It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The point of no return. Australia's Carbon Tax coming this Weekend

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Littlejohnny1
reply to post by stanguilles7

Our limited renewable energy technology is still in the primitave stages.

And how exactly is it going to attract R&D dollars when our government is spending our tax payers funds on fossil fuel companies? So much for the free market eh? Give it companies that are making Billions.

We are not yet ready to dump fossil fuels

No one said we should in the short term. It's ludicrous to suggest.

as we have nothing else that is proven to replace it.

Sure we do. Nuclear, Thorium, geothermal, hydro.

Wind turbines cannot provide base power. Solar the same.

At present, no. In a few years, yes, with storage. But in the mean time, their use, means less coal burned.

And don't hold your breath waiting for an electric car. The present battery technology just can't cut it. Not yet anyway.

A real glass is half full, optimistic kind of guy.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve1709
reply to post by munkey66

Cut out the restaurants munkey66 that should give you a spare 50 or so a week. Just keep on keeping on. Simply because you can't go zooming around blowing money doesn't mean you haven't got it good. You have a wife and kids. What else do you really NEED? I've got my beautiful lady and one left at home out of 6. Sure, we get some assistance but there is absolutely nothing left at the end of each week. No smokes, no booze, no take away. Soup, a bit of meat, the usual groceries, insurance but not even ice cream or chocolates etc. So suck it up and deal. And whatever you do, DON'T think the lies of the libs will make it better. He is NOT some sort of messiah, he WILL NOT repeal the C tax, he's not able to without taking from the people and that would be political suicide for the bloke who I believe would sell his soul for a chance at being PM. So careful what you wish for, cause if you get him and his, then what you have now will look like luxury.

G'day Steve,

Hey, I'm not a huge fan of Tony Abbott, but surely the lessons of history tell us that life under J Howard/P Costello & the Libs was a far cry from the shambles we are now in under the ALP.

How bad can it get? I think you will change your tune by next election.

Sad though when we really don't have much of a choice but I really think the Libs will bring stability which is what Australia needs so desperately for business and the economy.

Don't be fooled by the job figures and tales of prosperity. There are 1000's of small business doing it tough and many of those so called jobs are less than 15 hours a week.

And again I say, Australia without the resources/mining boom would be in real strife. Like the job statistics, anyone who argues that fact is dodgy.

We produce nothing and we have little to offer besides a lot of holes in the ground.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Littlejohnny1

Re "At least he had some balls. Kevin & Julia are both gutless and lacking character"

You've got to be kidding! They bring on some of the most radical change (that is definately needed) in the interest of the country and not just the party that has forward thinking and future vision and you call them gutless. What a pathetic, narrow minded, poorly thought out statement!

They have the balls to make the hard decisions in the country's best interest. And then we have the little snake that was willing to "do anything" way back when the discussions with the independents were taking place. Don't take my word for it. Even the independents stated they were uncomfortable with how desperate he was and what he was willing to agree to.

Watch his body language for a while and hopefully you will see the REAL Tony. And regarding Howard, he is the bloke who had GW Bush as his bosom buddy. You know, the bloke who took a photo shoot with some kids. He was reading to them but the book was upside down, and another photo shoot where he was looking through a pair of binocs with the lens caps still on. Yep, he was a real good judge of character. hmmmmm

And who were and still are their best buddies here in Oz? Why big business of course! You know, the maggots that will quickly put up their prices and blame it on the C tax. Sure hope they try it and sure hope the ACCC comes down on them like a ton of bricks.

Your turn

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

I don't give a fig about the rest of em.

That's right. Play the old 'Racist' card. I am not a racist. I just don't like dishonest, crafty, dodgy people regardless of their nationality.

Every time I talk with died in the wool right wingers like yourself about other races, it usually goes something like "I have nothing against blacks/asians/arabs....but", followed by some racist, bigoted remark. You don't fail to disappoint.

Mate, we have genuine refugees being pushed to the back of the legit que because of these illegals.

The fact is, 95% of our refugees arrive by plane. Yet the measly 5% of whom most are refugees, are the ones that draw the most anger from the racist, bigoted right wing shock jocks and their parroting fans, who are all to eager to spread FUD with no evidence.

www.boat-people.org...

Tell me something. Will you be prepared to house a family of these 'poor refugees' yourself ? That's the achiles heel for hypocrites like Bob Brown, SHY and all these lefty, do good lawyers. I don't hear stories of any of them taking in a family or child from one of these boats.

Tell me something. If John Howard was a free market capitalist, then why does he sponge off the tax payer after leaving the job? Why doesn't he believe in the free market & support himself?

While these illegal boats keep coming we are facing a further financial strain on our economy and people like you continue to give them your blessing.

No, I'd rather stop the wealthy 95% that come via air than worry about a measly 5%. I'm concerned about the 95% of them that burden our economy and you are concerned about the 5%. Real smart. How well trained are you by shock jocks?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Hannagan

I'm just a realist.

Nuclear ? tell me your joking. Thermo and all the other things you mentioned are fanciful nonsense with the exception of hydro. That one I agree on but it's not going to happen overnight.

We are talking about powering a nation, not the bulb in your outside dunny.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

A growing nation, being powered by a dwindling supply of coal.

You dont see where thats headed?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hannagan

Well there is no point in arguing this stuff. You just can't get through to some folk.

The voters will decide the answers to the nations woes at the next election.

One thing is a dead cert. Labor will be toast.

Well, you have no logic to provide little johnny. And now you provide another one. So when John Howard was voted out, was that the voters providing answers to the nations woes?

The Australian voting public just wanted a change. Try something different.

Sooo, if it's voting out John Howard when we having a booming economy and low unemployment, it's they just wanted a change, but if they vote out Labor, while there is also a booming economy and even lower unemployment, lower interest rates etc, it's saolving the nations woes? Just listen to yourself. Died in the wool partisan.

And just for the record. I have not once promoted Tony Abbott as a saviour but they (the Libs) can't be as hopeless as the ALP

The fall back position of any died in the wool partisan when they have nothing left. "Well, it can't be any worse than the other mob".

We had 12 years of stable gov under John Howard and thats a fact that stares you in the face.

So if it was so stable, why rock the boat? If it was pure utopia & "Australians had never had it better", then why change?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Like it or not. Labor = TOAST at next election and there aint a damn thing you can do to change it.

Keep spouting Julia. You are digging your political grave every time you open your mouth.

'There Will Be No Carb'n Tax Unda A Guv'mnt Oi Leeeeeeeeeeeed' Priceless

I bet little Kevie is tying the noose as I type !!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I'm just a realist.

Nuclear ? tell me your joking.

Why?

Thermo and all the other things you mentioned are fanciful nonsense

Err, Iceland just happens to power their entire country with thermal and hydro.

en.wikipedia.org...

My entire house is solar powered, I don't pay anything for power. Your costs on coal will ALWAYS go up, regardless of a carbon tax. Your right, it's not an over night operation, so why try to shut it down now and make coal the only source of power? Remove all tax payer funding of the fossil fuel industry and let the free market sort it out. Large projects and retooling of an economy take years. Like the NBN, which i can bet my last dollar you would be against that, being a died in the wool partisan.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

'There Will Be No Carb'n Tax Unda A Guv'mnt Oi Leeeeeeeeeeeed' Priceless

You must like the hypocrisy of your fuhrer then.

Tony Abbott:"If you want to put a price on carbon why not just do it with a simple tax."

www.youtube.com...

If they win, watch as he does absolutely nothing about the tax.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I'm just a realist.

Why?

en.wikipedia.org...

My entire house is solar powered, I don't pay anything for power. Your costs on coal will ALWAYS go up, regardless of a carbon tax. Your right, it's not an over night operation, so why try to shut it down now and make coal the only source of power? Remove all tax payer funding of the fossil fuel industry and let the free market sort it out. Large projects and retooling of an economy take years. Like the NBN, which i can bet my last dollar you would be against that, being a died in the wool partisan.

::

Er, This aint Iceland pal. Have you compared the size and geo makeup of Iceland with Australia ?

You are a buffoon.

And stop inferring that I am a racist among other assumptions. It is below the belt.

The NBN is another farce. When did you last see an iPad connected to a wall socket ! LMAO

I have a mate who is high up in Telstra who freely admits the NBN is a dinosaur before it gets of the ground (or should I say, In the ground).

Again, time will prove me correct.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I'm just a realist.

Why?

en.wikipedia.org...

Er, This aint Iceland pal. Have you compared the size and geo makeup of Iceland with Australia ?

No s#it sherlock. The point is, there are areas of geo thermal in Australia that can exploit this. You said thermo was complete nonsense. Clearly, you have no idea.

And stop inferring that I am a racist among other assumptions. It is below the belt.

It was you who banged on about the boat people, I wasn't going to let your fallacy off the hook.

The NBN is another farce.

Your sort is entirely predictable with laser guided precision. How did I know you would also be against the NBN? Only right winger died in the wool partisans are so illogical about this, they they tow the party line instead.

When did you last see an iPad connected to a wall socket ! LMAO

How did I know you would have no clue and simply parrot nonsense statements about this also. Gee, what is wireless connected to I wonder? How does the data move around? Genius.

Abbott said Tony Abbott:"If you want to put a price on carbon why not just do it with a simple tax."

You do realise that don't you?

I have a mate who is high up in Telstra who freely admits the NBN is a dinosaur before it gets of the ground (or should I say, In the ground).

Ok, being in the tech industry, I'm always on the look out for new technology. So what exactly is this new medium that is faster than light? It was a rhetorical question. I know you can't answer that. The point was to prove your partisanship and polemics.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysteryMan

Originally posted by MrMysteryMan

Originally posted by mainidh
Howard at least tried to find a solution to our current influx of boat people.

That's why they're bringing IN the 'Carbon Tax'...They have to get the Money from Somewhere to support them!

The tax is not for extra revenue, it is running at a net loss.

You Seriously don't Actually ***BELIEVE*** that?

Why yes.....yes i do.

www.carbontax.net.au...

It is actually costing them $4B. It makes NO money for the government and wont when it becomes an ETS.

PMSL...Then I feel SORRY for you M8...You can be the FIRST 'Inline' to be Taxed then and if Your HAPPY to fit everyone else's ever "Increasing" Bill$ because of it just so we can live in a "Greener" Country then go ahead!...

edit on 2-7-2012 by MrMysteryMan because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-7-2012 by MrMysteryMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

PMSL...Then I feel SORRY for you M8...You can be the FIRST 'Inline' to be Taxed then and if Your HAPPY to fit everyone else's ever "Increasing" Bill$ because of it just so we can live in a "Greener" Country then go ahead!...:lol

I don't need to be first. Other countries that have had it for years have beaten me to it. Besides, can you tell me of a country where power prices are going down by using coal? So by your reasoning, the countries that haven't got a carbon tax must have ever deceasing Bill$ that are making the place a browner place? Can you show me one?

Some people are so deeply entrenched in the mindset of the we must stay with fossil fuels, free energy or cheap energy is impossible, only salvation and utopia can be achieved through believing in fossil fuels and following the other lemmings until the last piece of coal is burnt.

Back off free energy man! That's a conspiracy. ONLY fossil fuel lobbyists tell the truth. Sheeesh *slaps forehead*

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

So you can not get a WIFI Ipad.

Ipad connected to --> WIFI router --> connected to NBN.

theres no need for the ipad to be connected to a wall socket.

before you talk technology down understand it.

Dinosaur technology alright smarty what is the obsolete alternative?

Lets hear it.

Because last time I heard light travels faster than sound.

So the infrastructure we are getting is glass wires carrying flashes of light. so this tech can only get better with receiving and sending the light.

So basically its a win win.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I'm just a realist.

Why?

en.wikipedia.org...

No s#it sherlock. The point is, there are areas of geo thermal in Australia that can exploit this. You said thermo was complete nonsense. Clearly, you have no idea.

It was you who banged on about the boat people, I wasn't going to let your fallacy off the hook.

The NBN is another farce.

Your sort is entirely predictable with laser guided precision. How did I know you would also be against the NBN? Only right winger died in the wool partisans are so illogical about this, they they tow the party line instead.

When did you last see an iPad connected to a wall socket ! LMAO

How did I know you would have no clue and simply parrot nonsense statements about this also. Gee, what is wireless connected to I wonder? How does the data move around? Genius.

Abbott said Tony Abbott:"If you want to put a price on carbon why not just do it with a simple tax."

You do realise that don't you?

Ok, being in the tech industry, I'm always on the look out for new technology. So what exactly is this new medium that is faster than light? It was a rhetorical question. I know you can't answer that. The point was to prove your partisanship and polemics.

You win hannibal or whatever your name is. It's too hard to argue with someone who is cleary a rabid idiot.

Go back to saving your boat people and paying your carbon tax.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by amraks

So you can not get a WIFI Ipad.

Ipad connected to --> WIFI router --> connected to NBN.

theres no need for the ipad to be connected to a wall socket.

before you talk technology down understand it.

Dinosaur technology alright smarty what is the obsolete alternative?

Lets hear it.

Because last time I heard light travels faster than sound.

So the infrastructure we are getting is glass wires carrying flashes of light. so this tech can only get better with receiving and sending the light.

So basically its a win win.

Laying cable in the ground is from our grandfathers generation.

Wireless is the way it will go.

Ask any Telstra tech (They are having a good laugh behind the govs back).

Oh, I just spotted that you are a Tasmanian. That explains a lot

edit on 2-7-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: addendum

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Countdown to the next big event....... Election Time !!

Labor are goners

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

maybe you have mis understood me but wireless is not really the way to go.

You do know wireless is microwaves and we are probably frying our selfs as we speak with the amount we are putting out.

Our grandfathers didn't have fiber optic cables either, they had copper though.

Wireless will never be faster than fiber optics.

Go do some research instead of misleading people, with things you have partially heard off your telco buddies and most likely mis understood.
Nobody wants telstra to hold them ransom, I would much rather the NBN. My INTERNET will be cheaper than paying for a line rental off telstra.

Also I find the wireless what we have at the moment to be really unreliable and slow.

posted on Jul, 2 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
instead of planting trees, let's fill the nation full of solar panels and wind turbines, add more natural gas lines through everyone's backyard, flood every prime area with hydo-electric mega dams, clear the land for super highways, industrial area's and forced housing developments woohoo, certainly a grand cause just for the sake of keeping australia and the world beautiful NOT.

I don't need to be first. Other countries that have had it for years have beaten me to it. Besides, can you tell me of a country where power prices are going down by using coal? So by your reasoning, the countries that haven't got a carbon tax must have ever deceasing Bill$ that are making the place a browner place? Can you show me one?

isn't this a reason why china wants to stick with less green sources of power, because it is still cheaper than most other processes even though maybe not one as ever decreasing..

maybe the government should start handing out solar panels as a tax incentive instead, and allow the people free energy as they deserve without any use of the grid.

My entire house is solar powered, I don't pay anything for power. Your costs on coal will ALWAYS go up, regardless of a carbon tax.

what power do you use on cloudy/non-sunshine days, your own 20% free power being sold back to you? how about when the grid itself goes down, do you still laugh it up with enough to spare?

how green will it really be when building all these power plants, most of australia will be waiting for decades before being placed on any such grid, in the meantime what choice do we have except having to rely on carbon taxed methods to get by on. who comes first I wonder?

edit on 2-7-2012 by redgy because: re quotes

edit on 2-7-2012 by redgy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join