INCREASING.

Exactly!

Those that think this is a good idea, or even a mute point are deluded. It's going to cripple industry when so many small businesses are shutting up shop or borderline doing so. This is not going to save the world or coral reefs or baby wombats or ANYTHING.

Watch this tax ruin manufacturing at a time when our exporters are already dropping like flies due to our extremely high dollar, labour costs, electricity and taxes all at impossible levels.

I also love the estimated electricity increase, just watch the greedy power companies stick to that one. I would bet my life they will double that increase in the first year alone. That's the problem, the government is trying to estimate the increases that companies will pass on (good luck with that).

Watch as the tax increases, the flow on effect will increase, and the government assistance will be dropped in time. Of course they will sugar coat it at the beginning. The whole idea that this will not have a dramatic impact on the economy is a fraud, as how can you reverse the global catastrophe of 'climate change' without having an impact? This will choke our economy and why? Well we are one of the only economies in the world that has it's head above water at the moment, and we can't have that can we? How can you control an economy that is doing alright? You will need some strings to pull... oh wait, what about an adjustable tax on every industry?

A carbon tax cannot fix climate change that is driven by our sun anyway.

It's a scam people.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andromedabound

I also love the estimated electricity increase, just watch the greedy power companies stick to that one. I would bet my life they will double that increase in the first year alone.

Actually, there was an article posted on ats just a week or two ago detailing how the Australian government passed legislation making it illegal for companies to do precisely that.

The whole idea that this will not have a dramatic impact on the economy is a fraud, as how can you reverse the global catastrophe of 'climate change' without having an impact?

Where did you get the impression that this legislation claims to be able to 'reverse global warming'?
edit on 30-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by celticdog

Remember the "problem" of silent electric cars sneaking up on people to run them over. You'd think having a electric tank or HumVee that can sneak up on the enemy would be an idea that the military would be really into.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by Nathan-D
everyone knows that CO2 is a not a pollutant,

False.

CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Technically however its effects in the green house effect are overstated. Water-vapor is categorised as a green house despite it being a natural process, methane is more of a concern then co2 in my opinion. Most methane is released from decomposing plant life in un-healthy forests, I'm all for forest programs to promote healthier trees, maybe this will also benefit our salinity problem....back on topic

Back on topic,
I have no idea how bad this is going to increase out inflation rate, I see company's day to day increase prices for goods that arn't even directly affected by the carbon tax. My classic is Telstra trying to introduce a "Electricity Usage Tax".

I hate it how the rich benefit and take all our money despite most of Australia actively against this.
The labour government is the biggest joke and of the worst things to happen to Australia in Modern times.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This is the most hair brained scheme ever.

From the most incompetent woman parading as a PM.

She can't even control our borders. The list of her mismanagement and utter failures grow by the day.

What makes me laugh are the idiots who support her and taunt the majority of Australians with the line about chicken little & the "sky falling in".

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? Is it not these illiterates who are pushing this climate change agenda the ones who are so panicked that they need a CO2 tax to "save the planet"?

Is it not these loonie lefties and tree hugging fools who are screaming that the sky is falling ?

Give us a break from all this climate change BS. Notice too the PTB conveniently changed the term global warming. to "climate change" so they can adjust the argument to any Wx patterns.

For our overseas readers we have a loonie Professor down here called Tim Flannery. He is a climate change pusher and for years was harping on about the drought and how it would never rain again. Another Pratt who screams the sky is falling. He is on a big fat handout and salary, gov funding etc to push his agenda.

We have had more rain the past couple of years than we can handle. He now looks the fool that he really is.

A professor of BS. Funny too that he bought a house that is on the waters edge and when he's not bleating about droughts, he peddles the rising sea level theory. What a loser.

And just further on the effects of this CT, it is a compounding tax that will affect everything you buy. Services, goods you name it.

Can't wait till the next election. These clowns called the Labor Pardy and the dirtbag greens will be toast.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: Afterthought

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MollyStewart

This is it people. Australia's Carbon Tax is coming on the 1st of July

Utilities have almost quadrupled in the last ten years without the carbon tax. Nothing to keep them in check I guess.

Exactly. World wide its happening, without a carbon tax. Meaning power prices will never go down using fossil fuels and a distribution network which transmits energy from miles away. People are buying more and more energy hungry appliances ( air cond, plasmas etc) , so they need to constantly upgrade the distribution networks to handle the demand for energy from far away.

If the carbon tax provides the country with much needed funds for investing in cleaner, renewable and cheaper utilities I would be all for it. Unfortunately, it will not stop the big polluters who will happily pay the tax and simply hike prices to offset the tax rather than look at cleaner, effective change.

Of course they wont. But it will change behavioral patterns and mean that less carbon intensive energy will be cheaper. Leveling the playing field.

There was no referendum on the issue.

Virtually all referendum fail. So there is no point. It's a political tool.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
A Kill Zone is an very old military tactic when there is to many of them and to few of you. It is a long term plan for ambush. An area is set aside to demoralize, to create poverty for control, restrict money for/and travel, property ownership, corrupt laws, disarm, disrupt peaceful living, use authority tactics that are often found in cults (where only the leader can have wealth and can flaunt it or by any means face the law) that injustice result in mental illness, murder, suicide with the public. At the lowest point of the plan the trap is closed and Marry Christmas.. The intent is you can not escape death by any means. If your outside the zone you live. If inside your screwed badly. In a UN military world take over they would take out the Christian western world (about 25% and noted such in Rev. 6:8) as it is the strength against NWO. You will note that many that follow orders in Government have no idea the real intent behind the plan and it will also be to their own death. You can see the FEMA camps down under on You Tube just for you.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

So are you telling me that a business paying $500M a year in carbon tax (a number out of thin air) wouldn't look at that figure and think "Hmmm how can we lower this by utilising less pollution producing methods"?

That will be the first thing they do.

Actually no that certainly wont be the first thing they will do. Making large changes to their infrastructure and machinery costs a great deal of money too. The quickest method will to simply be raise prices to cover the extra cost of the tax... and don't kid yourself, that's exactly what they will do. In fact many businesses have already been adjusting their prices for the carbon tax. Australia already has one of the highest costs of living in the world... it's completely ridiculous. For instance take a look at our prices compared to those of China:

Cost of Living Comparison Between China and Australia

Our basic utility bills (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage) are already 469.97% higher than the prices in China. There's no reason to think our soul sucking utility companies wont be willing to suck a few more dollars out of us to cover their extra costs... because they will, and in fact they have already started, my power bill went up dramatically a few months ago. There are several better ways to promote environmentally friendly business practices. Such as compensation for businesses who invest in green energy: and as someone mentioned on the first page the Government used to do that before Gillard ended that compensation scheme.
edit on 1/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Howard at least tried to find a solution to our current influx of boat people.

That's why they're bringing IN the 'Carbon Tax'...They have to get the Money from Somewhere to support them!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
As Julia Gillard famously said, 'There Will Be No Carbun Tax Unda A Guvment Oi Leeeeeed'

What a bogan. Sounds like she herself could use some of that 'Education Revolution'. Not sure what school she went to. She is such an idiot.

Not sure what O'seas leaders get at the end of their term in office, but down here they are given a golden handshake, aka a fat pension for life with all the perks & trimmings.

I personally believe this wretched woman, her co-horts like K Rudd, Swan and all those loopy greens should get a minimum of 25 years with hard labour.

They are a threat to national security amongst other things.

We need an election. Not much chance of that. We even have the conflict of interest with our Governor General being the mother in law of Labor'ite Bill Shorten. That in itself is another joke.

Labor as a party (Sorry Julia, 'Pardy') are finished.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Littlejohnny1
This is the most hair brained scheme ever.

From the most incompetent woman parading as a PM. She can't even control our borders.

Why are they coming, thats the question. Maybe less bombs in BS wars like Afghanistan and Iraq might sort that one out.

Notice too the PTB conveniently changed the term global warming. to "climate change" so they can adjust the argument to any Wx patterns. [/quote

It was changed by George Bush after an internal memo said it was good propaganda.

www.guardian.co.uk...

For our overseas readers we have a loonie Professor down here called Tim Flannery. He is a climate change pusher and for years was harping on about the drought and how it would never rain again.

Not only is that an exaggeration, but one year does not wipe out a trend.

A professor of BS. Funny too that he bought a house that is on the waters edge and when he's not bleating about droughts, he peddles the rising sea level theory. What a loser.

It is not his house which is a few meters above sea level that he is concerned about. It is the few hundred million people in Bangladesh, Burma and India living a foot above sea level that will want to migrate. More boat people that will come by the thousands, that you are already complaining about.

edit on 1-7-2012 by Hannagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysteryMan

That's why they're bringing IN the 'Carbon Tax'...They have to get the Money from Somewhere to support them!

We have a budget surplus, AAA credit rating & under 5% unemployment. The tax is not for extra revenue, it is running at a net loss.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
They are coming because they are opportunistic country shoppers who have already passed through several other safe havens before getting here.

They are que jumping illegals. I have no sympathy for illegal que jumpers that could also be concealing terrorists and other unsavory types like that bastard Cpt Emad.

If these people are that crafty, cunning and selfish as to behave like this then I for one don't welcome them here.

Send them back (and with a strong message to their buddies).

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hannagan

Originally posted by MrMysteryMan

We have a budget surplus, AAA credit rating & under 5% unemployment. The tax is not for extra revenue, it is running at a net loss.

If it wasn't for the resources sector, Australia would be worse off than Spain.

We are just an insignificant backwater with little else to offer. Certainly not our loud mouthed, cocky opinion (as expresssed by Julia last week).

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Sounds like you need a revolution.

It's being rolled out in a way that you cannot avoid paying it. This is daylight robbery yet again.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join