It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The point of no return. Australia's Carbon Tax coming this Weekend

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yea this carbon thing is such BS!! When I read titles of articles like this

"How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world"

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

You can't tell me that my little carbon footprint really freaking matters...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaron2209
Cheers for all the name calling guys.

Great to have a discussion with such nice people

Hope I'm not included in that, I tried not to let my emotions run amok.

I try I say.. not always successful.

If I did, I apologise mate.

We all float on the same land, those who run the boat just make it up as they go along. Tends to make conflict.

pete.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CrimsonKapital

The SMH article - www.smh.com.au...
According to the Sydney Morning Herald article, published 30th Jun 2012, Australians produce 1.4% of global emisions. Australia was 52nd in the world for population or 0.32% of the worlds pop.. - en.wikipedia.org...
Consider their neighbour New Zealand with 0.063% of the worlds population but only 0.11% of the worlds emissions, this is the result of over 60% of power generation from hydro.
Australian coal fired power stations will be the death of us all, lol.
Australia was 11th in the world for per capita carbon dioxide output in 2008. - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Down with the Carbon Tax I say!...Even if it 'Bumped' up Bills by Only *2 Cents* per year it's STILL *2 Cents* too Much!...No IF's or BUT's...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
To compare Australias CO2 output to China's is not even close to a good idea. With 19% of the worlds population and 23% of the worlds CO2 output, China's per capita CO2 output (78th in the world) puts Australia's (11th) to shame.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 30/6/2012 by Lucas73 because: added more stats

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucas73
To compare Australias CO2 output to China's is not even close to a good idea. With 19% of the worlds population and 23% of the worlds CO2 output the per capita CO2 output puts Australias to shame.

Agreed. It's absurd to compare different countries carbon emissions if its just an excuse to avoid dealing with your own problems.

Oh, thats not what you meant?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
That is what I meant.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
who are the biggest polluters.Oil companies and next to that the military.Are they going to go green any time soon hell no.Oil companies have a monopoly.So you pay carbon tax when you put gas in your car, is that tax going to change anything, no it is business as usual.They just found a tax that says it is will help stop carbon pollution and stop global warming.Everything these days is made from petroleum so there goes the hike in price there so someone is making a killing at the top. Oil companies have government/politicians in their back pocket so they end up getting what they want and that is why I find ,you voted these guys in so it is your fault mind set funny.They want to drill in the arctic. I guess they forgot about the exxon valdez. I wouldn't mind paying the tax if they were actually making an effort to better the world and make things environmentally friendly.The only thing that is GREEN is the money

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenavv

Originally posted by aaron2209
If those costs are all per week, then that equals $291.20 per year. If I'm getting a tax cut of $300 per year, I'm actually ahead.

The world will not end tomorrow because of the carbon tax.

It's all incremental so no one revolts... imagine if 10 years ago governments told the masses they are going to tax you for exhaling and for what plants breath

And that the people who brought this stuff to us worship an earth goddess named Gaia to boot. Brought to us by atheists, errrr wait no they worhsip an imaginary goddess... who would have thought. maybe all that stuff about the Illuminati is true...

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
And then it will be all of the nations that will have to transfer to a carbon tax-based economies. Thank you for the thread, was wondering when the UN was going to transfer our entire economies to something as abstract as "carbon tax"... The UN will then claim to be the only ones worthy of taking care of our economies (and life-styles, mentalities, etc) and any nation that will want to be out of the equation will be punished and banned, like with Syria and Iran when they didn't wanted to be under the Rothschilds Bank.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucas73

yes, hat is more clear now

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So you're being taxed For the GHGs being emitted from the fuel burning while you drive.
Don't drive.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
In Canada our carbon tax goes up 1 cent July 1st
Carbon tax increase

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Apparently Australia produces approximately 1.4% of the total human CO2-emissions emitted globally every year (remember, that carbon is CO2, the only difference is that CO2 has two oxygen atoms and they dissociate when CO2 is sequestrated, no doubt 'carbon' sounds more dirty than CO2, which I suspect is probably why they say carbon instead of CO2). Given that Australia produces 1.4% of the total human CO2-emissions yearly (which is 29 gigatonnes according to the IPCC) that accounts for 0.4 gigatonnes which corresponds to 0.05ppmv that Australia is contributing to the atmospheric CO2 greenhouse each year (assuming all the CO2 stays in the atmosphere and is not absorbed by natural sinks). The IPCC use the following equation to calculate radiative forcing increments from increases in atmospheric CO2: ΔRF = 5.35xLn(C1/C0). Where C1 is the final CO2 concentration, C0 is the reference CO2 concentration, Ln is the natural logarithm of, and ΔRF stands for increment of radiative forcing. The current CO2 level stands at 392ppmv. Hence Australia is contributing 5.35xLn(392.05/392) = 0.0007W/sq.m of radiative forcing each year. By the Stefan-Boltzmann law that corresponds to a temperature increase of: (288^4 + 0.45/σ)^0.25 – 288 = 0.00013C. That is what the Australian public are being taxed for. Pathetic.

To prevent a 0.00013C temperature increase per year. Bring on Agenda 21. Who can stop it now?
edit on 30-6-2012 by Nathan-D because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathan-D

So, even though the natural resources that produce the power that australians consume is getting more scarce, you dont think there is any reason for the Aussie government to try and limit the use of those limited and dwindling resources?

Really?

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

How much more scarce is oil becoming? I hear we have more than a thousand years of reserves. If so, it seems a bit premature for a tax, wouldn't you agree? But as I understand this tax is being passed because of the fears over climate change and the computer-model simulations and so-called evidence that says increasing atmospheric CO2 is environmentally deleterious. That is why everyone I come across seems to be convinced that carbon (i.e. CO2) is a pollutant. It's madness.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan-D

How much more scarce is oil becoming? I hear we have more than a thousand years of reserves.

A thousand years?? Citation needed.

---------------------------------------------------

Also, AUS relies heavily on coal for their energy purposes, not oil. Coal is more than half of energy production, oil is about 2%. And the consumption of coal in AUS is up by an enormous percentage over the past decade or two

www.world-nuclear.org...

That is why everyone I come across seems to be convinced that carbon is a pollutant. It's madness.

Not carbon. Carbon dioxide, which is a known greenhouse gas.
edit on 30-6-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

People use carbon and CO2 interchangeably these days. When you hear the government say we need to reduce carbon-emissions, what they mean is CO2-emissions, of course, but carbon sounds more dirty. Or when you hear car manufacturers boast that their cars are the least pollutant because they have the lowest carbon emissions, what they mean is CO2-emissions, but everyone knows that CO2 is a not a pollutant, which is why they say carbon instead. It's Newspeak.

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

you obviously have no idea what you are taking about..

for someone trolling a conspiracy site

you should at least understand the incremental steps being taking here towards

a disgusting future where this carbon tax will encompass everything..

you are breathing right? there will soon be a carbon footprint tax for a baby's expected lifespan..

but hey, $5 bucks isn't going to end the world is it?

the point would be legislation put through forcibly, even though you might not think its much..

the people were left out of the decision yet most certainly will feel the tax in everything..

now that it is on the books it will not go away as quickly as it arrived..

but you got it all figured out right? no big deal..

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
This is it people. Australia's Carbon Tax is coming on the 1st of July.

It all began with Australia's current Prime Minister winning an election on the promise that there would "not be a carbon tax under any government i lead." This was eventually proven to be a lie when she forced it through with teh help of the Greens.

That's just rubbish and misleading. It's the stuff perpetrated by right wing shock jocks and gooped up by partisans. Thefact is, they did not win the election outright. They did not have anywhere near the seats required to win. No one did. But together with minor parties they formed a coalition. This means that their policies are not the prevailing policy set. There has to be give and take. In order for them to form government, they had to agree with the Greens wishes to implement a carbon tax. The independents also agreed to this.

The Australian public, for the majority have been against this move and our Prime Minister ever since she forced it in.

That's because conservatives own all the media in Australia. Hard to form a balanced opinion, when there is only one side being told in the media.

The government has finally acknowledged this and is attempting to give out tax benefits to families...

This was acknowledged from the very beginning. That's why the tax is running at a loss for the government while it is being implemented. They are making no net gain. It's a transition phase until an ETS is introduced. It's designed to change peoples behavioral patterns. Lets not forget that the exact policy the current Labor government are introducing, was taken from the Conservatives under the Howard government, who were going to introduce the same thing back in 2007 had they won.

www.theaustralian.com.au...

Strangely, back then, the current conservative opposition leader fully supported the carbon tax.

www.youtube.com...

Nothing like being in opposition and having fossil fuel companies that fund you to change your mind eh?

On average, households will see cost increases of $9.90 per week, while the average assistance will be $10.10 per week

OMG, economic disaster. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes.The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

AGW is a problem that was going to be tackled under the conservative Howard government and is being tackled under the existing Gillard Labor government. Its being tackled by liberal and conservative governments worldwide. Conservative led countries like Germany, the U.K, N.Z & previously France had large climate change policies.

The argument about acting alone was also used by whalers, CFC manufacturers, slave traders etc etc. It's rubbish and a red herring. 100% of the worlds major scientific institutes say we must act now. People should listen. It's not a hoax.

edit on 30-6-2012 by Hannagan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join