It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The point of no return. Australia's Carbon Tax coming this Weekend

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Just some of the MSM propaganda in the carbon tax war.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Littlejohnny1

Originally posted by Hannagan

They are coming because they are opportunistic country shoppers who have already passed through several other safe havens before getting here. They are que jumping illegals.

Yes, but why are they coming? Look at the big picture.

You need to take a closer look. They are coming simply because they realise Australia is a soft touch. Welfare, handouts, free grub, housing yada, yada, yada.

What you don't think there are any wars going on around the place that would force people to leave? I suppose you also don't believe there were German, Italian & Greek immigrants after WW1 & WW2 , or Vietnamese after the Vietnam war. There were racists and bigots back then too.

I don't give a fig about the rest of em.

Clearly. And no doubt happy to bomb them for no good reason.

Any genuine refugees are of course welcome but they probably make up less than 5% of this lot.

Any proof of that?....*crickets*

You must be another Labor stooge.

No, as matter of fact, I voted twice for Howard and would have voted for Malcolm Turnbull had he remained the leader. I'm a conservative moderate leaning to centrist. You on the other hand are a right wing Alan Jones/Andrew Bolt fan.

My God, I find it hard to fathom what goes on in the brains of you lot. Gillard could come and personally s^^t in your cornflakes and you'd still vote for her & Labor.

I'm sure the same applies to you. There would be nothing that TA could say that would be wrong according to you.

Pink Batts

Was a fail.

BER

Was a success. It was used to keep momentum in the economy while the GFC was occurring. Unlike, most other countries, we escaped a recession.

Carbon Tax

It's been in 2 days. But regardless of the tax, it's highly unlikely you even know why it's being introduced in the first place. Do you even know CO2 is a green house gas?

Illegal Arrivals

They have been happening since WW1, it's not new.

Mining Tax

Wow, you must really be right wing not to see the sense in that. 99% of my conservative mates, agree it's needed.

Live Cattle

The government doesn't control that. It was the private sector that screwed it up , which needed government intervention to fix.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by repeatoffender
Just some of the MSM propaganda in the carbon tax war.

LOL!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MollyStewart

I found out today Sunday 1st July that my power bill is going to increase as of today by 14%. Just out of the blue. Again! Certainly more than enough cover the cost of the new tax and well above the government projected estimate increase. Let me put it into perspective. My power bill for electricity per quarter is say $420.oo That is just an increase of 14.70 per month. On 1 utility. Wait until the rest come in.

It's true. Coal power is pretty unsustainable. I guess they figure, as supplies dwindle, they might as well squeeze the last few decades f profit out. The question in the meantime is, what will you do to prepare yourself for further price increases (from taxes or scarcity or both) and the inevitable disappearance of fossil fuels? The days of cheap energy are likely over. We can blame 'the government', r we can read the writing on the wall.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by munkey66

I tell you one thing this tax will do, it will stop my wife and I from spending money in our community, the take a way meal on a friday night, the occasional weekend away will stop and instead our money will be saved and if a holiday is wanted, it will be abroad and not locally where we will get better value for money..

What bull#. You are claiming you will spend MORE money on airfare to fly to a different country so you can 'spend less'. But then you pretend you care about your local economy? Please. Crocodile tears.

get your facts straight sunshine,
From cairns to Aukland is $467 dollars Noumea $510 dollars
Cairns to Devenport is $428 dollars, Cairns to Perth is $409 dollars.

So I can travel to another country for less than $100 dollars more and I get better value for my dollar in those countries due to the high Australian dollar.

Right. Which proves my point than you would prefer save a relatively small amount of cash on a luxury vacation in another country than see the long-term benefits of contributing to your local economy

On top of that, it confirms for me that you are not in the dire straights you claim to be in, and that if you can afford vacations, a modest increase in your electric bill is going to make little difference for you.

It also points to you obviously having enough disposable income that your power consumption is likely for a lot of luxury items and that you could easily save MORE than you will see in terms of an increase with just some modest and reasonable cut-backs.

So no crocodile tears here, we will not be spending our money in local resturaunts which are already over priced, we will not be venturing interstate either. we save our money and will now travel over seas for our holidays.

Right. Like I said, you spend in the short term with no broader understanding of the long-term implications of WHAT and WHERE you send. And then you blame 'the government' when the reality of dwindling supply comes crashing down.

I didnt vote this clown in, I did not support this tax and I have always bought and travelled locally, but in the end I have to look after myself and my family and do the best for us.

edit on 1-7-2012 by munkey66 because: (no reason given)

IF you thought about it for a minute, you would see what you are describing is actually NOT in your or your families interests. It's just a spiteful, partisan move to subvert your own economy for your short term gain.

edit on 1-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeuronDivide
The price of everything is going to go up a lot more than the government is saying. One good example is refrigerant gases. They are now 3 to 4 times the price. When you think about how much refrigeration is used, especially in the food, hospitality, transport and medical industries, we're going to see a HUGE increase in the cost of any item requiring refrigeration
edit on 1-7-2012 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

Yes. The relative abundance of the past is disappearing. Scarcity is reality. Don't blame the government if you are still consuming the dregs of a fallen empire.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Well there is no point in arguing this stuff. You just can't get through to some folk.

The voters will decide the answers to the nations woes at the next election.

One thing is a dead cert. Labor will be toast.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

True, but its being handled badly.

Our limited renewable energy technology is still in the primitave stages. We are not yet ready to dump fossil fuels as we have nothing else that is proven to replace it.

Wind turbines cannot provide base power. Solar the same.

And don't hold your breath waiting for an electric car. The present battery technology just can't cut it. Not yet anyway.

When we have solid science & technology to replace what we have, lets talk. Otherwise we will all be back in the dark ages living in caves.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

reply to post by stanguilles7

True, but its being handled badly.

Our limited renewable energy technology is still in the primitave stages. We are not yet ready to dump fossil fuels as we have nothing else that is proven to replace it.

Wind turbines cannot provide base power. Solar the same.

And don't hold your breath waiting for an electric car. The present battery technology just can't cut it. Not yet anyway.

When we have solid science & technology to replace what we have, lets talk. Otherwise we will all be back in the dark ages living in caves.

But that's exactly my point. The current resources you depend upon for powering your (relatively luxurious) lives are dwindling. There are no real 'alternatives' for this level of consumption. So price increases on the only existing, dwindling supply is simply the market at work. As these resources continue to dwindle, we will all be told by the companies holding the resources that it is 'government's' fault that prices are going up. Because everyone loves to blame the 'government'/ But the reality will be that price increases will be nothing more than the outcome of the market factors at work.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Littlejohnny1

G'day lil jonny
Re "When we have solid science & technology to replace what we have, lets talk. Otherwise we will all be back in the dark ages living in caves."

You have hit the nail right on the head there. So by forcing the big polluters to think out of the box, how? by stinging them where it hurts, in the back pocket. They will then start to find NEW ways that WILL lead to technology that doesn't rely on carbon. Wow, maybe there IS hope for you. Even though you haven't quite realised it yet, you have taken the first step to ridding yourself of the hopeless thought patterns of the libs. Well done ol son, well done. Oh, by the way, a little bit back I think you cmmented something about some labor voters would still eat their corn flakes even if J s##t in them. Well all I can say there is every time Phoney Toney dribbles, he is filling his corn flake bowl with what you think was in the other bowls. He doesn't just s##t it, he dribbles it with every con oops I mean com ment

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Lets face it. She is simply out of her depth and should resign in shame.

As somebody who highly viewed and wish to migrate to Australia, I agree.
Now, Australia = another UK, rank is lowered now, thanks to your PM.

I think I need to find another better country, Australia is not "cool" anymore.
Carbon tax is a small thing, but its the starting point of dominance.

Heh, I wonder if the tax really bring down the worldwide carbon emission...NOT!

Its just a mechanism to make more money.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

They are coming because they are opportunistic country shoppers who have already passed through several other safe havens before getting here. They are que jumping illegals.

Yes, but why are they coming? Look at the big picture.

You need to take a closer look. They are coming simply because they realise Australia is a soft touch. Welfare, handouts, free grub, housing yada, yada, yada.

What you don't think there are any wars going on around the place that would force people to leave? I suppose you also don't believe there were German, Italian & Greek immigrants after WW1 & WW2 , or Vietnamese after the Vietnam war. There were racists and bigots back then too.

I don't give a fig about the rest of em.

That's right. Play the old 'Racist' card. I am not a racist. I just don't like dishonest, crafty, dodgy people regardless of their nationality.

Mate, we have genuine refugees being pushed to the back of the legit que because of these illegals. We also have enough homeless aussies to provide for before this lot too.

Tell me something. Will you be prepared to house a family of these 'poor refugees' yourself ? That's the achiles heel for hypocrites like Bob Brown, SHY and all these lefty, do good lawyers. I don't hear stories of any of them taking in a family or child from one of these boats.

While these illegal boats keep coming we are facing a further financial strain on our economy and people like you continue to give them your blessing.

Folk like yourself and SHY are so bloody naive. One day in the not too distant future, all of this will come back and bite you squarely on the arse.

We need to get our act together and protect our borders from these freeloaders who ultimately do nothing for Australia than add to the dole ques and crime rates.

I blame the Indonesians too. They need a kick up the backside for allowing it to happen under their noses.

How hard must it be to not notice a boat being loaded with 200 + people ? They are playing us for mugs.

I call on all Australians to boycott travel to Indonesia and spend your holiday $$$ at home. Screw them.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: Addendum

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve1709

G'day lil jonny
Re "When we have solid science & technology to replace what we have, lets talk. Otherwise we will all be back in the dark ages living in caves."

You have hit the nail right on the head there. So by forcing the big polluters to think out of the box, how? by stinging them where it hurts, in the back pocket. They will then start to find NEW ways that WILL lead to technology that doesn't rely on carbon. Wow, maybe there IS hope for you. Even though you haven't quite realised it yet, you have taken the first step to ridding yourself of the hopeless thought patterns of the libs. Well done ol son, well done. Oh, by the way, a little bit back I think you cmmented something about some labor voters would still eat their corn flakes even if J s##t in them. Well all I can say there is every time Phoney Toney dribbles, he is filling his corn flake bowl with what you think was in the other bowls. He doesn't just s##t it, he dribbles it with every con oops I mean com ment

Again, another absurd & naive train of thought.

The big polluters don't have a magic wand or any viable alternatives. The technology just doesn't exist. Simple physics at the end of the day. You can't run a nation on candle power.

Labor = TOAST at next election.

edit on 1-7-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: Addendum

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid

Lets face it. She is simply out of her depth and should resign in shame.

As somebody who highly viewed and wish to migrate to Australia, I agree.
Now, Australia = another UK, rank is lowered now, thanks to your PM.

I think I need to find another better country, Australia is not "cool" anymore.
Carbon tax is a small thing, but its the starting point of dominance.

Heh, I wonder if the tax really bring down the worldwide carbon emission...NOT!

Its just a mechanism to make more money.

G'day Null

Me thinks you finding another country might be a good idea. Last thing we need is people who who allowed their lovely country be overrun by ethnic groups that have changed the cultural feel of the homeland. How many churches were turned to mosques last year? And if the libs here had have had any sense, they would have let the malaysia deal go ahead as that would have meant that any illegal migrants would have realised that instead of having a chance of jumping the queue, they would have ended up at the back of the line over in Malaysia. Bl00dy Abbott and his selfish agenda, I reckon he would sell his kids for a dip at PM. And regarding the carbon tax, once the polluters are forced to think outside the box, then I am sure huge advancements will be made on the alternative energy side of things. Shame some people don't have a long term vision. So please, try say Canada, or maybe, Isreal, or better yet, Lebanon

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
One thing strikes me as a positive.

Our PM, Juliar Gillard is currently on a two week national campaign trail to promote the greatness of the carbon tax.

Day one and it aint looking pretty. I'd say she's been ill advised to do this.

She'd do better hiding in a closet for a few months and keeping a very low profile.

Her campaign is just re-enforcing the lie and deception and the people know it.

Like watching a woman commiting suicide. Go Girl !

edit on 1-7-2012 by Littlejohnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bonnieprince
reply to post by munkey66

Do you have a balcony or common area at all? You can always get some potted vegetables to put there. If you have a windowsill herbs go great there.
Is it possible to move closer to your work? Is it possible you are using everything as efficiently as possible? Can you find people to car pool with? I'm sure your situation is hard, but it's about finding what works. I think our urban spread is unsustainable, so if this tax gets people to start realising we can't all live in houses, good.

LOL
I am Trained in Horticulture so I know how to grow a pot plant, 12 months full time study followed by a 4 year apprenticeship, due to an injury however I cannot do horticulture as a career anymore.
I dont think I can move any closer to my work as I can see it from my window and do not even have to even cross a road to get to it, my wife on the other hand needs a vehicle as she has to travel for work at all hours.

What works is that my wife and I sacrificed to buy a small unit which was all we could afford at the time and live a very modest life, we eat out at restaurants, visit local attractions and I even work for a local grocery store.

My main argument is that while my wife and I made the correct choices and lived a modest life, we cannot cut back any further whilst my neighbour who is a single mother with 2 children to 2 different fathers smokes and drinks and gets every government assistance known to man. a car that single handedly would fill up the ozone hole with the amount of smoke it produces and has lights and every electronic device running constantly is uneffected by the new tax.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Well there is no point in arguing this stuff. You just can't get through to some folk.

Well, you have no logic to provide little johnny. And now you provide another one. So when John Howard was voted out, was that the voters providing answers to the nations woes?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Re "Labor = TOAST at next election."

Yep, it's a possibility, but if it happens, there will be many in a very short time that realise the liar that they vote in. I can't see why anyone would think he is any better than J just because he admits that his promises can't be trusted. Think of the logic. J is a liar because she didn't keep her pre election promise (even though the govt is a minority govt that must compromise with othe minority parties) but Phoney Tony says he can't be trusted so we should trust him because he was up front about it. Sheesh! what a mental thought pattern. So, if you're right (and really, it's still not a given as many people could actually see that the scare campaign was exactly that) and the libs DO win the next election, at least I have a plan B. I am almost to a point where I can be self sufficient. Only money I will need is for a bit of fuel and enough to cover rates etc, you know the stuff that has to be paid to local govt for them to do nothing for it. How will you cope ol mate? Will you be able to afford the taxes that won't be repealed as well as any new belt tightening that he brings in? Oh that's right, he's like the messiah isn't he. Sure, let me know when you wake up from your dream.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Well, you have no logic to provide little johnny. And now you provide another one. So when John Howard was voted out, was that the voters providing answers to the nations woes?

The Australian voting public just wanted a change. Try something different. They got what they asked for.

And what further logic do you need ?

More boats, more taxes, more lies. Why do you continually bury your head in the sand. One of the 'rusted on' eh. ?

Hmmm, bring back Kevin Rudd ? What a disaster Labor is. You cannot escape the cold hard fact that they are stumbling from one cockup to another.

What will they come up with next one asks. At least they are providing us with entertainment.

And just for the record. I have not once promoted Tony Abbott as a saviour but they (the Libs) can't be as hopeless as the ALP under the helm of dopey Dora surely ? We had 12 years of stable gov under John Howard and thats a fact that stares you in the face.

At least he had some balls. Kevin & Julia are both gutless and lacking character. I hope Labor are cast aside to the political wilderness for 20 years or until such time that they lift their game with leadership, integrity and sound policy. All of which they are sadly lacking with their current lineup of halfwits.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Cut out the restaurants munkey66 that should give you a spare 50 or so a week. Just keep on keeping on. Simply because you can't go zooming around blowing money doesn't mean you haven't got it good. You have a wife and kids. What else do you really NEED? I've got my beautiful lady and one left at home out of 6. Sure, we get some assistance but there is absolutely nothing left at the end of each week. No smokes, no booze, no take away. Soup, a bit of meat, the usual groceries, insurance but not even ice cream or chocolates etc. So suck it up and deal. And whatever you do, DON'T think the lies of the libs will make it better. He is NOT some sort of messiah, he WILL NOT repeal the C tax, he's not able to without taking from the people and that would be political suicide for the bloke who I believe would sell his soul for a chance at being PM. So careful what you wish for, cause if you get him and his, then what you have now will look like luxury.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join